Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452971 times)

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #390 on: February 22, 2021, 12:25:55 PM »
The new strikes are out in the wild. Any reports yet?? Anyone use one yet?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #391 on: February 22, 2021, 01:23:06 PM »

I had a go on the 4.2m Strike. Modest improvement. Felt like a 3.5m power wise after riding Ensis. That could be good or bad depending on your conditions. The guy who owned it, says it does the Duotone flip upside down when you crash thing. I think Fone fans will like it. Not sure it will wow people to the point they change brands. I’ve ridden a few new wings. The Epic kites 3m. Cabrinha’s new single strut window wing. Everyone has good stuff coming. Cabrinha and Epic have awesome handles.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 01:39:45 PM by Dwight (DW) »

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 22, 2021, 03:28:10 PM »
DW -- can you give us a quick summary or review of the Epic and Cabrinha compared to the Ensis?  I'm interested in wings that have handles (mini booms) or booms.  The Ensis also looks nice with the long handles, although I suspect if Balz Muller has his way Ensis will soon have a 'boomed" wing.

Here's a short video of the 5 metre Strike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OSZlyr8Y38
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 03:30:44 PM by deja vu »

WingKite88

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 22, 2021, 04:56:21 PM »

I had a go on the 4.2m Strike. Modest improvement. Felt like a 3.5m power wise after riding Ensis. That could be good or bad depending on your conditions. The guy who owned it, says it does the Duotone flip upside down when you crash thing. I think Fone fans will like it. Not sure it will wow people to the point they change brands. I’ve ridden a few new wings. The Epic kites 3m. Cabrinha’s new single strut window wing. Everyone has good stuff coming. Cabrinha and Epic have awesome handles.

Agree, had a go on a 4,2 and 5,0 over the weekend and would agree that it is a modes improvement. If you are a heavier rider above 180 then there are betters wings out there. It still has a slight of a spongy feeling when really pumping.  Otherwise, it is a good wing but not the same revolution the swing 1 was. my2c

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #394 on: February 22, 2021, 05:37:42 PM »
DW -- can you give us a quick summary or review of the Epic and Cabrinha compared to the Ensis?

The Ensis is still the king of power and draft stability, plus tame handling off nose handle. Plus jump height according to my buddy testing them too. I’ve only jumped the Ensis. I rate the 6m Ensis as a little awkward handling. The other sizes are top rated.

I had a go on the 4m Cabrinha. Not as stable as the Ensis to me, but certainly good enough to recommend, if you want their handles and window. Worth a demo ride if you can get one.

The Epic is still in prototype testing. The 3m I rode was only v1 of that size. I enjoyed it enough to see promise for the brand. It will be awhile before we see all the sizes in production. Only one size is released for production so far.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #395 on: February 22, 2021, 07:15:35 PM »
I have a 5.2m Ensis and a 5m Unit. The Unit is easily as powerful as the Ensis if not more. I disagree that it's the king of power but I do think the Ensis behaves better when overpowered. The Unit is much lighter than the Ensis and has a sportier feel IMO. I don't ride the Ensis much. Unit leading edge handle sucks.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 22, 2021, 08:47:50 PM »
DW -- thanks for the update, much appreciated.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 22, 2021, 10:24:24 PM »
I have a quiver of Strikes waiting for me in Hood River. I expect we'll be back there in early March. We'll probably stick around HR for a couple of weeks and then bail to Maui.

I used my AirRush 7.0 at Tourmaline today. I've gotten used to it, but damn that's one clumsy wing. I considered using my 6.0 F-one even though the canopy is pulled away from the leading edge for about a foot. I'm looking forward to the Strikes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wingingtanuki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 23, 2021, 11:38:04 AM »
My little quiver of wings consists of a 5.0 Strike and a 3.5 Ensis.

The Strike is a little stiffer than my old Swing, but can still be a tiny bit spongy when pumping.  The Ensis is much stiffer.

The lightness of the F-ones is still there in the Strike. There is very little flutter on the Strike like there was on the Swing.

Some of the Strike's stiffness could come with its recommended pressure of 9 PSI (versus 6 PSI on the Swing).  I'm a little concerned about durability with that pressure...

The 3.5 Ensis feels heavier than the 5.0 Strike.  Mind you, I haven't weighed them so I don't know if it *is* heavier, but that Strike is super light feeling.

I thought I wouldn't like just two handles, but I do.  They are in the right location for me - your mileage may vary. On the other hand, I feel my back arm gets more tired on the Strike than on the Swing.

The Strike goes upwind *much* better than the Swing, so does the Ensis.

I don't like the long handles on the Ensis - they are too close to the strut and my knuckles get scratched up.

The Strike flips upside down when falling just like the Swing does.  The added dihedral does not seem to make it much worse. The Ensis stays right side up more often.  The Strike goes side to side (wobble) less than both.

My perfect wing would have the stiffness and power of the Ensis, the handles of the Cabrinha, the weight of the Strike or Swing, the stability from the front handle of the Strike and would make me ride like Kai Lenny the minute I laid my hands on it.

I don't jump (yet), so can't comment on air time.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 23, 2021, 06:50:06 PM »
I take my swings right up to 10 pounds--all of them. Admin views ten pounds as a good start. His swings looked like a string of sausages. None of them ever blew though. the only wings I've seen pop are Wasps. which makes no sense since they're plenty heavy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 27, 2021, 08:07:58 PM »
Based on admin and Pono’s 10, I run my swing at 8 with no hassles at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal