Author Topic: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020  (Read 203375 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020
« Reply #241 on: February 07, 2021, 10:06:46 AM »
I cracked up watching this, love Will Ferrill:

https://youtu.be/mdsPvbSpB2Y
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 07, 2021, 01:50:19 PM »
Sandy Monroe is a tough old bird, I've been watching his videos for years. He was brutal on the fit and finish of the Model 3 (justifiably) and on how all Tesla's were manufactured--until Tesla started doing their massive castings. Now he's a total fanboy. With good reason. Tesla isn't just revolutionizing how cars are powered, they'll soon be able to build cars for much less than what ICEs cost. The smug dudes on the Autoweek vBlog are still spouting the same nonsense--but the truth is they don't know what hit them, and they are never going to know. Roadkill.

Elon's rap about MBAs is priceless too, though I think the days of people with MBAs parachuting into senior roles was over some time ago.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: March 22, 2021, 06:26:09 PM »
Sandy Monroe is a tough old bird, I've been watching his videos for years. He was brutal on the fit and finish of the Model 3 (justifiably) and on how all Tesla's were manufactured--until Tesla started doing their massive castings. Now he's a total fanboy. With good reason. Tesla isn't just revolutionizing how cars are powered, they'll soon be able to build cars for much less than what ICEs cost. The smug dudes on the Autoweek vBlog are still spouting the same nonsense--but the truth is they don't know what hit them, and they are never going to know. Roadkill.

Elon's rap about MBAs is priceless too, though I think the days of people with MBAs parachuting into senior roles was over some time ago.
My sister just bought the lowest end Tesla.  Wow.  So good.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 23, 2021, 06:24:36 AM »
I'm still considering a Model Y or an old used Model S in advance of the Cybertruck. Once I sell my race car and Nero, the airstream car hauler I won't have much need for my F350. But I'll probably just hang onto it until I get my monster solar installation done at the shop. I'm going to make the shop self-contained for power. It will be a fun project.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 02, 2021, 03:40:13 PM »
I sold a board to a guy who arrived in a sleek glass topped Tesla S, with no apparent way to carry a board.
He said Tesla racks cannot be fitted to Tesla’s glass roofs, and he hauled out some Sea Sucker vacuum operated suction cup racks. I would be nervous but he has used them for a couple of years now with confidence.
Interestingly the only issue is over mountain passes the pressure differential requires him to pump out some additional air.  Just took him at his word on that. But they looked pretty slick. 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 02, 2021, 04:17:36 PM »
A friend of mine has been using sea suckers on his Chevy bolt for a couple of years without any problems. He usually carries one or two bagged long boards on the freeway. His only complaint is they cannot be locked in place so he often takes them off and put them inside his car while surfing. It only takes a couple of minutes.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 02, 2021, 05:20:29 PM »
I sold a board to a guy who arrived in a sleek glass topped Tesla S, with no apparent way to carry a board.
He said Tesla racks cannot be fitted to Tesla’s glass roofs, and he hauled out some Sea Sucker vacuum operated suction cup racks. I would be nervous but he has used them for a couple of years now with confidence.
Interestingly the only issue is over mountain passes the pressure differential requires him to pump out some additional air.  Just took him at his word on that. But they looked pretty slick.

Weird. As far as I know Tesla Ss can accommodate a roof rack. I know my T3 can and the installation is reported to be easy. The roof is designed for a rack to be installed.  https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-s-roof-rack---glass-roof
We see quite a few surf boards on top of Teslas here in Tofino.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 02, 2021, 10:29:59 PM »
Some have the cool little inserts, some don't. My wife's 2014 had them. Her 2019 doesn't. I'd be more irritated about that but she won't let me touch it anyway. Smart lady.

If I had one that didn't have mounts I'd weld some on. See above to see why that won't happen to the one "we" own.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 18, 2021, 12:51:53 PM »
We were very close (placed a deposit) to purchasing a Hyundai Kona EV over a year ago. The dealer tried to sell us an extended warranty that included free oil changes. When we crunched the numbers the Hyundia was going to cost approximately 3K more than a base model Tesla 3 standard range plus. The Kona would have been a better surf vehicle but we decided on the Tesla. Thank goodness we did. All of the Kona’s world wide have been recalled because of fires. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hyundai-motor-electric-recall-idUSKBN2BG3ET

Traditional methods of putting cars together by traditional auto companies are going to have difficulty competing with a the non-traditional North American company that is Tesla. It is a year out and I still love taking this car out for a drive. The drive across island is one of the most winding mountain roads in Canada. Sports bikes commonly drive it on Sundays. This little car is insanely well built and handles and accelerates like a sports car.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 20, 2021, 09:40:54 AM »
If you type the words "Electric Vehicle" on Facebook you still attract a horde repeating the same tired refrains. People are persistent in defending their views while the world changes around them, faster than they can perceive.

The mania around cryptocurrency is the opposite end of that spectrum. Sadly, I realized a long time ago that blockchain was important tech and that I should invest some percentage of my net worth in the various plays--no matter how goofy the crowd was that surrounded the concepts. But I did nothing. I probably could have done a micro version of the Winklevii, who boosted their $60 million gained by suing Zuckerberg (who unquestionably stole Facebook from them) to about $6 Billion by investing in cryptostuff, but I never pulled the trigger. Oh well.

The future is here, it's just unevenly distributed--and unevenly understood.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:43:46 AM by PonoBill »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020 (2022?)
« Reply #251 on: May 20, 2021, 02:29:57 AM »
Ford has done a lot more than I had anticipated.  Great looking product with healthy specs starting at $39,500 (and it gets the full $7,500 tax credit).  That is pretty crazy for a 4WD vehicle.  I am glad that they didn't beat up the "I'm electric" look.  They hit a pretty good balance there.  Dual motor 4WD on all models.  3 days of emergency home power would have been nice for the prolonged outages we have had in each of our past two winters here.  The Powerwall feature of powering your home during higher cost times and recharging at low cost times would be sweet.  Hoseable frunk looks great, outlets all around look nice.  Shoot, I can use my plug in orbital to sand my feet while I'm camping.  Sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-YOvl8ygeg
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 04:16:24 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 20, 2021, 10:58:43 AM »
It's very slick. If it's actually available before the cybertruck I will probably go for it. I really like my F350, but I bought that monster for the towing capability. Since I'm retiring from racing cars this year, after one last race at PIR this summer, I won't need as much towing capacity. But even if I did, the 10,000 pound capacity of the lightning with the big battery and tow package is enough to tow Nero, my airstream race car trailer with almost a full load, Including Peyote (the car, not the drug).

At $90K maxed out it's actually a bit less than I expected to spend on a Cybertruck. I know I sound like a huge Tesla fanboy, but really I'm an EV fanboy, and this truck looks like it will check all the boxes. It also will let me do something I was prepared to spend a substantial amount of money for--powering my shop independently of the grid with solar power. Grid independence requires a monster battery. I planned to do that this year by putting a salvaged Model 3 battery in one of the containers at my shop and adding a huge solar installation. I'll still do the huge solar project but I'll hold off on the battery since having one on wheels is a lot more practical than having one in a container. The full system would cost me in the neighborhood of $60K, and I can shave that to $30K if I wind up with a truck that provides the same power capabilities.

I think the importance of this is a little undersold. Alternate power is far more practical with local battery storage adequate to fully power a house at normal power use levels (about 3.5KWH per day as I recall). If using EV batteries as a power buffer becomes commonplace the utility and cost of independent power generation change dramatically. I think it's stupid that Tesla hasn't already jumped all over this, but they want to sell powerwalls. No one would buy a 10KWH powerwall if they could have their 90KWH Tesla serve the same function when it's parked in the garage.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 11:27:30 AM by PonoBill »

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 20, 2021, 01:36:38 PM »
It's very slick. If it's actually available before the cybertruck I will probably go for it. I really like my F350, but I bought that monster for the towing capability. Since I'm retiring from racing cars this year, after one last race at PIR this summer, I won't need as much towing capacity. But even if I did, the 10,000 pound capacity of the lightning with the big battery and tow package is enough to tow Nero, my airstream race car trailer with almost a full load, Including Peyote (the car, not the drug).

At $90K maxed out it's actually a bit less than I expected to spend on a Cybertruck. I know I sound like a huge Tesla fanboy, but really I'm an EV fanboy, and this truck looks like it will check all the boxes. It also will let me do something I was prepared to spend a substantial amount of money for--powering my shop independently of the grid with solar power. Grid independence requires a monster battery. I planned to do that this year by putting a salvaged Model 3 battery in one of the containers at my shop and adding a huge solar installation. I'll still do the huge solar project but I'll hold off on the battery since having one on wheels is a lot more practical than having one in a container. The full system would cost me in the neighborhood of $60K, and I can shave that to $30K if I wind up with a truck that provides the same power capabilities.

I think the importance of this is a little undersold. Alternate power is far more practical with local battery storage adequate to fully power a house at normal power use levels (about 3.5KWH per day as I recall). If using EV batteries as a power buffer becomes commonplace the utility and cost of independent power generation change dramatically. I think it's stupid that Tesla hasn't already jumped all over this, but they want to sell powerwalls. No one would buy a 10KWH powerwall if they could have their 90KWH Tesla serve the same function when it's parked in the garage.

Spot on - the V2H is a game changer for the EV and solar PV market - charge your car via your solar array and use the excess to power your home at night. Most EV's will only use 7-10kWh per day for normal driving - that leaves plenty to run your house overnight until the sun comes back to continue powering house. The fact that Tesla has been dithering on this is beyond me - their Powerwall is expensive and not that amazing. Tesla are serious laggards on this one.......

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #254 on: May 20, 2021, 01:53:03 PM »

Spot on - the V2H is a game changer for the EV and solar PV market - charge your car via your solar array and use the excess to power your home at night. Most EV's will only use 7-10kWh per day for normal driving - that leaves plenty to run your house overnight until the sun comes back to continue powering house. The fact that Tesla has been dithering on this is beyond me - their Powerwall is expensive and not that amazing. Tesla are serious laggards on this one.......

For sure.  This may give Tesla a nudge in the right direction.  I don't see how they could let Ford (and likely others) sit alone with these features.  It is too compelling.  They have my $100.00.  With 22 inch wheels, 9 inches of clearance and regenerative braking this should be great for our hill in snow.  The regen on the Tesla alone already makes it the nicest snow vehicle I have ever driven.  That was unexpected.  I can't imagine this not being a hit with the contractor set.  Powering a worksite has to overshadow lingering ICE preferences. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal