Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452966 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2020, 04:00:45 AM »

That school teaches with the Maliko 200. The biggest, fattest, slowest, instant lift foil

If you switch to Axis...the 1020 is your easiest path to learning to fly.

Dwight if Maliko 200 is easy foil to ride, you still like Axis 1020 better?  Also if front wing is 1020 what size would you choose for rear wing?  Appreciate the suggestions
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2020, 08:23:45 AM »

.....I have a 6’11” Jimmy Lewis Flying V and a Neil Pryde Glide Surf large foil .

Board is too big and foil too small to make it easy.

When I learned behind the jet ski I was riding a JL Flying V and Go Foil (not sure what model).  It. Seemed effortless to get up and ride the foil.

That school teaches with the Maliko 200. The biggest, fattest, slowest, instant lift foil ever made.

You need the Neil Pryde XL to have a fighting chance. Unfortunately the NP company has been sold. US distribution has been sold. So the XL wings promised to the US market in September never came. That’s why I, and all my friends, switched to Axis. I suspect the recent dumping of NP foils at $699, was due to the change in ownership/distribution. Australia is having a better time at getting them.

If you switch to Axis...the 1020 is your easiest path to learning to fly.

Here is the deal with winging that trips up lots of newbies to the sport. Even guys with prior foiling experience, but not the best naturally skilled.

Foiling is super efficient. Once airborne, you power up very quickly. To the point of having almost too much power and speed for limited skills. So, for people like this, you ideally want to pop onto foil without needing lots of power from the wing ding. But this takes pumping skill and technique. Not easy to learn.  So the less experienced/skilled need enough wing ding power to just stand on the board like a lump of coal, and let the wind power bring you up to foiling speed. Then you go airborne and freak over the speed boost from the loss of drag. This is why the HUGE foils really help when learning. They help lift the lump of coal.  ;D ;D...yet don’t go so fast you freak out. Once you get dialed to this sport, you will want to go fast and you will pump onto foil in a gnat fart.

Correction. Neil Pryde reached out to me.  Not sold. Just had supplier issues. Back to normal. XL and Slim wings coming soon.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2020, 09:01:40 AM »
Caribsurf, admin learned on both those wings. He should answer.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #288 on: January 29, 2020, 04:45:04 AM »
Caribsurf, admin learned on both those wings. He should answer.

We started on the GoFoils and while we learned a lot on them in regards to board maneuvering, setup, starts, etc., they never felt quite right.  They seemed to drag in low wind and jerk up in strong wind.  It is is possible that they are awesome for surf or SUP (we have no experience with either) but for the wing it was a very inconsistent feeling for us as brand new foilers.    A friend who had had a similar experience suggested that we check out the Axis foils.  I picked up the 1020 and 500 with a standard fuselage to start with.  The difference was immediate.  It just felt correct.  Much less drag when surface bound and a smooth and easy lift off.  It was exactly what I had pictured foiling to be like. 

I figured out the pump motion in the air not on the surface.  It is the same motion that will get you airborne but it is much easier to practice when you are flying.  That is why a really user friendly foil is so important.  It will get you flying, then you can work out the pumping motion, then you use a variation of that same motion to take off more easily and in lighter wind.

The 920 and 1020 are both super easy and user friendly foils.  I am a bit evangelical about those but only because they turned on foiling for us.  This is the most gear specific sport I have ever tried. 

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: January 29, 2020, 09:49:17 AM »
Admin many thanks for the thorough information and recommendation. I’m probably at the same stage you were when you were riding the go foil, so maybe I should invest in an Axis. Quite a few zoners seem to rave about it, and I should’ve done more research before I bought the neil pride. The new price price was too good to be true and maybe there’s a reason for that. But I imagine once I learn and am better at foiling I could come back to the Neil pride and probably ride it once I know what I’m doing
Appreciate all the info from everyone.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: January 29, 2020, 10:08:04 AM »
Admin many thanks for the thorough information and recommendation. I’m probably at the same stage you were when you were riding the go foil, so maybe I should invest in an Axis. Quite a few zoners seem to rave about it, and I should’ve done more research before I bought the neil pride. The new price price was too good to be true and maybe there’s a reason for that. But I imagine once I learn and am better at foiling I could come back to the Neil pride and probably ride it once I know what I’m doing

For sure, Carib.  I have no info on the NP foils but once you have the basics I bet that most foils will be workable within their range.  The motions required to make it happen are not complicated, taxing or very "athletic" and I think that getting them down is well within the range of anyone who can master SUP, for instance.  Getting those motions in your head, however, takes time, patience and gear experimentation.  It all feels unfamiliar at first but that slowly peels away.

The process is incredibly fun.  We have never had a better time learning any sport. I can't wait for the water to crack 40 :)

Sweetlife

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 29, 2020, 04:50:56 PM »
Caribsurf,  The NP Glide L is fine for learning.  Try to get out in flat water rather than large swell, waves and big chop.  Ideally winds around 20-25kts will make it easy to pop on the foil (assuming your using a 4.2M).   The NP Glide with the Large wing and large tail wing is a very smooth feeling foil with a lot of side to side stability.  As you get more foiling time under your belt, you will find your low end wind range increases with this same setup.  I do think that if the NP XL wing was available now it would most likely be even easier to learn but having the L front wing is fine.  It just means going out in slightly stronger winds. 

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2020, 10:38:12 PM »
I have Gofoil IWA/M200?/M280  and Axis S820 S920 S1020 S900 and S1000 and gave my NP large and medium to my daughter
If NP would have come out with the XL and Medium Slim a bit quicker I would still be on NP.

They are just as good as the Axis foils but not enough choice of wings and very good value.

A good winger can get the NP large / F-One 5.0 flying in 12 knots.

The NP XL/ F-One 6.o probably in 8 or 9 knots depending on weight and ability.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: January 30, 2020, 03:00:14 AM »
As a reminder, it is important to us that users who have brand associations make note of that in their profile.  That helps us keep everything obvious for our readers.  Thanks!

Adolfo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 30, 2020, 03:23:57 AM »
One quick note on the NP.
Be sure to use de big tail wing for wing foiling.
Most times I use the small tail wing for sup surfing, and the big one for winging.
If you use the small one for winging, you will need much more wind to take off and the board will feel unstable.
If you use the big one for surfing, you will lose the agility that you need to turn on the wave.
Starboard 12'2 x 26
Naish Javelin 14 x 26
Naish Nalu 9'6 x 28
Starboard Hypernut 7'4 x 30 + foil
Starboard All Star 12'6 x 26

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 30, 2020, 01:48:09 PM »
Got my 5m F-one today! Gears coming together 😀

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #296 on: February 01, 2020, 09:18:14 AM »
So, Swing owners - What size would you go for 12-25mph conditions 5 or 4.2? More interested to get into the waves and dw aspect of it.
Where does 5m become too much for you? I am 170lbs. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 09:20:24 AM by gzasinets »
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 01, 2020, 09:51:15 AM »
6 meter, but I'm 230#. All the same, the 6M is great in light wind. It's a little clumsy and I have to be careful not to dip a wingtip and flip it, but I can get up and foiling in light wind, and it behaves nicely when I'm in a wave, following the front handle nice and flat. I can ignore it until I'm done with the wave, pull it up and forward, grab my fake boom and sail out for another wave--assuming I don't fuck up the jibe, which is a big assumption.

Downwind I tend to pick the smallest wing I think will get me up off the water, usually, that's the 4.2, though last time it was the 3.something. If there are bumps to catch and I have too much wing I'm likely to over foil. I think that's because I suck, and I wasn't finding the best place or angle to go over the bump. Kathy Shipman told me she almost never goes straight over the top of a big bump, she either angles across it or finds a low spot to get over. Now she tells me. I was running over them without doing anything smart, and whenever I dropped over a big one I was up on tiptoes, praying that I wasn't going to get hit by the foil when I faceplanted. But a smaller wing helps a lot even when I don't know WTF I'm doing. Smaller, sleeker, glide-ier foil helps too.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:01:20 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #298 on: February 01, 2020, 10:22:59 AM »
So, Swing owners - What size would you go for 12-25mph conditions 5 or 4.2? More interested to get into the waves and dw aspect of it.

5m.

On reaches, the range is more like 12-21. But down wind, it can handle stronger gusts because you’re running with the wind, and not making apparent wind.

It’s no issue with too much power. Just hold it over you head, or by the nose handle. Don’t let the wing dictate your speed and make you over foil. It’s no issue to control the foils lift and just surf it. You are in control, don’t let the Swing control you.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: February 01, 2020, 01:12:26 PM »

Higza,

Does a 5 and a 3.5 blow the budget?  That is a pretty big range for one wing.  I am your size and the 3.5 is way more fun in 18-25 but the 5.0 will get you out on the light side.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal