Author Topic: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020  (Read 203355 times)

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020
« Reply #270 on: May 24, 2021, 09:37:04 PM »
Late to this thread, but I've put 105,000 miles on a Soul EV as my surf vehicle since 2015. So EV surf cars are already a reality.

Went and checked out the ID.4, Mustang Mach E, and Model Y last month. Any of those would be a good surf, SUP car.

As for EV's as power packs, here on Maui, we do get outages once a year or so. I've often looked at the battery pack in my EV, thinking it should get me through a couple of days of powering the house. So I got an inverter that clips onto the 12v battery. When needed, I just hook it up, turn on the EV and it'll power a few things around the house.

The F150 powering the house is a great killer app. Why pay the $10K for a powerwall when you can put that towards the extended range of the truck and get the bi-directional charger installed for free?

Our Nissan Leaf's 12V battery only gets power when driving - ie not from the 24kWh traction battery. It would run flat in about 10min if hooked up to the house. Looked at some commercially available bi-directional V2H options for the Leaf but they are prohibitively expensive - might as well just buy a freestanding extra battery - I only need about 10kWh to be off the grid 95% of the time. Our next EV has to have V2H built in or it will be off the list.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 25, 2021, 12:07:35 AM »
Nissan did a pilot project on Maui for V2H, but shut it down after two years, very interesting, but the 20KWh battery was really not enough for practical use. They outfitted pilot participants with a bidirectional charger, inverter, and grid transfer switch. I don't think they collected the equipment when they killed the pilot, so there are some people with a sweet setup on Maui.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 25, 2021, 01:58:13 PM »
Committees, focus groups, endless meetings, managing a company like Ford seems nearly impossible to me.  Even corporate gurus would have to give due credit to Ford CEO, Jim Farley (oddly yes, cousin of the talented comedian Chris Farley) for Ford’s transformation.  He has managed to bring Ford into the modern era while preserving and improving its classic appeal.   All this while working with a legacy behemoth of bureaucracy, not a nimble new tech start up.  I’m really looking forward to owning a new F150 and seeing how this company evolves over the next few years.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 02:01:53 PM by Chan »

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #273 on: May 25, 2021, 02:43:47 PM »
What Ford is doing with the Mach E, and now the Lightening is very significant. From their own data, folks buying the Mach E are new customers to Ford. I suspect that the Lightening will do the same. This means they are stealing market share from other car makers!

VW is doing the same with their ID.3 & 4, here and in Europe. The legacy automakers are realizing that EV's are the way to grow their customer base.

Just wait for the Transit EV coming out later this year,  the Rivian R1, the Ioniq 5, and the EV 6. Our choice of EV's to bring our toys to the water is about to get very interesting.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 25, 2021, 03:09:47 PM »
Actually the companies most likely to kick ass in the EV business all have Chinese names that most people have never heard of. It’s going to look and feel like Japan in the 70s. The USA and Europe have been ignoring the EV market too long. Most of the things that go into a US or Euro made EV come from china. Certainly the battery. There is no US company other than Tesla that builds EV batteries. Few that make a motor and control systems. Even the Japanese have just been toying with the category compare to the Chinese. I think there are about 600 car companies in China making EVs. Of those, more than a hundred are vertically integrated. None to the degree of Tesla, but you’d have to be insane or flat out dumb to think China bent over backwards to accommodate Tesla for any reason other than to have a handy target. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 25, 2021, 10:24:38 PM »
Actually the companies most likely to kick ass in the EV business all have Chinese names that most people have never heard of. It’s going to look and feel like Japan in the 70s. The USA and Europe have been ignoring the EV market too long. Most of the things that go into a US or Euro made EV come from china. Certainly the battery. There is no US company other than Tesla that builds EV batteries. Few that make a motor and control systems. Even the Japanese have just been toying with the category compare to the Chinese. I think there are about 600 car companies in China making EVs. Of those, more than a hundred are vertically integrated. None to the degree of Tesla, but you’d have to be insane or flat out dumb to think China bent over backwards to accommodate Tesla for any reason other than to have a handy target.

Completely agree with this - I'm very surprised the Chinese haven't been more aggressive in pursuing foreign markets but maybe there are greater geo-political considerations at play. The biggest short term hurdle facing EV's is price - China has a knack for knocking out product cheaper than anyone else and seeing the effort they've put into the most expensive component (the battery) - they are surely lining up to steamroll the world markets? They have some tasty propositions already from BYD, Xpeng, NIO etc. But right now I'd take a Hyundai Ioniq 5 from next door - if only they were available here in South Africa. South African politicians have been bragging lately that South Africa has the highest proliferation of charging stations in relation to number of EV's of anyone in the world. We have one charging station for every 4 EV's (world average is 20). Which fades a bit when you realise we only have 250 charging stations......

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #276 on: May 26, 2021, 04:35:33 AM »
All-electric vehicles have yet to crack 3% sales share in the US.  We are laggards, but not without reason.  Many of the available vehicles have been either too expensive or not "my car".  The tipping point is right in font of us, though.  Pricing parity with ICE vehicles (without any fancy pants formula or calculator) is essential - and we are there.  Keeping in mind that 76% of US auto sales are light trucks (Pickups, SUV's Vans) whoever produces the must-have vehicles in that category will win here.   "Light trucks accounted for a record 75.9% share of U.S. auto sales in 2020, up from 71.7% in 2019. In 2012, just eight years ago, trucks were 53% of the total."  https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/2020-truck-suv-car-sales-winners-and-losers/

Charging station concerns will vanish for most because they will realize that they will never visit one (never, not being an exaggeration).  I know that I have never been.  If Bill Gates would stop wasting all the chips in our arms we could get some of these cars to market. Damn pedos.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 09:02:36 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: May 28, 2021, 03:23:45 AM »
Skip to 8:16 (or watch the whole thing.  This may be his first time in a truck but Marques is entertaining and deserves his 14 Million subscribers).  The range stats for these F-150's are EPA ratings with 1000 lbs of cargo.  Marques is seeing 360 Miles of range at 80% battery on his test truck and is calculating 459 Miles at 100%.  That would be remarkable.  Ford to 50.

https://youtu.be/J2npVg9ONFo
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 03:34:28 AM by Admin »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 28, 2021, 11:06:44 AM »
Brilliant. I watched the whole video and this is one impressive vehicle. I just hope they can now do something like this in a small Van or SUV. Thanks for posting.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2021, 12:38:02 PM »
incredible -- love my 2019 foresters -- and im not a big truck person -- but clearly i have bought my last gas powered vehicle -- great vid -- short sweet and owned me.....

and who knows if itll be ford that compels in a couple years when im shopping, and i , too, will likely want a small van or suv, but clearly the products will keep wowing us......
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 30, 2021, 09:16:59 PM »
I would break out in a rash if I bought another ICE vehicle. I spent the afternoon getting my race car ready for my last race in July. I thought I was done with this, but this year's Kastner Cup race is in Portland, and Kas did everyone the disservice of dying this year. Super cool guy, I want to be Kas when I grow up, but nope, not happening. So one more race. Today I got everything hooked up, added all the appropriate fluids, installed the distributor perfectly, farted around with a host of little issues, and then discovered:
A. I wasn't getting sparks all the time

and B: cylinders three and four have water in them.

So yeah, fuck me, I have to pull the cylinder head and see WTF the head gasket is doing. Electric cars don't have cylinder heads or head gaskets. they don't make 140 horsepower, they make like 600 horsepower and require maintenance every alternate millennium.

Grumpy.

Then I did a little welding for a friend and had nothing but problems. WTF is going on with my spool gun? I'm trying to weld aluminum and the weld is stacking up and burning. Is nothing working today? Well, it might work better if you had aluminum wire in the gun instead of stainless steel. Who put that in there!?! Oh, yeah, me.

So that was my day. How was yours.

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: May 30, 2021, 11:43:50 PM »
incredible -- love my 2019 foresters -- and im not a big truck person -- but clearly i have bought my last gas powered vehicle -- great vid -- short sweet and owned me.....

and who knows if itll be ford that compels in a couple years when im shopping, and i , too, will likely want a small van or suv, but clearly the products will keep wowing us......

Go check out the the VW ID.4, The Hyundai Ionqui 5

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 31, 2021, 01:53:15 AM »
I would break out in a rash if I bought another ICE vehicle. I spent the afternoon getting my race car ready for my last race in July. I thought I was done with this, but this year's Kastner Cup race is in Portland, and Kas did everyone the disservice of dying this year. Super cool guy, I want to be Kas when I grow up, but nope, not happening. So one more race. Today I got everything hooked up, added all the appropriate fluids, installed the distributor perfectly, farted around with a host of little issues, and then discovered:
A. I wasn't getting sparks all the time

and B: cylinders three and four have water in them.

So yeah, fuck me, I have to pull the cylinder head and see WTF the head gasket is doing. Electric cars don't have cylinder heads or head gaskets. they don't make 140 horsepower, they make like 600 horsepower and require maintenance every alternate millennium.

Grumpy.

Then I did a little welding for a friend and had nothing but problems. WTF is going on with my spool gun? I'm trying to weld aluminum and the weld is stacking up and burning. Is nothing working today? Well, it might work better if you had aluminum wire in the gun instead of stainless steel. Who put that in there!?! Oh, yeah, me.

So that was my day. How was yours.

Thanks Bill!
Your post made me smile. My day was interesting and vaguely weird .....how do you get a clean catch urine specimen from your 102 year old mother and then my wife calls me from 1000 kilometres away that our old dog is having troubles lifting his leg to pee (I have flown into the Covid North American epi-center). Such is life! While I wish it was not so, it is better than the alternative that your friend Kas has chosen. Monday I will fly/drive back home in my M3 electric surf(?) vehicle and Tuesday back out in the surf. I am insanely fortunate.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 01, 2021, 09:57:56 AM »
funny -- stars have aligned for me of recent too -- ill spare you the details, but I am a very lucky human among wonderful humans -- go figure -- we know it cant be about Karma! age? wisdom? me? cant be that either LOL

and re electrics, i'm already converted around the house -- batt powered chainsaws, hedge-trimmers etc are so much more convenient for occasional homeowner use than gas-powered -- i will never again clean a gummed up carburetor, clean a fouled plug, spill gas on the ground, wrench my shoulder pull-starting, etc etc -- if heavier eqpmt isn't there yet, it will be soon

short all pops in crude oil, going forward

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 11, 2021, 08:52:15 AM »
The new Tesla Plaid is flat-out incredible. The quickest production car in the world is now a roomy, comfortable, five-passenger sedan with a 22 speaker sound system, a ridiculously advanced heat pump heating and air conditioning system, and all the features of a mega luxury car with the performance of a stripped-down performance car. Engineering at the "this comes from the future" level.

For any car guy, the notion of a single speed drive system that can go 0-60mph in less than two seconds with an average joe doing the driving and then continue that savage acceleration all the way to 200 mph simply seems impossible. The carbon-wrapped rotor required extreme tension in the windings so they built a machine to wrap it. Spins to more than 20,000 RPM and makes 1000 hp at 200 mph.

Impossible. Elon called it "limits of physics" engineering and quipped "physics sets the laws, everything else is a recommendation".

They also are taking a "required input is a software error" approach to all the control systems, which should lead to a car that you can just get in and say go. Shifting to reverse to exit your garage is a design error.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 08:53:55 AM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal