Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452981 times)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #300 on: February 01, 2020, 02:40:45 PM »
Thanks guys! I think I am leaning towards 5m initially and see how it goes.

Bill, I think 6 will be too much or at this point I don’t feel like having this big wing. Looking for something that will cover me for my crappy inconsistent conditions but 6 is scary in the messy waves we have here on the gulf when it is 20mph.
Dwight, I think it is the option that I will most likely go with, I had 5m duotone and it was fine. If people say that swing has more power for the same size then I will be ok on the lower end days..
Admin, that’s the plan - 5 then maybe 3.5 or 4.2 or maybe even all three. But for now marriage is important  ;D
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #301 on: February 02, 2020, 01:15:01 AM »
Admin, that’s the plan - 5 then maybe 3.5 or 4.2 or maybe even all three. But for now marriage is important  ;D

That is a smart plan :)

The big surprise about winging is the very light days.  The 5 will open those up for you.  That basically means that at 170 lbs you can wing almost every free day.  On a 4.2, you are going to miss a bunch of those days.  You can definitely use the 5 in 25 and above, so you wont miss your windier days if that is your only wing.  It really is way more fun to have the right size though. 

We are all building these setups now and finding out what works so it is initially a lot of gear and expense.  It seems a bit like windsurfing like that to be nicely set up.  3 or 4 wings, couple of boards and with the addition of 2 or 3 foil wings and some little bits.   It seems like a lot but in reality the whole kit is similar to a downwind SUP quiver, a bike habit, OC, surfski, or similar. 

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: February 02, 2020, 10:22:15 AM »
Yes, totally agree Admin! I don’t want to miss out on lighter days since I am in Fl and we have plenty of those. Thanks for chiming in gentlemen!

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #303 on: February 02, 2020, 11:11:24 AM »
I am 160 lbs.

Gusting 17 mph or lower I would take the Swing 6.

Gusting 18 mph to 20 mph the Swing 5.

Gusting over 20 mph and staying over 20 mph the Swing 4.2

I have not really tested the Swing 6 upper limit as I only use it on light days and so far it seems to handle 17 mph to 18 mph gusts with no problem.

The Swing 4.2 gets difficult to handle in 30 mph gusts, but covers gusts from 20 mph to 25 mph perfectly for me.

For anyone in light wind locations, I think the 6 is a must have size to maximize your fun and number of days on the water.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #304 on: February 06, 2020, 04:38:28 AM »
Hey Fone...add this to my wish list for 2021. Full valve on strut and leading edge.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B8NeLKmnoQk/?igshid=8a2kx61qzp6i

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 06, 2020, 10:04:48 AM »
The little beach ball valve on the 6M is a welcome addition and it fairly effective if I wait a few minutes for the wing to fully deflate. I'm not sure that a full valve on the strut would work better--why do you feel it's necessary?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #306 on: February 06, 2020, 03:00:40 PM »
The little beach ball valve on the 6M is a welcome addition and it fairly effective if I wait a few minutes for the wing to fully deflate. I'm not sure that a full valve on the strut would work better--why do you feel it's necessary?

Safety. No stupid hose to blow off. They do blow off kites.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 07, 2020, 03:12:04 AM »
Hey Fone...add this to my wish list for 2021. Full valve on strut and leading edge.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B8NeLKmnoQk/?igshid=8a2kx61qzp6i

If you watch that video Greg does this really cool 360 where instead of sailing backwinded half way through (sort of the norm), he just keeps the wing overhead and luffed with both hands on the front handle until he gets around far enough around to release and regrab a rear handle with one hand. Sort of like doing a jibe and toe-to-heelside tack all in one fluid motion. I have to try this............ with the required 50 splats along the way! ;)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #308 on: February 07, 2020, 03:19:41 AM »
That does look really nice.  The windsurfing style backwinded 360 is always cool but this one is kind of a blend between kiting and windsurfing.  No way to do the overhead one on a sailboard :).  Carving 360's (the one he does at the end) are such a beautiful move, particularly with a long backwinded section...especially on waves. 

https://vimeo.com/389629572?fbclid=IwAR3C_xLTn6fiE1cwn9XUCrvWTAR71vNHvFzXwjI1p4AnYem3adOxhFmO1z8
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 03:22:03 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2020, 07:55:20 AM »

Safety. No stupid hose to blow off. They do blow off kites.

Oh, I see, you would blow up the strut separately. The hose doesn't work all that well--crimps easily. I can see why it would be a PITA to blow up three struts separately, but one would be no big deal.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 11, 2020, 08:59:42 AM »
I had a chance to try the F-One Swing for the first time last week. We were vacationing in South Florida and happened upon Crandon Beach on Key Biscayne near Miami. F-One was having a demo day for kiting and they brought a 4, 5, & 6M Swing along. I got to try the 5M with a 7'6 Rocket SUP and a 2,200 foil. Wind was pretty light - my guess is it wasn't gusting much over 13mph when I was riding, with lulls well below 10.

Loved the Swing - it felt so light and easy on the arms when flying. It seemed to fly really nice with no weird behavior in the air. Yes, the handles are a little floppy but not bad and doesn't hinder the fun. Unfortunately my session only lasted about 20 minutes, I wiped out and when I came to the surface I felt something weird on me - sure enough I was wrapped up in a Portuguese Man-O-War. Scared the crap out of me. Tentacles on my face and on my lips, all the way down my arms. But it didn't sting me! It must've been dead and lost all of its venom or something. Needless to say I came right in and didn't go back out. Although I was really tempted to try the new Rocket Wing 5'10 board they had there. Side note, there are A LOT of those Portuguese Man-O-Wars on the shores of Miami and Fort Lauderdale right now. We would see literally hundreds of them washed up when walking on the beach. Is that normal for that area? Makes me happy to have a lake to wing foil on at home.

I actually bought a 6M Swing a few weeks ago never having ridden one and still haven't had a chance to ride it, you guys talked me into how great this wing is. I'm excited to try the 6M on light wind days here in Seattle.

Side note, I really like the color of the one that I rode (pictured). My 6M is orange and blue, I don't like that color as much. Hope they come out with some new or additional colors for the new model year. 

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #311 on: February 11, 2020, 09:43:09 AM »
Nice photo....looks like a fun day at Crandon

The Man-o-war show up after days of southerly and easterly winds in Florida. which we have had for a while.  We have a lot in Vero Beach. 
Thank goodness you didn't get stung on your face, that would have felt and looked awful. I have been stung around my arm before and it looked like I had been struck with a whip.  Some Benedryl and vinegar on the sting and I was fine.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #312 on: February 11, 2020, 12:28:39 PM »
Just had a quick lunch break session on my 5M.  Pretty funny as my access point is in a park, where they are redoing the drainage.  It is basically a giant construction site.  I had to get the go ahead from the super before jumping the fence and going under the giant crane which was slowly making its way down the beach.

The reason for the post was the conditions.  We have had storms (w/out thunder or lightning) coming through all day and the wind was all over the place.  When I left my house it was 12-18 mph onshore.  When I got to the beach it was 13-27 mph.  The 5M and 2400 Armstrong wing took it all in stride and I was able to catch a few bumps before a giant squall came in and had to make a dash past the crane's dangling hook, which got uncomfortably close to the wing.  (I think the operator was getting a laugh out of it as I hopped the fence and deflated the wing in sideways rain).  ;D
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 11, 2020, 10:25:57 PM »
Side note, I really like the color of the one that I rode (pictured). My 6M is orange and blue, I don't like that color as much. Hope they come out with some new or additional colors for the new model year.

My 6M is the same color as the one in the picture--black and yellow. I didn't think I'd like the colors, but it's really great looking.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #314 on: February 12, 2020, 07:49:46 AM »
Love my navy blue/orange color. Also so light and stable and matches my gofoil colors  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal