Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452962 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2019, 06:40:38 PM »
Just got my 6m No Hold notice from Fone. That means it’s shipping soon.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2019, 06:53:51 PM »
That's how I felt this morning in the Harbor. I foil surfed from 7:00 AM until about 10:30, pretty fun, and then the wind came up. I went over to the Canoe Hale since Steven Ross, Bill Boyum and Peggy King wanted to go there. I knew it would be much better at Kanaha but they like the Harbor. I did a few passes, struggled in the lulls, got gassed with Diesel fumes from a big Pasha freighter at the pier, and bailed to Kanaha where it was blowdryer 20mph and some nice waves. I went until my knee started calling quits. If the knee had behaved I'd have been there 'till dark, but as it is, my body is saying WTF pretty much everywhere.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2019, 07:42:06 AM »
New valve on strut for the 6 meter

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: December 07, 2019, 05:22:14 PM »
Had my first session in the ocean today with a building NE swell. Winds were 22-26mph side onshore and the 3.5M paired with the 2400 wing was awesome. The waves were breaking around stomach high on sets and the period was probably 5 seconds, so it was tricky to say the least. Heading out at full speed towards a set, depowering and gybing onto the wave face was a blast. I can’t wait for a side offshore wind hitting a 10 second period swell where the conditions are less chaotic.

My buddy came out and borrowed my 5m for his first session ever. He’s only been sup foiling for a few months. It was challenging for him and he didn’t quite get up on foil, but he was close.

Foiling and winging has completely changed the game for me. So many green light days now!!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #199 on: December 07, 2019, 05:49:25 PM »
I pulled the trigger on a new E-bike today, to make down winding logistics easier.

Winging is taking over our lives  ;D

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2019, 05:54:40 PM »
Nice! Keep us posted on the foil bike rack progress!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

HBsups

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2019, 09:05:00 PM »
I thought I'd share a bit of my stoke learning with the swing 5.0 - after enjoying reading about everyone elses expereinces.

By way of background, I SUP reasoanbly well (24.5 x 14 NSP sonic beign my main board) but no windsurfing or kite surfing experience. I'm riding a 7.6 115 liters converted JP slate with the axis 1020. I weight about 86kgs plus gear.
My fist session had been a bit of a nightmare. Lots of walks of shame and getting dragged into the shore going nowhere. Plus I couldn't even get on the board and stand up on my switch stance.

The plan for today's second session was just do some more slogging about and keep learing the wing, hopefully including standing up in switch. I had no intention of foiling so had the mast set far back in the box (but still wanted the foil on for stability and some pointing).

It all went pretty well. I started off in about 10 knots onshore in a forgiving bay with water up to armpits a fair way out (Kohi bay Auckland). Not much problem getting on in regular stance. I hold the swing on the leading edge handle with my leading hand, get onto my knees facing across the board, grab the first handle with my trailing hand and then pull the wing down onto my sholder to create balance with the back of the wing pushing agaisnt the water. Then I put my leading hand back on the board to help balance as I step up with my front foot and then grab the wing again as I step with with my back foot. The wing is still jammed against my shoulder providing balance. I noticed its a different approach to the Blue Planet videos, so I'll see if I need to evolve the approach in higher winds.
It took me about 10 or 15 tries to do the same getting up into my switch stance, but I got there in the end and had it pretty solid by the end of the day.
Managing the Swing was easy. Sure the wind was lite, but wing sat there being pretty docicle as I faffed about in the water and didn't create any problems - only flipping itself upside down a couple of times. Very happy with that aspect so far.
Slogging about flying the wing was great fun, and as the wind built during the morning to about 15 kts I got a better sense of speed and some idea of how much fun this must be once up on the foil. I also figured out turing downwind and got some sensation of catching the waves. By the end of the session I was jybing and starting to learn to fly the wing heelside and change my stance (very tentatively). I was still having to walk the board upwind a bit between reaches, but with much less drama.
So overall today felt like good progress. I think I'll try a couple more session of slogging before I try and get up on the foil, but it all feels much closer after today! 
Cheers

HB

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #202 on: December 08, 2019, 05:30:16 AM »
HB, that sounds awesome!  It also sounds like really nice wind to work on foiling.  Great to hear your progress.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: December 08, 2019, 11:25:59 AM »
Picked up the 6 Meter Swing at Windance today.  It weighs in at 4.8 lbs.  Stoked to see what the range is.  20% more area than the 5 should get us down to some silly low wind speeds.  They also let me borrow me the F-One 4'3 21L Pocket (Kite) Foilboard.  That is coming to the pool tomorrow.  I'm interested to see how the labeled volume lines up with the other small boards we have been trying.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:35:07 PM by Admin »

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 08, 2019, 02:54:23 PM »
Picked up the 6 Meter Swing at Windance today.  It weighs in at 4.8 lbs.  Stoked to see what the range is.  20% more area than the 5 should get us down to some silly low wind speeds.

Wow - 4.8lbs, so light! Can't wait to hear how low you can go with the new 6M.

HBsups

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2019, 11:33:23 PM »
HB, that sounds awesome!  It also sounds like really nice wind to work on foiling.  Great to hear your progress.

Thanks Amin
On reflection, mine was a rather lengthy post for someone sloggging about. But anyway, the wing works great!
And I’ll also look forward to hearing about the 6.
Cheers HB

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #206 on: December 09, 2019, 07:54:54 AM »
HB,  "I think I'll try a couple more session of slogging before I try and get up on the foil,"    ....that's an interesting approach. Who'd a thought? 

I'd bet most people simply 'Charge!' and go-for-it. (the foil)  ' Makes a lot of sense to me. (not having done either) Perhaps like getting comfortable on flatwater before you hit the waves on a regular SUP.  I'll bet you bypass some frustration.  Good luck.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #207 on: December 09, 2019, 08:12:38 AM »
Jim, that’s pretty much standard operating procedure for new foilers being guided by experienced foilers. Lone Rangers do the ride full height, and crash course.

We tell students to ride on the water first, learn to weight forward and hold it DOWN.
Step 2, let it foil up 6” and skim foil. Let the boards bottom, kiss the top of the chop. This kissing, adds stability, teaches you control.
Step 3 let it come a little higher and test your foiling legs (balance without any support)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #208 on: December 09, 2019, 12:51:52 PM »
Copy, DW.   This kinda reminds me of kites in the early 2000s.  "What happens if I..?"  I lost two boards and (luckily) a whole kite (dangerous POS, 3-liner from Canada) in the first years.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #209 on: December 12, 2019, 11:55:58 AM »
Jacky rode the 2.8m today. I wish I could have caught it on camera. It’s so cute seeing someone wing with a handkerchief

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal