Author Topic: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020  (Read 203372 times)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2019, 04:01:53 PM »
I really like the versatility of the Tesla truck on paper and I don't mind if a vehicle isn't pretty, but I definitely don't like the box structure that is reminiscent of the Chevy Avalanche and Honda Ridge Line, and it makes the box less versatile imo. The traditional shape and box rails of many trucks allow for very quick installation and removal of brackets for racks and canopies, without having to drill holes, or very few holes, also without the need to weld and fabricate custom bits and pieces. I'm all about simplicity.

I love having a canopy and use my truck bed for many different purposes. I could imagine a custom canopy costing upwards of ten thousand or more for the the Tesla. I would need to hire Pono to fabricate me something, or lots of somethings.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:04:51 PM by robon »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2019, 01:20:51 AM »
So strange. Everyone is using a skateboard drivetrain, which makes perfect sense, and then designing trucks as if they had a massive lump of engine/transmission/transfer case and driveshaft up front and needed a huge frontal area to contain the radiator that has to dissipate 1600hp worth of power to keep a 500hp motor cool--but they don't. That's got to be all empty space--room for luggage or something.

I know people don't like change, but geez.

You could argue extra storage space, lovely spot for the charging indicator, etc. but in reality that is the coolest spot to mount the accessories that we don't use.  Just because I have never waded 3 feet deep, winched anything or hauled a few thousand lbs in a 4.5 foot pickup bed doesn't mean I won't need to.  Its about manly, Stanley.  https://manofmany.com/rides/cars/rivian-r1s-off-road-mods-keep-up-manly-appearances

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 02:21:53 AM by Admin »

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2019, 10:28:55 PM »
  If there is a will, there is a way.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2019, 03:31:15 AM »
much rather a van than a pickup

unless you actually use the bed, like for dirt or gravel, in ways you couldnt use a van i dont see the design as particularly useful

rack? hassles, and kills fuel efficiency---altho with electric, seems we consider the fuel/energy piece a non-cost---not so sure that'll be the case once all combustion engines switch to electric, which is, likely, inevitable

certainly my dream surf mobile will have a rack, for when necessary--but, for normal use, ill just shove boards/bikes etc in the van and go
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #199 on: December 11, 2019, 05:40:14 AM »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 11, 2019, 11:15:58 AM »
Remember when Pone said this:
So here's the thing that may escape casual looks at this truck. It's cheap to build. No frame, no paint, no stamping. It really is Origami. The stamping equipment that makes the pretty curves of normal cars and trucks is eye-wateringly expensive and wears out relatively quickly, requiring rework or replacement to keep making parts that fit. If you tried to stamp stainless of any thickness it would get ridiculously expensive. DeLoreans used thin stainless and minimal stamping and still had huge fit and finish issues from metal hysteresis and die wear. This design is as repeatable as folds in paper. It's made with a score and bend tech from flat panels. If they did it right (and why not) it's a minimum number of parts and a lot fewer fasteners--probably a welded unibody.

well, here you are:

https://youtu.be/0hEMDVQ0qQg

https://insideevs.com/news/387177/perfect-papercraft-diy-tesla-cybertruck/

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: March 23, 2020, 11:31:58 AM »
I finally drove a Tesla a few days ago. I liked it. Top of the line Model X performance. Took it on a long empty freeway on ramp, and put my foot into it. Roller coaster acceleration. Drove it for about 15 minutes, and never touched the brakes. Had it set for 'no roll' on hill stops. Let it drive on the freeway. One hand on the wheel to keep it in auto pilot. Just turn your blinker on and it will change lanes for you. 60 mph to 80 mph in less than 2 seconds. Wow! $100,000. That's all. I barely fit in it. My head is against the roof. One of the many downfalls of being too tall. My friend who owns it is only 6'5. He just barely fits too. He couldn't believe how my head is jammed against the roof / glass. I'd deal with it if I could afford it :)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2020, 06:17:14 PM »
Model Y has better head clearance and is a lot cheaper. And of course you can lower the seat with a bit of effort. I'm tempted to order a model Y but looking at the waiting list I might have a Tesla Truck by the time i could get one. the early owners of the Model Y are ecstatic.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2020, 06:23:08 AM »
Great looking little scoot from VW.  Probably only a surf vehicle for smaller gear but it is cool to see reasonable specs and range at this price (low $30's with tax credit) and in production.  Ticks a lot of boxes.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2020, 08:51:12 AM »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2020, 01:14:39 PM »
That is the percentage of people who said they would choose an etruck from the selected brand.  Since then Ford has announced its F150 plans and GM with their Hummer truck.  Not sure how that may have changed these earlier opinions.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 12:28:28 AM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2020, 06:59:51 PM »
New guys within 10% of the 100 year old brands? I’d be worried if I was one of the gas guys.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2020, 07:05:33 PM »
It's furlongs per fortnight. Or maybe the result of asking americans some random question like "Do you like vanilla ice cream." There's only one metric that matters--what do people buy. And the answer isn't available yet because guess what--you can't buy ANY of these. And people are dumb and they lie.  You can preorder and then wait by the phone, but bring a stack of Russian novels because yer gonna be waitin a while. If Tesla gets the cybertruck to market in 2021 I predict it will blow a giant bleeding fucking hole in the middle of GMC and Ford. Rivian has some cover since Amazon has committed to buying everything they make until the heat death of the universe, but Ford and GMC will be fucked.

Yup, them Rivians look like a real truck, if you ain't pushin a garage door worth of aero down the freeway then you ain't in a truck, bubba. None of this pansy streamlining shit for me.

Here's the problem, and it's simple physics. An electric car, like the Tesla Model S, might have 100KWH worth of power in its battery. One gallon of gas is about 36KWH of gasoline. Electric motors are a lot more efficient than any form of heat engine, lets say electric motors are 100 percent efficient and gas motors are 30 percent. Close enough. That means one gallon of gas is about 10KWH and your twenty gallon tank is 200KWK, twice as much as any Tesla currently available.

To compete for range the tesla needs to deliver a lot more miles per gallon-equivalent. Fortunately that's pretty easy if you don't need to flow a lot of air through a radiator, and a tesla model S gets about 100 MPG-equivalent. EPA mileage is a lot higher (250), but they're playing with themselves. In real life if you do the basic math it's 100MPG.

That Rivian truck with it's monster grill to cool a radiator it doesn't have can't do that. Here's the problem--it's really stupid. It has all the aero efficiency of a 1968 pontiac station wagon with two matteresses tied to the roof. I can't believe you can pull a bunch of good engineers together and come up with th e-truck that looks like that. Back to the fucking drawing board--it can't be like a Tonka truck.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2020, 12:13:10 AM »
It is interesting to see how the brands are positioning themselves.  Ford is separating themselves from what they are grouping as specialty adventure trucks and they make it clear that they are going to have a big honking front end with a frunk (you know, truck-like).  Pretty clear what he is saying this is not.  https://youtu.be/xQV7NrLJAco?t=270

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 12:16:40 AM by Admin »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2020, 09:20:52 AM »
The tank turn - how cool is that...

https://youtu.be/yzwM8KE2L3I

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal