Author Topic: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020  (Read 203361 times)

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Electric Surf Vehicles in 2020
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »
PB,

I went by the local Tesla dealer last night. With the kids grown-up and gone the Model S seems like too much car. And I'm not thrilled with the Model 3's conservative styling. I like the layout of SUV's like my Cayenne, higher driving position, back seat for the dog, all my shit in the back area. The Model X would be a great replacement if only that roof line and gull-wing doors didn't interfere with Racks for the boards.
Maybe I'm not that rational after all.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2019, 10:57:39 AM »
Agreed... Tesla needs to put a roof over the bed of its vapor pickup.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2019, 12:09:26 PM »
Totally rational--I think the model X sucks toads--wouldn't have one. The wing doors are beyond stupid. Needless complexity that compromises the utility. An SUV you can't put a rack on? If they did an X with doors like a minivan I'd buy one even though I think don't like the glass roof either. Any time you need to jump through hoops to have a front window visor that works it's time to rethink the design goals.  I love the model S. Maybe you need to wait for the Y. I have no idea why they made the 3 a sedan. Who wants that?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2019, 11:31:48 AM »
Here is the Tesla model 'P'......Hmmmm. I guess it's halfway to the model 'V'. Kinda Power-Wagon ish. Maybe not?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/teslas-unveiling-of-a-pickup-truck-is-right-around-the-corner-2019-08-31

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 11:35:29 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2019, 09:03:48 PM »
A seriously dopey article and the comments on Marketwatch are as stupid as anything I've seen on Youtube. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise. The author says Farmers need to be able to fix their F150's in the field. Really? What kind of bozo do you need to be to think that's either possible or relevant?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2019, 04:44:47 PM »

Didn't notice that anyone's posted this one yet--just need to figure out where the board goes:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/save-pennies-vw-likely-build-id-buggy/

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2019, 05:52:57 PM »
A seriously dopey article and the comments on Marketwatch are as stupid as anything I've seen on Youtube. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise. The author says Farmers need to be able to fix their F150's in the field. Really? What kind of bozo do you need to be to think that's either possible or relevant?
Not a lot of farmers here in Portland (or Seattle) but lots of pickups, and I'd guess zero percent of owners of trucks built within the last several years work on them. 

He also wrote, "Unlike tech enthusiasts, they value utility and durability far more than gimmicks..."  with "they" being "its target audience: truck owners, farmers and technicians (among others)".

What I see being valued by new truck owners here is size, chrome, weight, the color black, and huge emblems with names like "titanium".  Utility and durability may be what they delude themselves into thinking their trucks provide, if they care at all.  Maybe a couple decades ago people who would have previously bought passenger cars switched over to buying trucks because they WERE practical, spacious and a good value.  Then automakers saw that people who weren't typical truck people were buying them, assumed it was because of image, and started designing trucks to deliver the image they thought customers wanted--at the expense of practicality and function.

Once a Ford executive bragged that their truck buyers had the highest income of buyers of all truck brands.  Then someone pointed out that's because they'd made them unaffordable.

Same thing happened with vehicles like Jeeps and other SUVs, which became "mall crawlers" and phrases like "lockers before lightbars" (or vice versa, as people saw looks-before-function as being positive) got coined.

Now trucks are caricatures, to the point a lot of people who could use a truck would be ashamed to be seen in one.  So I think there's a market for a vehicle with a truck bed, without the overblown truck image.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2019, 07:18:28 PM »
PDX....I totally disagree. You like the web so go online and look at boat ramps across the USA.  All Trucks. Look at what people are pulling RV’s with. Your Yugoslav just  isn’t going to cut it. You need to get away from Portland once in awhile. Even Pono has one..... 8)

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2019, 07:29:43 PM »
Question....What’s the number one selling vehicle on Maui? Toyota Tacoma....I rest my case.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2019, 09:07:25 PM »
Actually, Jeep Wrangler slipped by the Tacoma in HI.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2019, 09:26:21 PM »
Question....What’s the number one selling vehicle on Maui? Toyota Tacoma....I rest my case.
Well, I did say I was talking about trucks "here", not Maui, so I'm not sure what case you're resting.

Even so, you're making my point for me.  Tacomas have grown over the years, too, but they look like compacts now in comparison to other brands' current models.  Their styling also hasn't gone full steroided-out like other brands.  They're very popular here, too, especially among people who use their trucks as actual trucks, versus driving to the office or store.  So it's no surprise they're so popular among truck buyers, as the other makes have swelled in size and price, and largely abandoned the smaller-truck market to them.  I'm not sure if the specs of all brands would bear that out, but it's certainly my impression.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2019, 10:00:36 PM »
PDX....I totally disagree. You like the web so go online and look at boat ramps across the USA.  All Trucks. Look at what people are pulling RV’s with. Your Yugoslav just  isn’t going to cut it. You need to get away from Portland once in awhile. Even Pono has one..... 8)
Ironic that you mention boat ramps.  I live close to one, and have walked through the lot at least daily over the last decade, so a few thousand times over the last several years.  My comments were based in large part on what I've seen there.  Trucks are getting larger with more muscular styling.  Older full-size Fords or Chevys look midsize now.  Plus, almost every newer truck has at least an extended cab, with lots of them having full, four-door cabs.  Not true with older trucks.

And of course people are using trucks to pull RVs and boat trailers.  Passenger cars and smaller SUV's aren't appropriate for that.

I never said trucks weren't popular, which seems to be all that you got out of my comments.  I said they're getting larger with more exaggerated styling, and that I think there's a market for trucks whose designs aren't  focused on size, chrome, and "truck" image.  The trucks of 1990 or 2000 were pulling heavy loads, too, and they look absolutely stripped down and lean compared to their descendants today.  I think plenty of owners of newer trucks today would prefer more options for that type of truck compared to what's been available to them recently.  And, as I said earlier, I think there are plenty of people who wouldn't buy a truck today who might if they could buy something more like the Tesla. 

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2019, 10:00:43 AM »
Four wheels, four wheels, for wheels, how about only two wheels.  As posted on the Rad Power Bike Owners Group page on Bookface.  The Rad Rover, same bike as mine, but I haven't done this.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2019, 07:15:09 AM »
How about just Onewheel 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAQY-COxpcw like this

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2019, 10:40:29 AM »
Even Pono has one..... 8)

Zero percent working on them is for sure. Besides the fact that you can't do anything to them without disassembling half the vehicle, you also need to understand the vagaries of CanBus and OBDII before you screw with one. I've been studying that stuff for weeks now so I can wire my motorhome project without a few miles of point-to-point wiring, and I still would touch a modern vehicle that had any kind of warranty.

I'm kind of done with my F350. It's a bit pointless. I bought it to haul my race car trailer, but now I'm not racing. And yeah, mine is huge. Diane has to throw herself at it to get in the cab. But I've got it, so until something electric comes along with a utility aspect I'm stuck with it. The only time I use it as a truck is when I take a trailer full of shop trash to the dump--which is about 300 yards from my shop. I've got a trailer hitch on my tractor--I could use that instead.

Until the wind picks back up I'm riding my Norton. Or my eBike. Even when the wind comes back if I'm not crossing the Button Bridge I should can use the eBike to wingfoil. It's all set up for it.

About 70 percent of the vehicles sold in the USA are Pickups and truck frame SUV's. (from Statistica--In 2018, the U.S. auto industry sold about 17.2 million light vehicle units. This figure includes the retail sales of 5.3 million autos and 11.9 million light truck units.) Need for a truck has almost nothing to do with those numbers. If you wonder why Ford has basically exited the auto biz, there's your answer.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:46:41 AM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal