Author Topic: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020  (Read 204096 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2019, 11:22:30 AM »
Even Pono has one..... 8)

I'm kind of done with my F350. It's a bit pointless. I bought it to haul my race car trailer, but now I'm not racing. And yeah, mine is huge. Diane has to throw herself at it to get in the cab. But I've got it, so until something electric comes along with a utility aspect I'm stuck with it. The only time I use it as a truck is when I take a trailer full of shop trash to the dump--which is about 300 yards from my shop. I've got a trailer hitch on my tractor--I could use that instead.

Same here with my F250. Used to pull a Fifth-Wheel with it. Sold the Fifth-Wheel years ago. It's a 2002 with just over 100k miles. The interior is like new and it runs great. I only put about 3K miles a year on it now. I do use it here and there, and I have a place to park it, so doesn't make sense to sell it.
Our next car will be electric.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2019, 01:03:21 PM »
in nyc electric will be a problem--most people park on the streets which require cars be moved around for weekly street-cleaning (really a ruse to write 140$ tickets--they rarely clean and dog owners were forced to start picking up after their dogs some 30 years ago) so few new yorkers will have regular access to any non-service-station power sources

those who pay 500 per month for their car to be parked (bumper-carred) by an attendant somewhere deep in a garage, will no doubt pay more if they need attendant to plug in a charger for them.

and the city certainly wont be installing outlets on the curbs any time soon

i own a garage so i might be able to hack it, but i often prefer to park in front of my house

i wont buy another non-electric car--tho my 2 2019 foresters will last a while--look like shit already given the mean streets of the big city

god i love new york!!!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2019, 04:47:18 PM »
The prediction most experts are making for car sales includes a big dip while people keep their ICE cars while waiting for the ideal electric for them. For a ridiculous number of people, that's the model Y. I just hope the liftover height isn't what they showed on the car during the reveal. A hatchback/crossover SUV with a high liftover is just crap design. I'll probably get rid of my truck and get a model Y if it pencils out. If I time everything reasonably I can get a ridiculous hooligan Y for not too much more than I can sell my truck for--unless the diesel truck market craters. It shouldn't. If you can't smoke all four tires down to the hub then it's just not enough torque.

Diane turned down a cheap Ludicrous mode on her new S in favor of long-range, and her car is just stupid quick. I've been racing shit all my life and I've never been in anything so quick. It feels like my skeleton is being extruded out my back.

New York City and the surrounding area has a nutty number of superchargers. They're probably pretty plugged up with dickhead New Yorkers leaving their car on the charger while they go get lunch. Altruism is thin on the ground in that overcrowded rat cage--or anywhere where parking is more than a few bucks a day. If the superchargers are completely impossible to access you might look at a model S prior to Sept 2018, eastie. Free supercharging for life. I've given serious consideration to butchering a Model S. At $45K for a P85D you can do about anything you want with it. Pull out the back seats, add a roof rack. Surfmobile you can sleep in that you can charge for free.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2019, 05:49:33 PM »
Oops, I meant "if the superchargers are NOT completely impossible to access"
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2019, 07:53:01 PM »
Rich people have a tendency to think most normal people think like them. I want an e car, most people want an e car. That idea is BS. The e car aficionados will be long gone before that happens. In the mean time I will just enjoy my 2020 Transit 250 AWD eco boost 3.5 with leather,nav,electric cargo door and dual swivel seats.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2019, 08:01:26 AM »
Rich people have a tendency to think most normal people think like them. I want an e car, most people want an e car. That idea is BS. The e car aficionados will be long gone before that happens. In the mean time I will just enjoy my 2020 Transit 250 AWD eco boost 3.5 with leather,nav,electric cargo door and dual swivel seats.

Tesla's aren't for me either. They're too expensive and.., I don't know. I am as green as it gets, and I'm glad to see Tesla pushing the big car companies in the right direction, but I want my environmentalism accessible by normal folk.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2019, 12:46:40 PM »
The economics of electric and hybrid cars are approaching and in certain instances have surpassed ICE vehicles. In Vancouver and perhaps other cities cab companies have switched almost entirely to hybrid vehicles because it makes economic sense, not because of a sense of responsibility to the environment. The cost per kilometre is less primarily because of the large number of kilometres they put on them.

Once the cost of owning and running an ICE vehicle approaches parity with electrics there will be a landslide towards electric cars. Much of that timing will depend on moving the government subsidies from oil companies towards infrastructure for electrics and individual ownership. I along with many other people hope that the time will come sooner rather than later. We are fast approaching another landslide that even technology may not be able to reverse. We live in interesting times.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2019, 12:59:20 PM »
My new Rivian will have 400 miles of range so maybe not an issue for me :) but Joe Biden announced his Greener new deal and he plans to make EV and public charging a priority.

https://electrek.co/2019/06/04/biden-warren-clean-energy/

"Biden is also aiming to accelerate EV adoption, with a plan to deploy more than 500,000 new public charging stations by 2030. He’s also calling to fully restore the electric vehicle tax credit."

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2019, 01:19:18 PM »
...and, while you may not throw a rack on it, you could surely have a fun surf/wind check with the new 800 Volt Taycan.  Maybe not as pretty as the Mission E proto but pretty pretty.

https://newatlas.com/automotive/porsche-taycan-turbo-s/

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2019, 01:44:30 PM »
If you want to see the near future take a peek at Norway.  While 20 percent of the GDP comes from petro, most of the domestic electicity comes form hydro and they have the highest per capita EV utilization. (More than 60 percent of cars sold in Norway are EV.)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2019, 02:20:00 PM »
Rich people have a tendency to think most normal people think like them. I want an e car, most people want an e car. That idea is BS.
As with cell phones, TVs so big you mount them on a wall, home computers, microwave ovens, car stereos, air conditioning, indoor plumbing, electric lights, cars...

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2019, 03:00:51 PM »
My new Rivian will have 400 miles of range so maybe not an issue for me :) but Joe Biden announced his Greener new deal and he plans to make EV and public charging a priority.

https://electrek.co/2019/06/04/biden-warren-clean-energy/

"Biden is also aiming to accelerate EV adoption, with a plan to deploy more than 500,000 new public charging stations by 2030. He’s also calling to fully restore the electric vehicle tax credit."
Wow, that's exactly what I was imagining when I said I thought there's a market for vehicles that have a truck bed without the overblown truck styling.  And while the Tesla truck styling may scare away people who don't want to call attention to themselves, I can easily see people who currently have something like a Subaru wagon getting something like the Rivian (truck or SUV) for their next vehicle, with the electric aspect being as much of a  positive (eliminates worry of buying a dinosaur) as the non-overcompensating styling.

I also think a lot of people aren't yet comfortable going electric yet, but at the same time feel that buying another gas one is a step backwards.  Some people love being the first with something, but more don't (especially when it's expensive) and electric cars are still rare enough that many people don't have close friends or relatives who have one. A few more electric vehicle options and some better charging could cause a cascade effect, and most everyone knows that, which could increase the cascade.  So many people seem to be just waiting now.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »
Actually total cost of ownership of a pure EV is already lower than an internal combustion car in most places. If electricity is super expensive then the advantage declines, but generally places with high electricity cost offer substantially lower off-peak rates and every EV I know of can be set up to charge off-peak. The used EV market greatly favors buyers because the range and features of EV's advance so rapidly. If you don't care about self driving, they're pretty cheap.

The big fear is that the batteries won't last long and will be expensive to replace. That's turned out to be a non-issue. Battery life for well regulated batteries turns out to be much higher than anyone anticipated. Tesla accumulates vast amounts of data about their cars. Turns out that on average Teslas at 160,000 miles have lost less than 10 percent of their range. The original estimates were that they would loose 40% by then, probably because it was assumed they'd be full cycled a lot more than they are. Newer Teslas being routinely charged between 20% discharge to 85% charge lose .3% of capacity per year. If you stay in that range with only occasional full cycle forays it would take 166 years to reach 50% capacity.

Without that concern the entire TCO is initial price, insurance, cost to charge, and trivial maintenance. The gearbox oil gets changed at 75,000 miles.

Pop this to full screen. Weird that it's not quicker, any old 100D will eat it's lunch, including Diane's grocery getter. But it sure is pretty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61XXirmxn4U
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 03:40:45 PM by PonoBill »

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2019, 04:29:06 PM »
Hey there's no turbo in my Turbo...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2019, 12:51:51 AM »
Weird that it's not quicker, any old 100D will eat it's lunch, including Diane's grocery getter. But it sure is pretty.

The Taycan Turbo Spec is 0-60 in 2.6 seconds.  The Rivian trucks are doing 0-60 in 3 seconds.  Those are all silly numbers.   
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 12:53:36 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal