Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452990 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2019, 07:50:44 AM »
Does anyone have a link to the original content?  Was this a preproduction wing or did they remove the neoprene?  On the production wings there is a large neoprene patch that has three stitch lines that also go through and reinforce that black plastic supporting underlayer.  If you look at a production wing the leash string is attached to another horizontal cord under that plastic layer that then bends down and is secured by the three stitch lines of the neoprene patch.  A failure of the outer material or one (or both) of the two vertical stitch lines would not release the leash.  The leash isn't attached up there.  It is attached to a cord which runs down and under the triple stitch.  This connection is much more robust than it appears with multiple fail-safes.  It would take much more damage than is present in that image to release the leash.  This almost looks like an abrasion tear of the outer material above the actual connection point. It also doesn't look like this wing has been repaired.  All of the stitch lines (and more) in that image are present on the production wings.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:34:19 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2019, 12:57:15 PM »
Good point. It does look like some early production model.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2019, 01:02:05 PM »
BTW Admin, you have to starting using a harness. It now seems as silly to ride without one, as it would to windsurf without one.

I found a super soft, zero support, very light Dakine harness that is ideal. It is the kind of harness you would consider a POS by todays standard. Ideal for winging. I hear Dakine is releasing a light travel harness in Feb. I’m set. Had an awesome wave session today. Used the harness on each upwind reach to allow me to wave sail in place at the Jetty.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 01:03:47 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2019, 03:56:19 PM »
You've talked me into it.  Send links to these harnesses.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2019, 04:40:28 PM »
This one. Throw the seat attachment in the trash.

http://www.windance.com/Dakine-2019-Chameleon-XS-Black/45573/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2019, 04:45:09 PM »
I just made a belt for the Dakine Maniac sliding hook (Thanks FLKiter). I think it's going to be great. My sewing is on the brutal side, I'm out of practice. I used to be pretty good.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 04:48:07 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2019, 05:39:52 PM »
Re: Admin

I don’t think this guys leash ever completely failed, just the outer material started to fail after continued thrashing in HI. I moved leash to the front handle today and it did not bother me.

Session notes: 10-15mph and I was good to go with the 5m and 2400 foil. Tried riding switch for the first time as I was having trouble getting up on foil on my weak side. What a shocker, so hard!! Foot placement is crucial riding switch as I don’t have the ability to micro adjust like I do on my dominant stance. Much harder than riding switch snowboarding or skateboarding (I can switch kick flip etc) 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2019, 01:32:41 AM »
Re: Admin

I don’t think this guys leash ever completely failed, just the outer material started to fail after continued thrashing in HI. I moved leash to the front handle today and it did not bother me.

Yeah, I am very confident in the stock leash connection.  You would need to really destroy that area to have a failure.    Same with the leash itself.  It is just strong cordage so all of the normal failure spots are gone.  Board leashes?  Not so much. 

Stoked to hear that it is going well for you.  Switch is a mind bender at first.  We all struggled with that long after we were solid on our strong sides.  Then one day it just seemed fine.  All of a sudden I didn't have a preference.  Crazy brains of ours!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 07, 2019, 03:22:15 PM »
Switch is a mind bender at first.  We all struggled with that long after we were solid on our strong sides.  Then one day it just seemed fine.  All of a sudden I didn't have a preference.  Crazy brains of ours!

I'm still waiting for that to happen. I can get where I want to go riding swtich, but I feel like a passenger doing navigation.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2019, 09:34:59 AM »
Just went for a morning downwinder on the James River by my house.  Side-offshore gusty conditions ranging from 10 in the lulls to just over 30mph on the gusts.  Threw on my 2400 wing and grabbed the 5M Swing.  As I was walking down to the shore a big gust came and I ran back to grab the 3.5M for the first time. 

Initially I thought I made the wrong decision, but once I got out into the wind window, I was up and cruising quite a bit, although I was pumping a lot to try and stay on foil in the holes. I got a lot of practice popping up on foil to say the least.  Going from the 5M to 3.5M, it felt a lot more nimble and I was unaccustomed to the lack of balance assistance the 5M afforded.  Nailed a few of my first flying gybes so I'm stoked. 

Coming into the landing at the park by my house, I was cruising on some 1' wind swell past the fishing pier and had an epiphany.  Years ago, I had this re-occuring dream were I was surfing in the river next to the pier in some windswell.  This was before I go into foiling.  Not a dream anymore. 

The wing is a perfect addition for me.  The launch and landing point was definitely not good for kiting.  The shoreline at the park is 'off-limits' so I had to dodge the park rangers to make it out haha. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2019, 01:03:21 PM »
Grabbed the video camera just in time to catch Jacky pinching real hard upwind (to the point of stalling) trying to make Kelly Park and avoid walking through stingray flats and swimming across a boat channel.

Sorry, that’s all I got for today.

4.2m Swing in really light wind. 5’1 x 25 board for her. You get a brief peak at how easy it comes onto foil. She’s riding the Axis 92. Switch stance for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vdHc5zqJ34
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 01:44:43 PM by Dwight (DW) »

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2019, 02:25:15 PM »
Went out for a quick 2 mile DW today on my lunch break. 5m and 2400 foil. Maybe hitting 15mph. I tried the harness line for the first time and wow! It works so well. It was like autopilot and launched me at a good clip upwind. Hit personal best speed on the 2400 wing by a few mph.

Finally nailing flying gybes in both directions, back to back. It’s all starting to come together! So fun. Can’t wait to take it to the ocean for some swell riding. Probably my 8th session with the wing.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2019, 03:34:39 PM »
VB-foil,

What’s your method for getting back to your car?

Here in Cocoa Beach we can ride the city bus for $1.50 with surfboard, kite, and wet board shorts, as long as we have flip flops. That’s our downwind method. But with foil on our boards, we can’t ride the bus  >:(

Thought about going back to old method. Leave e-bike at finish line, but then need to build board and foil carrier on the bike.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 04:07:05 PM by Dwight (DW) »

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2019, 04:26:39 PM »
Logistics get crazy with downwinders. I can’t wait to get to the point where I can just go upwind first a few long tacks then head back. Almost there. The harness line shows the way.

I lock up my onewheel at the water exit with the empty wing bag (except for foil covers). Then I just onewheel the .5 miles back to my house to ditch the board before the longer ride to the car.

I’ve tried it before, away from my local, and broke down the foil and bagged it for the 3 mile upwind onewheel ride with a 20mph headwind and sup under the arm. That was more taxing than the winging.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2019, 02:36:23 AM »
Went out for a quick 2 mile DW today on my lunch break. 5m and 2400 foil. Maybe hitting 15mph. I tried the harness line for the first time and wow! It works so well. It was like autopilot and launched me at a good clip upwind. Hit personal best speed on the 2400 wing by a few mph.

Finally nailing flying gybes in both directions, back to back. It’s all starting to come together! So fun. Can’t wait to take it to the ocean for some swell riding. Probably my 8th session with the wing.

Awesome VB!

Are you switching your feet?  How is the harness toeside?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal