Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452955 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #345 on: March 05, 2020, 11:01:16 PM »
Can't imagine what you're doing at Ponohouse. From the pictures I saw, it looked awesome as it was.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #346 on: March 06, 2020, 12:32:38 AM »
Admin, your wind is a lot stronger which probably makes the 6 optional.

At our location, the 6 is required many days. It makes a huge difference for all weight riders.

If the wind is really light, it is the difference between foiling or not foiling.

If there is more wind, it is the difference between getting up easily on the foil, or having to do a lot of pumping with the 5.

The 6 makes the air jibes easier because the more power you have in the wing the easier the air jibe is.

The 6 goes in 2 to 3 mph less wind than the 5, and the same goes for the top end where it gets uncomfortable, but the range is also huge.

At our location the 5 is optional but the 6 is not. We have one regular rider who has a 4 and 6, but no 5 needed. The 6 has such a wide range that by the time it is too much wind for the 6, you can use your 4. I prefer having the 4.2, 5, and 6.

The 6 was a breakthrough for us and opened up a lot more days on the water and a lot less pumping too.

Hi SK,

You are having a very different experience than I am.  Have you had a chance to try with fuller inflation yet?  I don't think I would be getting up nearly as early at 6 PSI.  That may make a big difference. 

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #347 on: March 06, 2020, 09:53:17 AM »
I have not tried inflating it past 7 psi.

I think it is the lower wind speeds at our location because others are having to ride the same size wings as me, but they are probably inflating it to the recommended pressure too.

PonoBill sounds like he is getting a lot of use out of the 6 wing too.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: March 06, 2020, 10:17:39 AM »
Ok first foil video shot by my wife from our deck at our house on the island of Bequia, St.Vincent and the Grenadines.

My 9th day learning to foil  and 2nd day with this set up.
F-one 4.2, Jimmy Lewis Flying V with Fanatic Aero 2000 foil.  Really like it

Winds 17 gusts to 22 mph..would have been better with a bigger wing.
Getting more comfortable with each session although I look like a kook.
Next step is learning carving jibe while up on foil....only 2 crashes today!
https://youtu.be/O39QOaLK718
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #349 on: March 06, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »
I have not tried inflating it past 7 psi.

I think it is the lower wind speeds at our location because others are having to ride the same size wings as me, but they are probably inflating it to the recommended pressure too.

PonoBill sounds like he is getting a lot of use out of the 6 wing too.

Hi  SK,

I can't remember your weight but I think I remember that you are pretty light.  Is that correct?  If I recall correctly Bill wrote that he was over 200.  If so, his 6 is like my 5 or even 4.2.  No getting around needing the bigger sizes if that is your weight range.  Bill wrote above that he is inflating his 5 and 6 to 8 PSI (and if I understood him correctly he adding one more 1lb when it is light).   If so that would be 9 PSI in your conditions.  I find 6 and 7 PSI spongy soft.  You pull the wing right through the air at those pressures.  I bet yo could drop a couple more MPH on the low end fully inflated.

PS:  We really do get all wind speeds (both at home and when we travel).    The other day we started when we could not even get enough wind support to knee start or maneuver the boards well.  Those conditions when you are holding the wing up pretty well define "beneath the threshold".  As it slowly comes up or you get a puff you can feel where a wing kicks in.  I think that scenario happens frequently for all riders everywhere.  Wind comes and goes and it shows you the limits of your gear.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 02:37:42 PM by Admin »

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 06, 2020, 02:57:54 PM »
I will be doing my best kook impression next week in the DR  ;D

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: March 06, 2020, 05:55:02 PM »
Right Admin I am 160 lbs.

Good to know on the inflation. I will try putting a little extra in there.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: March 08, 2020, 05:37:48 PM »
Right Admin I am 160 lbs.

Good to know on the inflation. I will try putting a little extra in there.

I had a pretty remarkable session on the 6.0 today.  I am going have to eat a few of my words.  This thing will take you pretty darn low...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 08, 2020, 07:32:34 PM »
225 as of this morning. I've been tweaking my wings a little hgigher in wind with lulls. There's a big difference with just a pound more on how effective wing pumping is. I can get up in muych lighter air than I used to manage. Some of that is better board pumping, some is ten pounds lighter, but some is stiffer wing.

I played with a Naish S25 a little bit yesterday. Just held it on the beach, didn't ask to ride it--I didn't know the owner. It's very stiff. It's heavy, but the stiffness makes it more responsive to the wind so as long as there is sufficient wind the weight is countered by the responsiveness.

Gen 3 is going to be great stuff.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Light weight, Light wind
« Reply #354 on: March 09, 2020, 02:41:27 AM »
Here is a quick (beach only) video of a 5 Meter F-One Swing in 2-5 MPH wind.  The Swing is so light that it will fly itself when the palms are barely swaying.  So calm and well behaved.  The lack of extra (unnecessary?) handles allow the strut end to stay elevated.  That is unique and really nice.  The trailing edge wants to drop in light winds on the other wings that I have owned or tried that have more weight back there. I dig that the Swing holds its foil shape without wind.  I think that that is a big part of its magic and why it stays so manageable when the wind becomes really light or even too light.  A few minutes after I shot this I got a super fun foiling session on my 6 Meter Swing.  The wind meter never showed above 8 MPH :).  It was so light that I couldn't kneestart most of the time.  That meant a standing start (which I suck at).  I was laughing out loud that it could be that light and it was still foilable.  I had the whole coast to myself.  A couple of kiters on 15 Meter race foils and foilboards joined me after an hour.  It was great.  Then the wind dropped and we all swam in.  :)  I freaking love this sport!

https://youtu.be/GR0VR6cTDJQ

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Light weight, Light wind
« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2020, 05:20:44 AM »
So good that you can foil in such light wind. So good!!!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #356 on: March 26, 2020, 02:09:18 AM »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #357 on: March 30, 2020, 05:46:15 AM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 30, 2020, 09:49:47 AM »
Quote: ...and some video of the same...Wow.

Nice links, that invisibility feature is a cool trick. If you're having trouble posting I can give you some technical help. I think your automatic link parser is all bustzz. At least it doesn't like Facebook and Instagram links--but then, who does. I tried to dig the file locations out of the page html but sheesh, that info is seriously buried, probably only exists as a pointer to some SQL record. 

Interestingly, if you reply to the thread and look at the previous postings you can see and use the links.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:02:33 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #359 on: April 09, 2020, 07:25:02 AM »
The Slingshot clone of the Swing. Nuzzipod posted a video. The play it once and vanish type I can’t post here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-wDf51Dwzc/?igshid=sn1rgbtxe321

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal