Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 453024 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #330 on: March 03, 2020, 08:23:10 AM »
PS: 6 PSI feels supers super soft and response laggy to me.  I know that it is suggested for the 5 and 6 but I notice a big difference with higher pressure.  In light wind I feel like I lose a meter (at least) on these wings at 6 PSI.  Way too much of the wing pump is lost to  leading edge flex.  At higher PSI you get out what you put in and it leads to significantly quicker low wind take offs.

So Admin., what pressure do you pump yours to?

9-10.  At 6 PSI (on my pump's guage) if I push my thumb hard into the leading edge I get about .5 cm of give.  At 9-10 it is about 1 mm of give.  We are down in Mexico and I had the 6 pumped like this yesterday (warm day bright sun).  It remained the same with just a tiny bit of give.  You would need to be comfortable going firmer than the MFG suggests but at 6 PSI you are leaving a LOT of goodness behind.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: March 03, 2020, 08:30:28 AM »
Admin- You had me at "full Boner"

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 03, 2020, 08:42:20 AM »
PS: 6 PSI feels supers super soft and response laggy to me.  I know that it is suggested for the 5 and 6 but I notice a big difference with higher pressure.  In light wind I feel like I lose a meter (at least) on these wings at 6 PSI.  Way too much of the wing pump is lost to  leading edge flex.  At higher PSI you get out what you put in and it leads to significantly quicker low wind take offs.

So Admin., what pressure do you pump yours to?

9-10.  At 6 PSI (on my pump's guage) if I push my thumb hard into the leading edge I get about .5 cm of give.  At 9-10 it is about 1 mm of give.  We are down in Mexico and I had the 6 pumped like this yesterday (warm day bright sun).  It remained the same with just a tiny bit of give.  You would need to be comfortable going firmer than the MFG suggests but at 6 PSI you are leaving a LOT of goodness behind.

Thanks Admin.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #333 on: March 03, 2020, 10:09:47 AM »
Thanks Admin and Dwight, this is all good to know.

I am now sure I have used it with too little pressure as I have heard that air sneak into the center strut before and never tried to pump it after that. Now that I tried, I see it does loose pressure after that. Admin, I will do what you suggest before taking the pump off from now on.

Admin, I am kind of shocked you are pumping 9 to 10 psi if I am reading that right. That is a lot higher than the recommended 6 psi.

You mentioned "you are leaving a lot of goodness behind" by pumping to the recommended 6 psi. Can you elaborate on that goodness? Are you feeling the wing has better control, more power, or both? Can you go in lighter winds this way?

I have no experienced over inflating like that. Are there any risks going that high?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #334 on: March 03, 2020, 10:34:50 AM »

Admin, I am kind of shocked you are pumping 9 to 10 psi if I am reading that right. That is a lot higher than the recommended 6 psi.

You can’t really trust the gages on hand pumps. Pegged on the gage is often 2-3 psi less than we see using electric pumps with auto shutoff at set pressure.

It’s still a black art.

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #335 on: March 03, 2020, 10:44:43 AM »
Good to know Dwight. I was wondering about this too because on my pump the harder I push down the higher the psi goes. So if I push hard I can get to 6 psi fast, but if I do a normal pressure I have to put more air in to get to 6 psi so I figured the gauge is not very accurate.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: March 03, 2020, 12:45:03 PM »
Thanks Admin and Dwight, this is all good to know.

I am now sure I have used it with too little pressure as I have heard that air sneak into the center strut before and never tried to pump it after that. Now that I tried, I see it does loose pressure after that. Admin, I will do what you suggest before taking the pump off from now on.

You mentioned "you are leaving a lot of goodness behind" by pumping to the recommended 6 psi. Can you elaborate on that goodness? Are you feeling the wing has better control, more power, or both? Can you go in lighter winds this way?

I have no experienced over inflating like that. Are there any risks going that high?

Hi Sup,

Yes, the wings will fly you in much lighter wind with the same amount of rider effort when the are fully inflated.  A softly inflated wing flexes a lot.  Watch your wing tips.  They feel super spongy/flexy at 6.  You give up a lot of your effort to that flex.  It doent transfer to lift.  At 9-10 the wing is very rigid.  When you pull you get close to 100% of that pull back in transfer to the board and foil. 

As for the gauges, yes, I am sure they are inaccurate.  The thumb test I mentioned above will be a good confirmation test for you.  On the other hand the 2.8 Swing has a suggested inflation of 10 PSI (the suggestion is different for the different sizes).  My pump reads 10 PSI when the 2.8 is very firm and it reads 10 when the 6.0 is very firm.  Here are F-One's suggestions:

2.2 m2 10 psi
2.8 m2 10 psi
3.5 m2 08 psi
4.2 m2 07 psi
5.0 m2 06 psi
6.0 m2 06 psi
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 12:52:25 PM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 03, 2020, 03:41:54 PM »
I do:
3.5M  10psi
4.2M  9psi
5M   8psi
6M   8psi

I always lift the strut at about 5 PSI to get the pressure equalized through the tube. Once the strut is firm the tube doesn't kink and pressure will be equal. I tested the gauge on my pump against an accurate 8" guage. It's close.

If the wind is fairly strong I don't mind a little bit of tacoing, but when it's on the light side for the wing I'm using I add a pound.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #338 on: March 05, 2020, 12:05:59 AM »
We had an epic day yesterday.  We woke up to 8-10 side shore and and it did a super gradual build to 17-25 over the next 10 hours.  Really high quality wind as well.  I did 6 sessions.  Hah!  I used the 6.0 in the morning and I like it a lot but for me there is an awful lot of overlap with the 5.0.  Probably too much.  Boy is that 5.0 an incredible wing for me.  4 lbs, Huge range, compact for its power and soooo freaking smooth. 

I wansn't really sure that I needed the 6.0 at all and I am still really not sure that I do.  I think that I caught a little bit of big wing envy from the heavier guys on the forum and wanted to join the party :).  I am pretty convinced that the 5.0 with different underwater foils can be a do it all light wind wing at my weight.  It covers super light to normal wind incredibly well. 

...and holy crap, paired with the Axis 1010, 460 tail.  Damn!  But that is another post.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: March 05, 2020, 12:34:50 AM »
Agree Admin, 5m Swing is very special. I think the range is wider than fone prescribes. I took it out even in 35mph once and it was manageable but a little scary  ;D those speeds still get me.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #340 on: March 05, 2020, 04:56:40 AM »
Admin, your wind is a lot stronger which probably makes the 6 optional.

At our location, the 6 is required many days. It makes a huge difference for all weight riders.

If the wind is really light, it is the difference between foiling or not foiling.

If there is more wind, it is the difference between getting up easily on the foil, or having to do a lot of pumping with the 5.

The 6 makes the air jibes easier because the more power you have in the wing the easier the air jibe is.

The 6 goes in 2 to 3 mph less wind than the 5, and the same goes for the top end where it gets uncomfortable, but the range is also huge.

At our location the 5 is optional but the 6 is not. We have one regular rider who has a 4 and 6, but no 5 needed. The 6 has such a wide range that by the time it is too much wind for the 6, you can use your 4. I prefer having the 4.2, 5, and 6.

The 6 was a breakthrough for us and opened up a lot more days on the water and a lot less pumping too.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 04:58:35 AM by supkailua »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 05, 2020, 11:37:14 AM »
I'm using the 6 ten times more than I expected to. For me, the 4.2 is the optional wing. 6 for wimpy wind with lulls and gusts, 5 for everything up to insane wind, 3.5 for nutso.

I do my fine adjustment with foils instead of wings. 1010/short/440 when the wind is at the upper end of the range, 1020/standard/500 for lighter.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 05, 2020, 04:50:04 PM »
Been staring at my brand new 5m for just over a month now. Will get it out on the water next week over March break - can’t wait!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 05, 2020, 10:48:42 PM »
I had an incredible session with my 6M today at Kanaha. I only had an hour or so. we're doing a big remodeling project at Ponohouse. But I needed to get wet so I took a detour from going to Lowe's and hit it. So cool. I'm testing double front footstraps in the style of Robbie and Admin, and I like them. I haven't mounted the rear yet--I ran out of NSI stickons. But I seem to have pretty much nailed the front position first try. they might be back a hair too far, but I can tweak the track easier than the straps, so I'll try a half-inch. but I was getting up easily, ripping upwind, not so great downwind and jibing was hopeless, but I'll get there. Probably 99 percent of the session was up and flying, ghosting along in light air--probably gusting to 15 on the inside, a little more outside the reef. Hated to leave, but I got a lot done today. This remodel is going to be awesome.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal