Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452961 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #315 on: February 16, 2020, 08:11:52 AM »
I finally had the opportunity to take out my 6M Swing for its maiden voyage. Rode on Lake Washington near Seattle in 7 - 18mph winds for 2 hours and 45 minutes. When I first arrived to the water the wind was so light (looked like 6-8mph) that I knew I wasn't going to be able to pop-up on the foil, but since I was already there and suited up I figured I would go out anyway and glide around not on the foil. To my surprise 2 pumps of the wing and board and I popped right up on the foil and was flying - wow this thing is a light wind monster! I rode without a harness the entire session - this wing is way less tiresome to use compared to other wings I've tried. The wing flew great and was very manageable to flip around after crashes, which I had a lot of as I'm trying to learn carving jibes - almost there! I also switched stances while flying for the first time, really fun learning new things on the wind wing. The only negative is you do have to be mindful of the wing tips hitting and dragging on the water, it's a tall wing.

I'm honestly amazed that this is such a light wind sport. 6 months ago when I was seeing wind wings online for the first time I figured you would need 20 ++ sustained winds, but this 6M combined with my massive Gong XXL Pro wing will have me flying on light northerlies on the local lake all summer long.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #316 on: February 16, 2020, 08:37:01 AM »
Great report Rastaman, thanks. I might add one for my Florida almost no wind days.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 16, 2020, 09:22:09 AM »
The 6M seems to be a great weather control device. Ever since I bought mine the wind has either been completely absent or roaring. Right now the windows at Ponohouse are rattling and Uaoa bay is whitecaps and spindrift.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: February 16, 2020, 09:37:09 AM »
That is great news Rasta,

I thought we had hit the low limit last year but now with a 6 for me and a 5 for Chan...It sounds like there will be no off days :).

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #319 on: February 23, 2020, 07:36:48 AM »
A little Sunday Stoker:

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 01, 2020, 11:04:32 PM »
I am still deciding what to buy for my first Wing and have been looking at a number of videos of the FOne.

Can anyone tell me if my iSUP pump will work to inflate the FOne? It's really hard to tell from the various videos. I have the Titan pump from Red Paddle Company.

Thanks.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 01, 2020, 11:13:15 PM »
Probably. The wing takes a special fitting which isn't common, but it comes with an adapter that connects it to most pumps.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #322 on: March 02, 2020, 01:04:12 AM »
The adapter though wouldn’t feet my Duotone pump, I had to change the hose to fit the fone adapter on to my pump.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 02, 2020, 11:13:54 AM »
Thanks Pono and Gzasinets. Much appreciated.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #324 on: March 02, 2020, 04:41:42 PM »
Today I pumped up my Swing 5 to 6 psi. About 2 minutes after I pumped it up I heard some more air going into the center strut. I have heard this sound before, but never a couple minutes after pumping it up. So I decided to check the pressure with the pump and sure enough it went down and required some pumping to bring it back up to 6 psi.

I am not sure why this happened. You would think at 6 psi and looking fully pumped up all the air would be in the center strut already and that hose would not be pinched at this point.

Anyway, just something to be aware of because if it happened while I was not near the wing I would have never known and I would have been flying at around 4 to 5 psi. I have never tried it like that so maybe I would have known something was wrong right away.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 02, 2020, 05:17:29 PM »
With many brands now releasing their V2 wind wings (Naish, DuoTone, etc.), does anyone have any information on the F-One Swing V2? It seems that the wings they're currently selling are the "2020" and are essentially unchanged from 2019 except for the deflate valve on the 6M. And I noticed a few new colors as well.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #326 on: March 02, 2020, 05:39:24 PM »
Today I pumped up my Swing 5 to 6 psi. About 2 minutes after I pumped it up I heard some more air going into the center strut. I have heard this sound before, but never a couple minutes after pumping it up. So I decided to check the pressure with the pump and sure enough it went down and required some pumping to bring it back up to 6 psi.

I am not sure why this happened. You would think at 6 psi and looking fully pumped up all the air would be in the center strut already and that hose would not be pinched at this point.

Anyway, just something to be aware of because if it happened while I was not near the wing I would have never known and I would have been flying at around 4 to 5 psi. I have never tried it like that so maybe I would have known something was wrong right away.

It’s the kinked inflation hose on the strut doing that. Happens a lot. Lift the strut to get better air flow into it. Then top off the pressure.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #327 on: March 03, 2020, 04:03:21 AM »

This happens to me a lot.  The air doesn't flow to the strut at all initially and then it goes in one big Pfffeww.  The strut is sewn to come off of the leading edge at a pretty significant angle.  That is part of what tensions the wing and allows it to maintain its foil shape even without wind.  I am still surprised by how beautiful this design actually is. That part works amazingly well.   The downside is that the air doesn't always immediately flow to the Strut. 

What I started doing is once I have some pressure (full but soft leading edge) I manually lift the strut into its full boner (sorry) position.  I straighten the noodle (sorry) as well.  That allows the air to flow in.

PS: 6 PSI feels super soft and response laggy to me.  I know that it is suggested for the 5 and 6 but I notice a big difference with higher pressure.  In light wind I feel like I lose a meter (at least) on these wings at 6 PSI.  Way too much of the wing pump is lost to  leading edge flex.  At higher PSI you get out what you put in and it leads to significantly quicker low wind take offs.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:16:57 AM by Admin »

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: March 03, 2020, 05:08:12 AM »
Inflation pressure is one thing that I'm learning is really quite critical. Went out yesterday in gusty 20-25 knots and immediately felt like I was fighting the wing (Gong not Swing) . The subtle softness from under inflation means the centre of effort /power moves all over the place making it hard to control. Went back in, put maybe 5 more pumps in and was much better after
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 05:10:38 AM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 03, 2020, 07:42:06 AM »
PS: 6 PSI feels supers super soft and response laggy to me.  I know that it is suggested for the 5 and 6 but I notice a big difference with higher pressure.  In light wind I feel like I lose a meter (at least) on these wings at 6 PSI.  Way too much of the wing pump is lost to  leading edge flex.  At higher PSI you get out what you put in and it leads to significantly quicker low wind take offs.

So Admin., what pressure do you pump yours to?
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal