Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452988 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #255 on: January 16, 2020, 09:27:33 AM »
Has any of you tried the 2.2 ?

Its very windy for the foreseeable future in Cape Town, gusts up to 44 knots right now...

I have never seen the 2.2 but Chan wants to get one when the distributor has them in stock (not on their site yet). I know that she will get a lot of use out of it...which will free the 2.8 up :).

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 19, 2020, 03:36:55 AM »
Has any of you tried the 2.2 ?

Its very windy for the foreseeable future in Cape Town, gusts up to 44 knots right now...

Cameron is supposed to get stock of the 2.2m in Cape Town next week - certainly would have been the ticket last few days - 4 days of ave. 40kn hitting 50+ in gusts.....

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2020, 01:17:27 AM »
Good to know that they are our there in the wild :).

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #258 on: January 24, 2020, 11:52:03 AM »
Riding the 4.2 down here in the Grenadines for a couple weeks and enjoying the F-One more each session. Initially I preferred the Duotone and the familiarity of the boom, but I think what people have said is right about the F-One and the power and now getting very used to the straps.
  I still have yet to get up and riding the NP foil on my Jimmy Lewis Flying V but getting close.  The wind has been crazy strong with big swells and I am in a channel so it’s spooky place to learn. I learned to windsurf here so I’ll probably figure it out or die trying.
I did have a couple good sessions on my 10’ SUP and that’s how I really got dialed in with the wing.   I am wondering if I could use my windsurfer with the F-One and potentially get in the footstraps and planing...anyone been able to do this?
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: January 24, 2020, 12:40:46 PM »
Caribsurf, are you placing your foil to the rear of the tracks?  That helped me quite a bit by allowing the board to pivot off the tail a bit more and release.  I had run it in the middle to try and create more lift, but it wasn't really helping after all. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2020, 05:19:41 AM »
Hey VB yes the foil is as far back on the track as it can go.  I think the combination of the big chop, big winds and learning to use the F-One Swing didn’t really allow me to even consider trying to get up on the foil.  Hopefully a more manageable day will come and I can focus mostly on getting on the foil.  It seemed so easy behind a jet ski, but so much more challenging than I figured.  I am also going to go to a deep point break and try surfing the foil there which should teach me a lot
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: January 25, 2020, 06:47:22 AM »
Hi Carib,

It sounds like you are doing great.  What foil setup and board size are you on?  We struggled a lot with positioning the foil as well.  Because you have no reference to draw on it takes a while.  It did for us.  There are big differences in where the tracks are on different boards and also where the front wing will be positioned is different on different foil setups so blanket sliding the mount forward or back is possibly too general.  Wing size is going to matter as well.  If you are not feeling any (or enough) lift you may want to adjust the wing forward or your stance back and if it is hard keeping it down, foil back or stance forward may be better.  Can you check how your front wing is aligned under your stance?  For instance, is it centered between your feet or way forward or back? 

You are right that flatter water will help a lot.  Mellow conditions make it much easier.  Although, I know you are not going to wait for those days :).

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 25, 2020, 06:52:18 AM »
now im getting wary
you are thrice the WS'er i ever was, carib---ive seen video!
and seems those skills help with wing foiling (or whatever it's called)

ima get lessons a couple times and see what gives---try to avoid loading up on gear i soon need to blow out

least of my worries as i deal with day two post-hernia surgery--ouch

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: January 25, 2020, 02:08:57 PM »
6m owners, what is the low end compared to the 5M? Worth shelling out the dough for those super light wind sessions?
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2020, 02:53:38 PM »
2 mph earlier than the 5m goes, whatever that is for you.

It’s nice to have, on a day when you know the sea breeze is not going to build like usual. So I rig the 6m knowing I’ll have a great day.

At first I didn’t use it much, but then I had some great days on it. Now I’d hate to be without it.

Anyone else having random slow loading of the zone?

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: January 25, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »
Depending where you're at (I'm in South Florida), I find the 6 and 4.2 are my main two used wings. Went out on the 5 the other day and felt like I should of went on the 6 for easier pop onto foil. The handling of the 5 and 6 seems about the same to me. Reason for the 6 and 4.2 for me is that it's either light winds and I need all the low end I can get or it's blasting over 15 knots and the 4.2 is perfect

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 25, 2020, 05:06:27 PM »
Depending where you're at (I'm in South Florida), I find the 6 and 4.2 are my main two used wings. Went out on the 5 the other day and felt like I should of went on the 6 for easier pop onto foil. The handling of the 5 and 6 seems about the same to me. Reason for the 6 and 4.2 for me is that it's either light winds and I need all the low end I can get or it's blasting over 15 knots and the 4.2 is perfect

FL, beginning to think the same way about my 5 and 4m Duotones. Too close to each other.

Pumping up in light conditions with the 5m Duotone seems to be my biggest weakness, among several others. It’s even worse on my “weak stance” side (78 kg, 1900 sq cm Gong pro XL). Even when I get up, I’m usually right  back off after jibes /tacks. Gotta work on pumping skills!

Reluctant to add a 7m. It just doesn’t appeal to me to have to swing that much wing around.  Looking at the 6m size of the F1, Ozone Wasp and the Gong Pulse (due out in a few weeks). The F1 and Ozone both look great, but sort of leaning towards the Pulse with a $620 delivered price tag, and the fact that it’s (already) the third generation wing from Gong. Of course Murphy’s Law says as soon as I get it Mr Winner will announce the V2 Duotone, but I figure it’s time to get used to soft handles either way. Also have a slippery new light weight 2100 sq cm foil showing up Monday to help on the low end. ......Getting very rusty with the cold weather and family obligations

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 25, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »
I picked up a 6M Fone a few days ago and got a chance to use it today in light (15mph) flukey wind in the Harbor. I mostly rigged up because I wanted to try the 101 Axis, but with the wind so light I couldn't get it up. I switched to my 1020 and had some fun. I used the recommended 6 pound of pressure, which is probably a mistake. The wing felt "fluffy" and it was a challenge keeping the wingtips out of the water. That aside, I liked the feel a lot, super stable, kind of ghosty power. I got up when I didn't think I would (in a lull, going switchfoot) and couldn't when I should have (regular foot, in a gust). It seems like there's a bit to learn with this wing. Next time I'll try a little more pressure, but the wind is supposed to be up a bit over the next few days, so I'll probably be on smaller stuff.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: January 25, 2020, 06:07:01 PM »
Hi Carib,

It sounds like you are doing great.  What foil setup and board size are you on?  We struggled a lot with positioning the foil as well.  Because you have no reference to draw on it takes a while.  It did for us.  There are big differences in where the tracks are on different boards and also where the front wing will be positioned is different on different foil setups so blanket sliding the mount forward or back is possibly too general.  Wing size is going to matter as well.  If you are not feeling any (or enough) lift you may want to adjust the wing forward or your stance back and if it is hard keeping it down, foil back or stance forward may be better.  Can you check how your front wing is aligned under your stance?  For instance, is it centered between your feet or way forward or back? 

You are right that flatter water will help a lot.  Mellow conditions make it much easier.  Although, I know you are not going to wait for those days :).

Hey Admin, I have a 6’11” Jimmy Lewis Flying V and a Neil Pryde Glide Surf large foil .  To be honest I am not sure where I have been putting my feet in reference to where the foil is as most of the time I am watching the wing and looking out for the random fishing boat or rogue swell.  I will try and get a reference next time. When I learned behind the jet ski I was riding a JL Flying V and Go Foil (not sure what model).  It. Seemed effortless to get up and ride the foil.
 It’s such a difficult set up here from the rigging on a rocky beach to riding and a little intimidating especially when trade winds and swells are running.  I am sure I will improve in Florida when I get back and then feel a lot more comfortable here. 
I appreciate the advice. 
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: January 25, 2020, 06:15:58 PM »
now im getting wary
you are thrice the WS'er i ever was, carib---ive seen video!
and seems those skills help with wing foiling (or whatever it's called)

ima get lessons a couple times and see what gives---try to avoid loading up on gear i soon need to blow out

least of my worries as i deal with day two post-hernia surgery--ouch

Haha hope you liked the videos but those were a few years ago. . I know this is something I will be learn eventually and enjoy and same goes  for you..its such a new sport that there aren’t many schools teaching wing foiling but I am sure there will be and that would help a lot. 
Heal up soon from that hernia!
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal