Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452970 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #225 on: December 18, 2019, 10:23:22 AM »
Interesting to see Nick switch his feet before he starts the jibe. I haven't tried that. As soon as I get back in the water I'm going to work on heelside winging. I want to start downwinding, and for the small direction change that requires heelside/toeside seems likely to work best.

I scraped my leg on the skankiest surface in Maui--the underside of the dock at the boat launch in Kahalui Habor, and got a bit of infection. It's muted down to a dull roar with antibiotics, but I'm out of the water for at least one more day.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #226 on: December 18, 2019, 04:02:47 PM »
Is everyone on the same brand board too?

Yes, mine.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #227 on: December 18, 2019, 05:09:19 PM »
That was a great day to test out the 6, DW's boards made the foil feel like I was actually surf foiling a small prone in the small wind swell. I found with the 6 above me, I could pump forever. The 6 is a very manageable wing, the pump of the rear hand was long, slow, and powerful. The smaller wings seem to be a quicker pump action which I feel is due to them catching less wind. The wing only flipped over once when I crashed and was a little bit of a struggle to flip back over, had to be more to a wing tip but still way easier than some smaller wings I've tested. Really good low end and like all the F1's unlimited high end. Was also very easy to change direction and move around. If you're in Florida conditions and want two wings. The 6 and then a 3.5 or 4.2 will work great or just the 5 as one all around. Just my opinion for my 160 lbs. I've been on the 6 one other time and about 6-8 mph (13 Chrono falling out) I was able to get on foil with a 1020 Axis. The deflate valve on the strut is also a nice touch with the recommended PSI on the wing as well.

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #228 on: December 19, 2019, 08:42:21 PM »
Had my first session on the Swing 6 and wow, it was worth the wait.

I was foiling in wind the 5 won't touch. Once the wind picked up a little to where the 5 might go with vigorous pumping, the 6 needed no pumping at all. Just position it and lift off.

The upwind ability with the harness line on the 6 is amazing. It is so stable you can ride for a bit with no hands. When not doing that only fingertip control is needed on the front handle.
The back hand is not needed at all. I felt like I was almost heading directly into a very light wind.

The stability makes it easy to bring to your side when riding a swell and then get it back in action when needed.

Not sure what the top wind speed will be on it. I now have the Swing 4.2, 5, and 6. Right now I would say gusting 17 mph or lower I will take the 6. If it is gusting over 17 mph I will probably use the 5. Gusting over 20 mph the 4.2 feels really good.

I weigh 160 lbs. and was on the super stable Slingshot Airstrike.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: December 20, 2019, 01:30:38 AM »
Great reviews guys!  What foil setup SupKailua?

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 20, 2019, 06:44:09 AM »
what is the lower REAL end of the 6M ?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #231 on: December 20, 2019, 07:16:33 AM »
what is the lower REAL end of the 6M ?

That is going to depend on your weight and your foil setup (for all air wings).

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 20, 2019, 07:20:31 AM »
Let’s say 57 kg with 2100 cm front wing?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: December 20, 2019, 08:41:10 AM »
What foil is this?  I can tell you that the 5 Meter Swing works well in 8-12 MPH for me at 170 lbs and with a big Axis 1020.  It takes a little more wind with all of our other front foil wings.  My wife at 115 lbs can use the same gear in less wind than that.  Wind that looks unusable.  I am hoping to get going in even less wind or stay flying longer when the wind drops below the threshold for the 5.  What is really cool sounding is being able to use the 6 with the faster, higher aspect wings in really light wind.  You are very light.  With an efficient foil you should be able to cruise in well under 10 MPH with the 6 meter.

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 20, 2019, 10:49:04 AM »
yes that's what i hope!
i friend of mine just borrow me the 5M and i can't wait to  try it and to check my self all the amazing things i've heard about this f-one wing!
i have the infinity 84 slingshot front wing btw.
thanks!

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: December 20, 2019, 11:09:40 AM »
I am using the Slingshot Infinity 84 with the larger back wing.

As far as how low it will go I think it depends on the location. When it comes to low wind I don't believe all locations are the same. Some have flat water, some have choppy water. Some locations have land formations that speed up the wind, so it might be lower or higher than the online readings.

I can only speak for my location which has choppy water and probably registers higher wind speeds than we actually have because as the wind rushes up the beach it speeds up and the wing gauge is located after the wind hits the beach. If I had to guess I would say the beach gives an extra 3 mph wind speed.

So at my location gusting at around 14 mph to 15 mph very large kites or kite foilers can still go and the Swing 6 is very comfortable.

At 13 mph gusts (not average) it gets difficult because during the lulls the kites can fall, so at 13 mph gusts the water is empty, and the Swing 6 seems to be able to still get going in the gusts. During the lulls I was literally holding the wing in the air going absolutely no where, then when a gust came I would pump, and most of the time once I was up I could stay up but would come down when turning around.

So if you take off the 3 mph for the beach effect I believe the 6 is going in under 10 mph average wind speeds. If you look at their guide https://www.f-one.world/product/swing/#specifications it says the 6 starts in 8 knots, which is slightly over 9 mph average, and I believe that is what I had for part of my session yesterday.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #236 on: December 21, 2019, 04:06:54 AM »
yes that's what i hope!
i friend of mine just borrow me the 5M and i can't wait to  try it and to check my self all the amazing things i've heard about this f-one wing!
i have the infinity 84 slingshot front wing btw.
thanks!

Hi Winged,

I wasn't originally convinced that I would want anything larger than the 5 meter Swing.  But this video (below) of the 6 Meter Swing blew my doors off.  That is kind of wind that Chan can ride on the 5 meter and our Axis 1020 and I want a taste :).  I am talking about zero whitecap wind.  Water with almost no texture.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 04:14:22 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #237 on: December 21, 2019, 04:09:47 AM »

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 21, 2019, 04:13:17 AM »
Admin,
That’s pretty amazing!
I assume that in the video they are using the 6M ? Or as you wrote they are using the 5M?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #239 on: December 21, 2019, 04:18:22 AM »
Admin,
That’s pretty amazing!
I assume that in the video they are using the 6M ? Or as you wrote they are using the 5M?

Sorry, I cleared up my post.  That is the 6 Meter in the Video and that is what an extra 20% of area is going to get us :) ...and he is my weight.  At 125 lbs you are going to be flying on glass.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal