Author Topic: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020  (Read 203348 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020
« Reply #180 on: November 30, 2019, 09:51:15 PM »
Not so Cyber  8)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: November 30, 2019, 10:01:34 PM »
Or this....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: December 01, 2019, 02:27:36 AM »
Here is a very impressive and detailed editorial on the Cybertruck. It is written by the co-founder of Tesloop. Tesloop use to run shuttles from LA to Las Vegas, LA to San Diego, and point to point within LA county. Now they rent one Teslas for the same market.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/11/27/the-tesla-cybertruck-isnt-a-pickup-its-much-much-more/

The author makes a reasonably good case for all electric vehicles but none of it is limited to Tesla.  That is, except for the parts where he is just being silly ("Chameleon" section).  By the time this vehicle is available it will have competition from all sides.  Buyers will have ample options for capacity, range and style.  You already see corporate buyers lining up in other camps.  They are going to be looking for options that best suit their specific needs and that is not going to be a single vehicle scenario.  Fleet buyers will also be looking at reliability.  This is an area where Tesla has not fared well.

This is Consumer Reports brand reliability list:

How brands fared and their average reliability score:

1. Lexus  78

2. Toyota 76

3. Mazda 69

4. Subaru 65

5. Kia 61 (tie)

6. Infiniti 61 (tie)

7. Audi 60

8. BMW  58

9. Mini  57 (tie)

10. Hyundai  57 (tie)

11. Porsche  54

12. Genesis  52

13. Acura  51 (tie)

14. Nissan  51 (tie)

15. Honda  50

16. Volkswagen 47 (tie)

17. Mercedes-Benz 47 (tie)

18. Ford 45

19. Buick 44

20. Lincoln 43

21. Dodge 40 (tie)

22. Jeep 40  (tie)

23. Chevrolet 39

24. Chrysler 38

25. GMC 37

26. Ram 34

27, Tesla 32 (tie)

28, Cadillac 32  (tie)

29. Volvo 22
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:00:03 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: December 01, 2019, 03:13:28 AM »
It is interesting that the first electric truck is actually already for sale and on the roads.  Sadly, not here.  This little $19,000 stunner was released in July 2019 in China and Asia.  Bolt a lumber/ladder rack on that and you have an epic surf vehicle.

The Rich 6 EV was launched in July 2019 as the world's first production electric truck.  Developed by the Dongfeng-Nissan joint-venture, it’s obviously almost identical to the regular Rich truck design-wise. It’s not exactly wild either with an electric motor rated at 160 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque. But it can run for up to 250 miles on a single charge and its battery takes 45 minutes to charge to zero to 80 percent. What’s more, it costs the equivalent of $19,000 after incentives. Indeed an electric truck for the people!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:53:17 AM by Admin »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 01, 2019, 07:16:17 AM »
Not only could you put racks on it, when you get to the beach you could make a little money inflating kites, wingdings, and pool toys

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 01, 2019, 09:52:04 AM »
Pretty cool, it's kind of surprising that no US automaker picked it up and certified it. It would probably be closer to 30K here, but still...

Interesting times for EVs.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Su rf Vehicles in 2020
« Reply #186 on: December 01, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »
After reading this article I'm sold.
But can you put racks on it?!
You could Tek screw or weld anything you want to just about anywhere on the SS exoskeleton.

Yup, of course, you can also use a rack that attaches to the bed, and there's probably some kind of fittings in the upper rails. The bed is long so it will be easy to get good firm separation between the racks--78 inches is more than most of us manage to get with roof racks and rail mounts. Weld-on stuff is pretty interesting though. Of course, you need to have some kind of access to the back of any panel you weld to--stainless has to be back purged. I'll have to up my stainless welding game, but there's lots of time for that, unfortunately.

Tek screws, ugh. At the very least I'd use stainless rivnuts. I suspect most buyers won't drill holes in a new pickup. I'm not one of them. All the stainless rivet nuts I know of are 18-8 stainless which is generally compatible with 301, so that's a workable attachment option.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 10:09:52 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Su rf Vehicles in 2020
« Reply #187 on: December 01, 2019, 11:43:42 AM »
After reading this article I'm sold.
But can you put racks on it?!
You could Tek screw or weld anything you want to just about anywhere on the SS exoskeleton.

Yup, of course, you can also use a rack that attaches to the bed, and there's probably some kind of fittings in the upper rails. The bed is long so it will be easy to get good firm separation between the racks--78 inches is more than most of us manage to get with roof racks and rail mounts. Weld-on stuff is pretty interesting though. Of course, you need to have some kind of access to the back of any panel you weld to--stainless has to be back purged. I'll have to up my stainless welding game, but there's lots of time for that, unfortunately.

Tek screws, ugh. At the very least I'd use stainless rivnuts. I suspect most buyers won't drill holes in a new pickup. I'm not one of them. All the stainless rivet nuts I know of are 18-8 stainless which is generally compatible with 301, so that's a workable attachment option.

You will need to make them telescoping so to retract them so you can use the nifty vault lid. When you figure it out Bill, make me a set too.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 01, 2019, 09:47:39 PM »
I've been drawing my racks. The front bar a few inches behind the roof peak attached on the outside of the roof rails with welded plates. The same height on the back. Streamlined carbon cross tubes attached with machined stainless plugs--just because. With the streamlined front tube just behind the peak and bulging up to just clear the roof peak, there'd be a minimal aero issue. The back bar would be unfortunately draggy, but that's life. I expect since I'm pretty stuck on foiling that the covered vault would carry all my toys without a rack, but no guarantees I won't change to something silly.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 10:00:50 PM by PonoBill »

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 01, 2019, 10:22:12 PM »
I've been drawing my racks. The front bar a few inches behind the roof peak attached on the outside of the roof rails with welded plates. The same height on the back. Streamlined carbon cross tubes attached with machined stainless plugs--just because. With the streamlined front tube just behind the peak and bulging up to just clear the roof peak, there'd be a minimal aero issue. The back bar would be unfortunately draggy, but that's life. I expect since I'm pretty stuck on foiling that the covered vault would carry all my toys without a rack, but no guarantees I won't change to something silly.

Bill

Make a set for me. If it is going to be a surf truck make it a woody. Dbrand is offering wraps for your cyber truck.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 02, 2019, 01:40:03 PM »
This piece has some info and thoughts for people wondering where the Tesla fits into the truck market (although that's not what the piece is about). Among other things, truck buyers are loyal to trucks but not necessarily thrilled with the particular one they have, a strong majority of trucks are never or almost never used for towing or going off road, and a significant number of truck drivers don't ever use the truck bed.  Also, many aren't overly concerned with mileage or being "green" (but on the other hand, they haven't had good options for high-mileage trucks, either).  Trucks are also overwhelmingly bought by men--I wonder if that will be as true with the Tesla:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/26907/you-dont-need-a-full-size-pickup-truck-you-need-a-cowboy-costume?sfns=mo

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2019, 03:01:58 PM »

Bill

Make a set for me. If it is going to be a surf truck make it a woody. Dbrand is offering wraps for your cyber truck.

Bob
I hope those broken-window decals come with the woodgrain wrap package.

fly2surf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2019, 07:09:38 AM »
Independent, like all Teslas. There's no real way to even make a solid axle unless you have a driveshaft.

Well I hope you’re right, I would much prefer independent suspension at all four corners.

I wonder what that will do to the dually / 5th wheel crowd though with respect to tow ratings and tongue / axle weight?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »
I guess it's all about tire load.

Check out Atlis

https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2019, 12:46:29 PM »
So strange. Everyone is using a skateboard drivetrain, which makes perfect sense, and then designing trucks as if they had a massive lump of engine/transmission/transfer case and driveshaft up front and needed a huge frontal area to contain the radiator that has to dissipate 1600hp worth of power to keep a 500hp motor cool--but they don't. That's got to be all empty space--room for luggage or something.

I know people don't like change, but geez.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal