Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 453013 times)

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2019, 11:06:09 AM »
Anyone using the harness line on the F-One Swing? I believe that feature is unique to the Swing compared to all other wings.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »
I just got back from the most surreal session.  Got to the (empty) beach at 11:00 and no one is there.  Spotty 15 with gusts to 20 and lulls to 10 (MPH).  I go out on my 3.5 Swing and my Axis 1020 and it is intermittent but really fun.  The lulls wouldn't get me up but the far side was filled in and awesome.  Got some great runs over there and my off-side was even working now and then.  That is new and that alone would have made for a great day.  Around noon the wind drops hard.  No white caps.  The lulls are about 8 MPH and the average feels like 12, 13 MPH.  But, after yesterday I am stoked to try the 5.  Luckily I am near shore, do a 5 minute rerig (crazy, but that is all it takes) and I am back out on the 5.  This is where it goes to 11.  The water is so amazingly smooth.  Just baby 3-4 inch ripple/chop.  I see a little lift coming and when it is on me I pump a few times for the most resistance free take off ever.  Not an obstacle around.  No swell, no current, no people, nada.  I could see the end of the cat's paw that I was riding and as I passed through it I leg pump once and that extra boost glides me 15 feet past the edge and then lets me softly down.  This is when I holler.  The wind would improve for solid periods and then let off to puff riding but holy shit.  Being a beginner at something that fights you this hard is so fun because the new highs are so rewarding and so new.  We had to go and I missed it when the wind came back up but I didn't care at all.  I love this sport.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 03:00:31 PM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »
Did you snag the Axis 1000 wing? Get one before they are gone. I was switching back and forth between the 1020 and 1000 today winging in 15-25 with the 4m. Trying to learn the ins and outs of the two wings. Oh boy, is the super glider 1000 a dream winging. It takes a little shove from a wave to pop it up, but then it just flies through anything, like a hot knife in butter slick water. It looks close to the GL-210 in size.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2019, 04:02:00 PM »
No, you know, wait a second...OK, now yes.  A 1000 and a 900 for Chan.  I hope they are still in stock because September is proving to be an awesome month and October could be epic :).  What tail and fuselage are you using with the 1000?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2019, 04:23:15 PM »
Gear slut.

Yes, today was awesome. I went to Rock Creek and it was light. Looked too light but I went on the five and in what felt like 15mph I popped up with just a couple of wing pumps and floated effortlessly across the river. Smooth as glass, like levitating. It was nearly a religious experience.

I did OK on the backside coming back, got a few long rides and a lot of short ones--the up, level out, lose it a little and recover going downwind kind. I didn't fall. Did a creditable semi-foiling jibe, got solidly up, and drifted across the river again. Holy shit, this is cool. I did a bunch of steering, getting used to turning a little harder, some short downwind jaunts, tried a foiling jibe, totally lost everything. I just laid there in the water and yelled.

The wind came up unfortunately, and I started being overpowered. I was still having fun, but my shoulders were going south rapidly. My last run back I fell in and realized I was a long way upwind from the creek. I turned downwind and rode on my knees. Then I realized there were some pretty good swells, so I pumped a little, caught a swell, and popped up on the foil on my knees. The wing made it easy to control the board, so I stayed on my knees up on the foil, until I got to the takeout.

That was cool. Every second. Silly fun. But my shoulders are killing me.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 04:25:01 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2019, 04:51:48 PM »
  What tail and fuselage are you using with the 1000?

Short fuselage and 440 tail. For no particular reason, other than just trying things.

HBsups

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2019, 07:50:43 PM »
Stoked to hear the 5s are going well!
Admin any chance of a wingspan measurement on the F-one? Or if you are feeling generous, a picture of the FOne laid over the duotone (I think you have both?).

I知 taking it from the descriptions that the bigger wings aren稚 too bad to handle in the light winds...?

I知 Really enjoying reading about the journey from you and Phono, and I知 looking forward to hearing how the 4.2 goes.

Cheers HB

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2019, 08:03:29 AM »
Stoked to hear the 5s are going well!
Admin any chance of a wingspan measurement on the F-one? Or if you are feeling generous, a picture of the FOne laid over the duotone (I think you have both?).

I知 taking it from the descriptions that the bigger wings aren稚 too bad to handle in the light winds...?

I知 Really enjoying reading about the journey from you and Phono, and I知 looking forward to hearing how the 4.2 goes.

Cheers HB

Hi HB,

I am not sure that it is going to be that helpful to compare the wings by area.  These Swings pack a lot of juice so I am using a smaller size than I would have previously expected and the low wind potential is phenomenal.  I am interested to hear how other people are finding that difference but there is certainly a multiplication (division) factor that needs to be applied.

I can say that in this ultra light wind range the size of the 5.0 Swing is no problem.  The water is so smooth in these conditions and the wind is so subtle that everything feels relatively soft and easy.  I was out there damning whoever posted that cruisy video the other day.  I could not fight that song off.  If there's one thing in my life that's missing NO its the time that I spend alone STOP, get out Sailing on the cool and bright clear water  Ah, shit.

This light wind side of the sport may be my favorite.  It is a really incredible feeling.  I am still buzzed from my session yesterday.  The cool thing is how this will open things up in lighter wind areas.  We were just visiting Cape Cod and also Chicago and both places had plenty of days that were 5.0 Swing conditions.  Most places with water will be in play.  How cool is that?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 08:23:26 AM by Admin »

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2019, 09:33:28 AM »
I'm interested in finding out how these work for smaller wingers.   Anyone under 120lb try these?  Do they have too much loft?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2019, 11:44:11 AM »
I'm interested in finding out how these work for smaller wingers.   Anyone under 120lb try these?  Do they have too much loft?

Have you not seen Bonzaigrom  ;D

Seriously though, no worries. Jacky can ride anything I can ride. She just stands farther forward on the board. It really is that simple.

As for these super glider wings, the amazing trick with them, is no feeling of blowing out, or hitting a top end. Where as a draggy fat wing, being pushed faster than ideal, puts you in a nose down flying position.

You値l handle wind gusts with no pitching up from the wing. That痴 why guys are freaking out over tow surfing with them. Same with kiters trying them. They just stay steady eddy, and glide forever. I rode mine again this morning in the tropical storm gust fest. 4m wing at the scary limit. I only had to concentrate on wing. The 1000 Axis was immune to gusts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1xi4fXnEqD/?igshid=11g7iniv1ysvt
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 11:46:28 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2019, 03:07:18 PM »
Just to be clear...even though Jacky can ride what I ride, she does ride one wing size smaller than me.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2019, 12:42:51 AM »
These Swings pack a lot of juice so I am using a smaller size than I would have previously expected and the low wind potential is phenomenal.  I am interested to hear how other people are finding that difference but there is certainly a multiplication (division) factor that needs to be applied.

This light wind side of the sport may be my favorite.  It is a really incredible feeling.  I am still buzzed from my session yesterday.  The cool thing is how this will open things up in lighter wind areas.  We were just visiting Cape Cod and also Chicago and both places had plenty of days that were 5.0 Swing conditions.  Most places with water will be in play.  How cool is that?

How does the wind range of the 5.0 Swing  compare to that of the Duotone 5.0?
I have a 5.0 Duotone  and need about 15 knots  and would really love to go in 12 knots...

And did you have to get used  to having just 4 handles?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2019, 02:30:33 AM »
These Swings pack a lot of juice so I am using a smaller size than I would have previously expected and the low wind potential is phenomenal.  I am interested to hear how other people are finding that difference but there is certainly a multiplication (division) factor that needs to be applied.

How does the wind range of the 5.0 Swing  compare to that of the Duotone 5.0?
I have a 5.0 Duotone  and need about 15 knots  and would really love to go in 12 knots...

And did you have to get used  to having just 4 handles?

Have you been able to get any extra pull from your Duotone by shortening the boom length?  We don't have the 5 meter Duotone.  Bill has that one.  On the Swing 5 Meter and Axis 1020 12 knots (14 MPH) is working.  We both had a lot of fun on it again yesterday in silly-light wind.  Chan took it out (yes, I am painfully aware that I just wrote that this would never occur) and blew my mind.  She was foiling out on puddle ripples.  That was her first session on a Swing and when she came in she had the look on her face.  Time for, a cool ch  Damnit
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 02:41:49 AM by Admin »

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2019, 04:43:55 AM »
Especially in (very) light winds it is very nice to have a very light wing so that it keeps flying, much easier on the shoulders.

I guess I am looking for reasons to get a 5.0 Swing...

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2019, 05:18:06 AM »
What is the weight of your Duotone 5 with the boom?

About the handles, no I don't miss the extra handles.  There are only 3 handles on the strut of the Swing.  One for the front hand and two for the rear hand.  On the first day it took me a minute to get used to swapping hands in that single front handle during Jibes.  I really only use two of the 3 handles for riding.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal