Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452954 times)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #240 on: December 24, 2019, 01:16:25 PM »
Happy holidays everyone. We had off shore winds today in Miami. I went out on the 6 and the Axis 1020, it was more than doable and a ton of fun catching the waves. Little rollers so the wing wasn't hitting the wave but showed huge potential of the wing in bad kite conditions. One of the local sup foilers wasn't going to get into the wing and then saw me riding so now he has a 6 on order. He was having some fear of missing out and called a few places for a wing. One guy said "you're really asking a lot from me", I thought that was really funny. So if anyone is looking for a 6 or 5, liquid surf and sail has 5's left and Jupiter kite boarding might have both still.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: December 27, 2019, 10:02:23 AM »
Here is a shot of the 5 meter Swing laid  on top of the 6 meter.  Not perfect (I lined up the leading edge handles and flattened them as best I could) but it gives you an idea of where the extra area is going.  I do think that this is different than what I am seeing in other larger wings from other brands which seem like they are going lower aspect as size increases.  This looks higher aspect if anything.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:24:20 AM by Admin »

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 29, 2019, 11:06:28 AM »
I'm looking for a 6m in deep blue/orange.  Anyone have a line on a shop with one?
Thanks!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #243 on: January 01, 2020, 03:11:23 PM »
I was just reading the Gong forum and found a post where the owner said, I will never ride without a harness.

He also said he was using the same harness we do. Dakine Cameleon with panties removed. Funny French to English translation for seat attachment.  ;D For the same reason we use it. It’s the softest, least restrictive. He’s been racing in the harness too.

I’d bet the farm, wing harness are released next season by everyone.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 03:13:30 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #244 on: January 11, 2020, 12:10:15 PM »
Good example of the Swing wind range in the hands of experienced wingers and a newbie.

FYI it’s 80 degrees with 70 degree water so the Floridians are dressed like it’s 50. The newbie had a hood on.   ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqcL6PfB8_s
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 12:37:55 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: F-One Swing-Harness Line
« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2020, 05:40:12 AM »
The best harness for winging (in my opinion) is now half price. The seat part is attached with Velcro. Remove it and throw it away. This harness is super soft and doesn’t interfere with mobility like other harnesses.

https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp?prod=dakine2017_chameleon_size_color&cat=25

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2020, 10:27:09 AM »
I'm having some issues with my harness. I use a waist belt and the Fone lines, but once I'm in the harness the position of the wing is limited. If I get overpowered I can't raise the wing over my head and luff it, all I can do is sheet out and pray. Did you extend your lines or are you doing something different in the gusts.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2020, 10:38:16 AM »
I probably ride in less wind so it is not a problem as much but I can raise it up, not over my head, but enough so it gets less power, and then I pull down a bit on the front handle for even less power. I also normally head very much upwind and use all my body weight against it so I don't get over powered.

If it is blowing like crazy and I really should be on a smaller wing than I do not hook in as I would feel over powered.

I use the harness all the time when going upwind. The only issue I had is last time out one side somehow slipped over the knot and came undone.

Maybe I am the only one this happened to, but if anyone else had their harness line come undone while foiling please let me know if you found a solution.

I got very tired after that having to head up wind without the harness line.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »
Bill,

I don’t ride in the harness all the time. Use it when it makes sense.

It’s very effective for adding power. Locked in, ripping upwind.

I’m out of the harness when it’s out of control. Surfing, off the wind, etc. Just being able to take a rest and cruise whenever possible, is all the difference needed to save this old body.

I’m probably guilty of rigging down sooner than some, just because I like to use the harness. Rigging down also saves the canopy from flapping too much. I’m certain these canopies will degrade pretty quick compared to kites.

Does your setup allow you to get in and out of harness easy? I get out at every sign of too much wind, then get right back in after it passes. Automatic, no hassles.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:54:58 PM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2020, 07:33:29 PM »
It was 35 gusting to 47 when I got in the water at Kanaha today. Pretty crazy--Gorge conditions in Maui. I used my 3.5 Fone and Axis 960 and I was still over powered and over foiled. Still, crazy wind is the fat guys revenge. I had a blast. But my board kept trying to take my head off when I fell. I was using a waist harness. Changed to ankle and that stopped. I'm not sure why, might have just been dumb luck.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: January 14, 2020, 07:39:43 PM »
Gusting up to 30 mph in Kailua today. I found out that is really too much for the Swing 4.2. It gets really jumpy in that wind and the flapping is loud!

Luckily most of the time the gusting was around 25 mph and that was controllable and fun.

I think for me 25 mph is the top wind speed the 4.2 can handle. If I had something smaller I would have used it, but this type of wind is rare for Kailua.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2020, 02:50:34 AM »
The 3.5 is pretty surprising.  It has a lot of punch.  That wing and a big foil will keep you moving in wind that wouldn't seem possible.  I love the super light wind days on a 5.0 but the 3.5 is probably my favorite wing.  It is so compact that everything feels easier.  With the Axis 1020 and modest wind it is great for learning new stuff.  The wing stays light in your hands and that foil will keep you up without a lot of input. 

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 16, 2020, 08:33:42 AM »
Has any of you tried the 2.2 ?

Its very windy for the foreseeable future in Cape Town, gusts up to 44 knots right now...

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2020, 08:48:34 AM »
I'm finding that if I'm in an open area that the 3.5 has more than enough power to ride add if I'm intercostal or a spot that has wind shadows then the 4.2 is my choice since the wing tip can catch that higher cleaner wind. If I'm in total off shore winds then I'm on the 6 so it catches the winds coming over the structures near the beach. It'll launch me onto foil and then I'm riding very depowered. Maybe future design for off shore would be high aspect to grab the upper winds.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2020, 09:11:53 AM »
Has any of you tried the 2.2 ?

Its very windy for the foreseeable future in Cape Town, gusts up to 44 knots right now...

It's a pretty thing. I've held one in high wind, but not in the water, just looking it over. It seemed so tiny but in the 35+ wind it had some good pull without becoming hard to control. I was tempted, but I'm certain it would just sit in my truck. At 235 I'd need a lot of wind for that, and high wind is rare in Maui.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal