Author Topic: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020  (Read 203358 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2022, 04:01:27 AM »
I never saw myself lusting after a Kia or a Hyundai, but I'll tell you, the Ioniq 5 and EV 6 are amazing looking vehicles.  Anyone have any time in one?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2022, 10:55:46 AM »
The biggest problem with EVs today is getting one. I have a model Y on order that keeps getting pushed back. I thought I was going to get it in May, but now it's august and maybe September and it's very likely that will change. Tesla is cranking out vehicles and utility batteries at an ever-accelerating rate, and it's not enough. I also have deposits on a Cybertruck and an F150 electric. Whoever can fill my order first get my bucks, though I'd probably keep the cybertruck on order even if I get a Y fairly soon. the market for these vehicles shows no sign of slowing so I could probably flip a Y as loaded as the one I ordered for a decent chunk of change more than I'll pay for it.

In the meantime, the tech is advancing at a breakneck pace.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: October 01, 2022, 07:01:10 AM »
OK, So it took until 2023, but we "finally" took delivery on this Electric truck a few weeks ago.  Man, do I love it.  Getting in some bravery camping outside of the garage.  That self leveling feature is sweet! :).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 07:02:58 AM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 01, 2022, 07:46:08 AM »
Admin, that's awesome. The features in these new rides are truly crazy. The last 10 years in car tech have been wild. Imagine the next 5.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #304 on: October 01, 2022, 10:41:36 AM »
My wife and I are in the market for a new car for her. Her engine on her 1999 Mitsubishi full size Montero LS finally blew a head gasket at 250K+ miles. Same engine, same tranny. That was a great snow SUV / Tank. Yesterday we went to the Orange County Car Show. Learn a lot about the variety of hybrid's and full electric's. The new thing is 'P'Hybrid's and they are near impossible to get right now. The 'P' stands for plug-in. Almost all current hybrids can not be plugged in. The engine and brakes charge the batteries only. Till the past year or so, anything that plugged in was fully electric. These new 'P'-Hybrid's have a gas tank filler on one side and and a charging port on the other. You can opt to drive in all electric only mode where depending on the manufacturer you can drive for around 30 miles on the battery. Then plug it in at home. So never needing gas around town. On the highway using gas / electric you'll get around 35mpg. The cars we are looking at are small to mid size SUV's. Right now some / most of the Toyota dealers are charging around $8k over msrp, because they can. A RAV4 'P'-hybrid is around 12 month preorder time, so we were told? KIA's the same thing. Honda... ditto. Plus they are about $10k more than a gas only model.

Of course it has to have a bike rack hitch mount and roof racks. May just get a Subaru 8) No hybrid...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 10:43:10 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: October 01, 2022, 01:18:14 PM »
BTW, Nice truck. I've been seeing a lot of them. Rivian was the first E-truck to mass sales. Ford is on there tail. Tesla?? keep delaying what ever they will eventually bring to market resembling something of a truck. The Rivian is definitely a mid-size truck.
It's not overhead to me!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #306 on: October 02, 2022, 03:27:39 AM »
Talldude,

I completely get the short range aspect.  I have mine set to only charge to 70% and I never use half of it.  In over a year with EV's I have still never filled at a charging station.  I just had the wall charger installed but I could have been fine with the trickle charger as well. 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #307 on: October 02, 2022, 01:03:03 PM »
My wife and I are in the market for a new car for her. Her engine on her 1999 Mitsubishi full size Montero LS finally blew a head gasket at 250K+ miles. Same engine, same tranny. That was a great snow SUV / Tank. Yesterday we went to the Orange County Car Show. Learn a lot about the variety of hybrid's and full electric's. The new thing is 'P'Hybrid's and they are near impossible to get right now. The 'P' stands for plug-in. Almost all current hybrids can not be plugged in. The engine and brakes charge the batteries only. Till the past year or so, anything that plugged in was fully electric. These new 'P'-Hybrid's have a gas tank filler on one side and and a charging port on the other. You can opt to drive in all electric only mode where depending on the manufacturer you can drive for around 30 miles on the battery. Then plug it in at home. So never needing gas around town. On the highway using gas / electric you'll get around 35mpg. The cars we are looking at are small to mid size SUV's. Right now some / most of the Toyota dealers are charging around $8k over msrp, because they can. A RAV4 'P'-hybrid is around 12 month preorder time, so we were told? KIA's the same thing. Honda... ditto. Plus they are about $10k more than a gas only model.

Of course it has to have a bike rack hitch mount and roof racks. May just get a Subaru 8) No hybrid...
Chevy had the P-hybrid Volt out from 2011-2019, but discontinued it favor of their fully electric Bolt. A foil buddy bought a used Volt several years ago to replace his gas guzzling Jeep something-or-other, and loves it. It really is a very nice ride.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 01:05:01 PM by Califoilia »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 02, 2022, 06:16:51 PM »
TD - A possible way around the opportunistic dealer mark up is to buy the car through Costco’d car purchase program. Dealers have to sell it at list basically, and I think they do so, but by ordering the car instead of current inventory, so no getting around the 12 months…
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 03, 2022, 08:26:02 AM »
We've had a Chevy Volt in Maui for years. Excellent car but I'm sure GMC never made a dime selling them. Too complex, and GMC's method of building cars is mostly assembling components from other manufacturers. No way to make a profit doing that with something as complex as a plug-in hybrid that sells at competitive prices.

The older Volt we have does about 30 miles on electricity, and we charge it from our solar panels. We buy gas for it about twice a year. I think the tank holds 9 gallons. Toward the end of our time in Maui (generally six months) we switch over to running on gas manually, to use up the gasoline and fill up with fresh gas plus stabil. Incredibly economical to run in Maui.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 03, 2022, 10:45:10 AM »
I just pissed away a good chunk of my morning re-reading this thread. It's an interesting exercise. The ideas and attitudes towards EVs changed radically between 2020 and 2022. Reading the first posts it seemed most folks were tentative about ever getting an EV, 2 years later people are mostly concerned with how long the wait is going to be. I'm in that group, I've had a model Y on order for about a year. No delivery in sight.

I drove a model 3 and didn't like it at all, though the performance was excellent by every measure. Anyone who thinks ICE cars handle better than EVs would change their mind in a single drive of a model 3 on a twisty road. I've raced serious wings and slicks cars, and as bizarre as it sounds, the handling of the model 3 reminds me more of those cars than any high-performance street vehicle. My problem with the model three is that it doesn't fit me. I'm 6'2" and 220#. I don't consider that huge, but apparently, Tesla does.

So recently when we visited San Diego to see a friend and attend a concert We rented a model Y to see if I should cancel my order. Just getting in and out of the car convinced me I REALLY want one of these. I can enter the car without ducking under the edge of the roof, and there is at least six inches of headroom (more than a shaka). I drove it for three days and loved it. We drove back from the concert with four people in the car and everyone remarked about how much room they had and how comfortable the car is. I have a set of sea sucker racks waiting for a Y to put them on, but I probably won't need them for foiling. the interior volume is immense and with the seats down I measured sufficient room for an 8' surfboard.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #311 on: October 03, 2022, 11:46:28 AM »
Fortunately for us, we still have an extra car (son's away at college) to use. No hurry here to get into a car payment while paying for two kids in college. Even if we had to wait a long time for one on order, that would be fine. Neither of us really commute, and everywhere we go is typically within 3 to 8 miles round trip from our house. It would be easy for me to add a 240V -50A charger as well.  Still running the numbers to see if we would actually save any money in the long run. Our friend who commutes in his Tesla had to replace his battery at 150K miles. It cost him $14K installed. Most of the manufacturers give you a 100K or 4 years warranty on the batteries for the P -hybrids and regular hybrids.   

BTW, I drove a friends Tesla model X ( same as the Y but has the Gull-wing doors and more fancy stuff) and I actually fit at 6'7, but just barely. My friend who has it is 6'4 and it fits him well. Drove it in the hands free auto mode on the freeway. Just touched the off ramp I wanted on the map and it started changing lanes on it's own. The 0 to 60 is roller coaster crazy fast, and I never put my foot on the brake the entire time I drove it. His model X was $100k / with the 5 years free charging package.
It's not overhead to me!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 03, 2022, 08:09:31 PM »
Talldude, check out the Model Y. It might even make sense to rent one like I did and see if you are as comfortable in it and getting in and out as I was. It's actually easier than my F350 for me. Ridiculous headroom. Of course, if you want one you need to put in a deposit now if you want it any time in the near future. I'm still waiting--now Tesla is saying Mid October to late November. I expect that to roll out further. Though it would be typical for it to come available in November or December while I'm in Maui.

Oh, and Admin, it's still 2022.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #313 on: October 04, 2022, 04:35:06 AM »
Oh, and Admin, it's still 2022.

How 'bout now?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #314 on: October 04, 2022, 06:01:21 AM »
I really like what Chevy did with their bed.  https://us.yahoo.com/news/got-early-look-chevys-105-164308895.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal