Author Topic: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020  (Read 203341 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020
« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2020, 09:15:52 PM »
I loved how Tesla's stock tanked after battery day--during it actually. I was sitting there with my jaw dropped contemplating everything they were saying and wall street was somehow translated it all to "you mean it's not ready tomorrow? That's bad."

Of course I bought some more stock, though you don't get as much as when the stock was at $220 pre-split. Still, I picked up some at the post 5 to 1 split price of $385. That's $1925 in pre-split. It closed at 421 today ($2105), I guess someone explained battery day to the wall street folks.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #211 on: October 08, 2020, 03:49:01 PM »
Not electric.. but wow.

https://youtu.be/KpZz9uTpq7s

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2020, 06:08:44 PM »
I loved how Tesla's stock tanked after battery day--during it actually. I was sitting there with my jaw dropped contemplating everything they were saying and wall street was somehow translated it all to "you mean it's not ready tomorrow? That's bad."

Of course I bought some more stock, though you don't get as much as when the stock was at $220 pre-split. Still, I picked up some at the post 5 to 1 split price of $385. That's $1925 in pre-split. It closed at 421 today ($2105), I guess someone explained battery day to the wall street folks.
Incredible run for Tesla for sure. My strategy was to buy a Cyberturck for 10 grand, by waiting for a good dip on Tesla stock and wait it out. By 2021 i was counting on a quadruple that would cover the truck cost. I thought i missed the boat then Covid happened and i caught the big dip in March at $400. But stupid me got cold feet and thought it was a dead cat bounce and bailed with (only :) ) 50% up, who knew it would climb 500% :o in 4 months, in a pandemic. The retail market loves some Tesla, that's for sure.  Until the election dust settles i think Bitcoin and Gold will be my only risk plays. I'm a little fearful for the dollar going forward.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 06:10:52 PM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 11, 2020, 07:19:37 AM »
I have my order in for the three-motor version--I ordered it the day they unvelied it and I'm still about 30,000th on the list. It will probably be the last serious vehicle i ever buy for myself. Though I look at the Tesla semi and think--ultimate motorhome. Fortunately I keep remembering I don't actually like travelling in a motorhome. I moved Fritz into the shop yesterday for the winter. It fits pretty nicely.

I haven't done the math, but I'd guess the gain from the shares I bought at 220 would pay for about ten Cybertrucks. Assuming I sold the shares, which I'm not likely to do. I consider the stock currently overpriced for the valuation and current performance--even projected out a few years. But selling that stock would feel like going short on the future of humanity. That sounds overly dramatic, but there are very few things that give me hope that humanity is smart enough not to kill itself. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2020, 07:46:12 AM »
Not electric.. but wow.

https://youtu.be/KpZz9uTpq7s

That is an awesome truck! But what? 3 mpg?!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: October 12, 2020, 10:24:02 AM »
I love my electric bike, and RC planes taught me what a pleasure it was to go from gas to electric, but I wonder if by moving the tailpipe up the supply chain I just pushed the mess onto someone else?

Have there been definitive studies on the full cost of gas vs electric - proving which one has less impact on the earth and which is more efficient? 

We've all seen the videos/movies/photos of oil spills, "No Blood for Oil", and all that, is there a similar no "Blood for Batteries" movement or issue, wars being fought over lithium or similar?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 12, 2020, 10:43:27 AM »
I follow a thread on another forum about EV's. While there is talk of EV vehicles letting you feel smug while your pollution just goes elsewhere. There's also talk of how power plants can neutralize and/control pollution in a much better way than a car's tailpipe can.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2020, 05:40:37 PM »
It's really a silly notion, and a lot of these ideas get supported if not created by people with a lot to lose when oil stops getting burned. First of all, you don't get to jump to a transformed future in one hop. Sooner or later we need to stop burning oil for transportation. Do we wait until it's gone before we do something different?

The only way EV's pollute at a level even in the ballpark of internal combution engines is if all the power comes from coal. It doesn't. I've seen people write that more EVs mean more coal plants. That is simply a lie. There are NO new coal plants being built in the USA and most projects in the early stages are being cancelled. Google it.

And it's not just the gasoline and Diesel getting burned in vehicles that matter, it's also the infrastructure costs and transport for the fuel. Every gallon if gasoline that goes in your car came from someplace far away. There is no additional transport infrastructure required for moving to a more electrified future--the existing grids are actually oversized for most cases where people transition to point of use generation and storage.

Beyond all that, EVs like the Tesla are extremely efficient compared to IC vehicles. There's a youtube video around that's so strange that you'd have to see it, and do the math yourself to believe it. A guy in Canada towed a Model S around a track with a Raptor truck, using the regen to charge the battery. The idea is that it's more efficient to tow a Tesla behind the truck and charge it, and then use the Tesla to go where you want to go rather than drive there in the raptor. Sounds nuts, but it worked because the Tesla is so much more efficient to drive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaGVoB4Zn-Y

It makes me crazy to hear people say solar is too expensive. Do they live in 1985? I can buy 400 watt PV panels for 70 bucks. I remember when 200 watt panels were more than a thousand. By the time I have my Cybertruck my shop will be independent of the grid, though I'll stay connected and sell a little power, and unless I decide to go nuts and spring for a 3-phase inverter i'll power my 3-phase compressor from the grid. I'll charge my truck from the shop. I'll be generating a lot of power, and storing 75KWH in one of my containers. It's not rocket surgery.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 05:55:03 PM by PonoBill »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: October 22, 2020, 03:42:17 AM »
Hummer.  Not as bling as I expected.  It is a good looker.  Super capable spec (and a price tag).  Not sure it is a surf vehicle but pretty cool to see.  Looks like Ford is going to be alone in the 50K "conventional" EV truck market in the short term.  That is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjMhZKmHKGk
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 03:45:04 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 22, 2020, 01:19:45 PM »
One thing Elon Musk said recently that is a critical element of the future of EVs is that it's ten thousand times more complicated, expensive and difficult to build the machine that builds the machine. (I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist). I don't know the particulars of the Hummer EV prototype, but I doubt GMC had anything to do with building it other than specifying what it was going to be and writing checks. Until they start building a line to make those by the hundred thousands it's just a pretty toy, and nothing more. The car and light truck biz is very strange. Even for semi-production cars like the Chevy Volt, the lion's share of parts making up the vehicle were not produced by Chevrolet, and that's one reason they lost so much money on every Volt produced. Even if they brought a car like the Volt into real production (never will, too complicated) they wouldn't make most of the bits.

The potential for EV's is for them to be uncomplicated and cheap to produce. The new monolithic battery and casting tech Tesla is bringing to bear shows just how simple they can be. Front and rear castings, slab of battery to connect everything together. Bolt in the motors and drop on a body. Unless the vehicle is in a major league collision that core stays intact and no one touches it for the life of the car--probably more than 300K miles and less than 1 million. A drivetrain with three moving parts--unless it's AWD in which case it's six.

No other manufacturer is actually setting up to do that.

Incidentally, Elon was asked if the cybertruck could be amphibious. He thought about it a few seconds and said "sure". With a fundamentally sealed compartment, the thing looks like a boat to start with.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2020, 09:57:44 PM »
I have a buddy who charges his electric car with solar. There’s really no way that no matter what the dirt in a lithium battery, it’s dirtier than petrochemicals. Also, consider the scale.

Go to South Texas or Louisiana and try to tell me how dirty batteries are.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2020, 10:04:26 PM »
Our volt in Maui is solar-powered, and by the time I get a Tesla Cybertruck it, and my entire shop, will be solar-powered. Mostly just for the heck of it. Power is pretty cheap here next to the Columbia River.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 27, 2020, 10:48:18 AM »
This whole "electric pollutes more than oil" thing came up in a conversation with an acquaintance recently who I don't consider stupid. I can't believe how persistent this nonsense is. If you understand that oil is a limited resouce, absolutely non-renewable, then at some point it's going to be gone. Do we try to switch when that happens? If you believe that at some level buring oil and coal is bad for the environment, do you wait for the environment to be totally hosed before we switch?

He also told me it was too expensive. Staggering. Even not considering fuel cost, it's cheaper to build a PV farm than a new fossil fuel plant. It's less than a dollar a watt at retail. Find some other 1000 megawatt power plant that costs less than a billion to site and build. Add in fuel, transportation costs, mining costs, and environmental costs and it's a tiny fraction of a fossil plant. Panels are made of silicon, no moving parts, maintenance consists of occasionally washing the panels, nothing to transport except electricity, which moves through a grid that already exists. Every bit of the infrastructure is renewable. And how could anyone fail to see that EV batteries are totally renewable--at the very worst, they are the richest possible ore. The only thing holding renewables back is dumb grids instead of smartgrids. And the PR/political warchests of fossil fuel companies.

I don't get it. I'm going to have to rethink that "I don't consider stupid" comment.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2020, 05:01:23 AM »
It is great to see prices dropping on vehicles that haven't been released yet, but they are.

Still expensive but a bit less so.  https://electrek.co/2020/11/11/rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-price-competitive-tesla-cybertruck-incentives/

Tesla has had some amazing drops as well.  Really good values there:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32686279/tesla-price-cuts-model-s-model-x-model-3/

The Lucid (517 miles of all electric range) is a beautiful vehicle as well:

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:36:38 AM by Admin »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2020, 11:59:55 AM »
In addition to what Pono pointed out about the environmental costs of fossil fuels, it is a lot easier,  more environmentally friendly and much cheaper to install charging station than to put in a gas station. I looked at the Tesla charging map for Baja and found that there are areas where there are charging stations that do not have gas stations. Several hotels have added 18kW and 13kW chargers. For example, there are no gas stations from El Rosario to Guerrero Negro which is about 200 miles, but they have installed a couple of 13kW chargers in Catavina which is 75 miles from El Rosario. This is important because there are great surf spots between the two and it's always been a hassle to have enough gas to explore the Seven Sisters area. Looks like today there's no problem driving to the tip of Baja in my future Cyber Truck.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal