Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452959 times)

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2019, 03:50:13 AM »
Admin,

Thanks! I was not switching feet and I was able to hook in toe side using the mystic 2face sliding hook. It was a bit trickier to swing the line into the hook on my front hip, so I only did it for once on this run. When I did, I found myself riding high and had to work to keep the foil down (probably was effectively de-weighting my front leg due to the lift of the wing). I will certainly be trying it again to sort out how effective it can be on a long tack. 

I’m curious if hooking in riding switch makes it easier. The Swing is so balanced when hooked in, it allows for more focus on altitude control and pointing it upwind.

I had previously had concerns of not being able to unhook on a spill. Well it happened to me once on a breach and it was very tame; sort of hang glided to a soft landing  ;D
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2019, 03:53:47 AM »
No harness toe side for me.

Efficient toe side riding requires back to wing and leaning face forward. Works in harness kiting. You’d have to spin your waist harness winging. It’s just easier to switch feet. Besides, if I don’t switch feet, the back leg burns out too quick, and there goes my surfing to shit. Need to preserve the good leg.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 28, 2019, 10:19:29 AM »
The DaKine Maniac hook is pretty much ideal for Winging. It can slide to the back if you want, and automatically slides to the side going upwind. I haven't tried it going heelside yet. I need to work on that. My success ratio for switchfoot jibes remains miserably low.

Initially I was using the belt around my waist, but I found that to be clumsy. Now I put it just under my chest and above my gut. Kind of an ideal spot with the Ion impact vest I generally wear. I need to come up with a good way to keep the vest down--probably attach it to my shorts and solve two problems at once. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #168 on: November 28, 2019, 02:59:59 PM »
Today....12 mph wind. I included 2 knee starts in the video. Notice the wind pressure on the wing is so light, I barely have any balance support once standing, yet the Wing Board jumps onto foil so easy. Even my Swing pumps are weak due to so little wind. Little boards just unstick like magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw7c2R-jzOo
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 03:15:09 PM by Dwight (DW) »

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 28, 2019, 03:17:13 PM »
Which foil? 900? 1000? 1020?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #170 on: November 28, 2019, 03:20:03 PM »

I use the 1000 only in real wind. 15 mph+
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 03:36:46 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2019, 03:46:58 AM »
Hi Dwight, 6.0 Swings are coming available now.  I wonder how light that will get us?  I need to know.  No straps.  Is that a new deck?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2019, 04:15:07 AM »
My 6m has been ordered. I’m getting one from this batch.  My guess 10 mph works, 12 mph becomes easier.

I’m on my 5’1 wing board. I’m always strapless. Did you note F-one chose to make their wing boards all strapless. Wing boards are so nimble, they leap off the water and pump super efficient, so you can enjoy the freedom of surfing with free feet.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2019, 04:36:34 AM »
Hah!  We ordered one as well.  I am thinking the starting point goes down to 8 MPH.  I did notice that about the F-one boards.  I wish they had included inserts.  It is a great option and from looking around it looks like half or maybe more of the riders are using at least one strap at least some of the time. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2019, 07:30:11 AM »
If production wing boards include straps, it adds 2 lbs of board weight. Not just the insert weight, but the board jumping reinforcements.

HBsups

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2019, 12:22:31 AM »
Slight diversion - how are you guys packing and drying your Swings?

I'm the proud owner of a 5.0 swing and went out today for the first time and took a good lashing but made some progress. Especially pleased with the way the wing behaved (although sub 15kt wind). All problems were operator error in super choppy sea.

However I did find it a unexpected challenge to deflate, with air moving between the strut and leading edge (OK, first world problems...). I've watched the packing video from Ozone - ie fold up the central strut then roll in the sides- but wondering if there were any tricks out there to simplify the process? (Eg pinching the connection to the strut?)

Also, do you guys bother to rinse after use in the sea - (assuming it will be packed away for at least a week)?
And any cunning tips for drying? - I reinflated when I got home, but think next time I'll just hang on the washing line by the leading edge handle...

Cheers

Hamish

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2019, 02:39:12 AM »
Hi Hamish,

Stoked that you are loving that wing.  Deflating (the strut) is a PITA.  When you push in the deflation pin the leading edge should empty immediately.  Then jiggle the tube to get the strut started and then work air down the strut from the far end.  You can do this with temporary folds.  Once you have folded the wing for packing give it a bear hug.  That is the best we have found although not perfect.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2019, 03:51:43 AM »
We roll up the center strut compressing the air out.  Then unroll it and finishing packing the wing up like a kite. Roll wing tips to center strut.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2019, 01:26:47 PM »
I just noticed the warning signs on the kite saying to close the valve after deflating. I had not been doing that. This time I did by deflating fully with a bear hug, then placing on the ground and opening slightly to find the valve and shut it.

I haven’t been drying mine. I do remember reading in the manual that they recommend inflating for drying. Not sure why, maybe preserving the structure and less odd stress points.

Just put in a session in 8-14mph. It was a lot of slogging around but it was great practice pumping to get up on foil.  Heart rate was up and I was overheated it my 4/3. I can’t wait for a good wind day haha.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »
They want you to put the valve back together, so the plug doesn’t damage the canopy, when put back in the bag. Because some kook, somewhere, is sure to throw something heavy (like his board) on it top of it in his car, then drive around for days wearing a hole in it.

If you ride fresh water, mildew can happen. Salt water, not the same issue.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 02:19:38 PM by Dwight (DW) »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal