Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452983 times)

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 09:55:28 AM »
Thanks!
Is there someone in the gorge who actually has them in stock?
Thanks!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 02:21:54 PM »
Thanks!
Is there someone in the gorge who actually has them in stock?
Thanks!

I don't believe so.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »
On August 14th, when this was posted, Windance said they had stock. Listen to the end. I guess Admin bought them all.  ;D

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B1KG_wEH_sq/?igshid=6bf4ne0m4ap8

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 03:29:14 PM »
On August 14th, when this was posted, Windance said they had stock. Listen to the end. I guess Admin bought them all.  ;D

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B1KG_wEH_sq/?igshid=6bf4ne0m4ap8

Hah!  I wish.  I only have a 3.5.  I am waiting on the 3 other sizes.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2019, 08:09:04 AM »
Windance is sold out and waiting for a second shipment.

HBsups

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 12:32:11 AM »
Admin

Any further news on the Swing?
You have said that the wing has a lot of grunt for its size. Any thoughts on how the 3.5 swing might compare to the Duotone 4?
How do you think durability will go? Does it feel like any compromises come with the lower weight, or is that just through removing handles etc?
After your posts, I’m wondering whether the swing 4.2 might be a better option than a 5m....
Cheers

Hamish

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 02:49:17 AM »
Admin

Any further news on the Swing?
You have said that the wing has a lot of grunt for its size. Any thoughts on how the 3.5 swing might compare to the Duotone 4?
How do you think durability will go? Does it feel like any compromises come with the lower weight, or is that just through removing handles etc?
After your posts, I’m wondering whether the swing 4.2 might be a better option than a 5m....
Cheers

Hamish

Hi Hamish,

I have 6 days on the 3.5 Swing now.  Yesterday was a great test because it was going from very light inside (partially blocked by an upwind island) to good wind (22-27ish) on the far side of the river.  I moved up to an Axis 1020 (new foil for me) which has more lift than what I had been using.  With this combo the 3.5 will lift me up in some surprisingly light wind.  I definitely would have been fine with the 2.8 on the far side (and this was good wind but far from really windy).  Right now I feel like 4.2 will get me out in really light wind and 5.0, well l guess I will see when it shows up but from what I am feeling with the 3.5 I would think that it would work with a breath of air. 

It goes without saying that this sport is very gear sensitive.  I am sure there are sports with more gear variables but this is getting up there.  You can really throttle yourself with the wrong gear and diagnosing the issue may take experience that you just don't have (yes, that was autobiographical).  I mention that because your underwater kit will matter a lot as will your weight and body size.  That said if I could only own one Swing here in the Gorge, it would be 3.5.  15-18 is great on this wing.  If I were in a lighter wind spot I would choose the 4.2 (but this is a guess based on the 3.5 because I have never even held one). 

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2019, 02:48:00 AM »

The weight savings is from heavy part exclusion.  There are no extra handles or angle handles, no boom or second strut, no battens, no anti flutter panels or inflatable trailing edges. 

The canopy material is double ripstop and the leading edge materiel looks and feels to be the same as on our Duotone and SPG.  All of these wings show great craftsmanship in sewing and details.  Each uses abrasion panels at the wingtips. 

In our experience these wings are getting damaged in one way.  Hitting an upturned foil.  That will go through the canopy.  We haven't had this happen on the Swing yet as we try to be very careful about this now. 

The other thing that could damage a wing is dragging.  Things get a little unwieldy when you are carrying a board with foil and a wing over uneven and sometimes slippery launch environments.  Dragging can happen even when you have planned well.  For me the Swings are proving helpful here in two ways.  1.  They are very light so they remain flying in almost no wind which helps keep them from dragging.  2. I am toting a 3.5 where  I would have previously been on a 5.0.  It is just way less cumbersome.

I was initially a skeptic about how much of an advantage there would be to very light weight (because these wings are all relatively light).  In CNN speak, I have evolved :).  In my mind this is a huge benefit in every way. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 03:00:45 AM by Admin »

GL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 04:43:15 AM »
Most of my launches make it almost impossible to carry the wing and board into the water together. To make this easier I made up a small anchor with some lead weights, a couple of feet of line and a large carabiner. The line floats. I carry the wing upside down into the water with the weights attached to the leading edge handle. I then let it float there anchored while I get the board.  In the water I unhook the anchor and leave it there for the end of my session. This has made my entry and exit from water much easier.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 06:15:42 AM »
Most of my launches make it almost impossible to carry the wing and board into the water together. To make this easier I made up a small anchor with some lead weights, a couple of feet of line and a large carabiner. The line floats. I carry the wing upside down into the water with the weights attached to the leading edge handle. I then let it float there anchored while I get the board.  In the water I unhook the anchor and leave it there for the end of my session. This has made my entry and exit from water much easier.

Wow, OK, I have to do that. Why I didn't think of that I have to put down to pure laziness. I look like an impending disaster getting into and out of the water.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

HBsups

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2019, 02:35:48 AM »

The weight savings is from heavy part exclusion.  There are no extra handles or angle handles, no boom or second strut, no battens, no anti flutter panels or inflatable trailing edges. 

Thanks Admin for your full answers there. Most appreciated!

I’m a bit worried about durability as one my one go with a wing it was getting a little beaten and run over by the front of my board (I was having a learner’s nightmare). But it sounds like FOne have lost weight without sacrificing too much in the durability department. I’ll look forward to reading about how you go when the other wings arrive!

Cheers
Hamish

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2019, 03:55:22 AM »
Hamish, canopies are the weak spot.

They come 4 types.
1x1 strand reinforced
2x2
3x4
4x4

The 4x4 is the most crispy canopy, and from my experience, lasts longer. It just feels tougher.  2x2 feels like a bed sheet after using 4x4 canopy. Manufacturers use techno marketing BS to describe these differences.

All based on my kite experience.

I don’t know what’s in all these wing dings.

Count the strand pattern in the canopy, when you see one up close.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2019, 04:16:30 AM »
I’m a bit worried about durability as one my one go with a wing it was getting a little beaten and run over by the front of my board (I was having a learner’s nightmare). But it sounds like FOne have lost weight without sacrificing too much in the durability department. I’ll look forward to reading about how you go when the other wings arrive!

Cheers
Hamish

My F-One had few run-ins with my fins, not to mention the few times I landed on it clean full weight.
I also had the pleasure of dragging it on some hard surfaces.

I'm trying hard to avoid all that but luckily the wing is intact and still a joy to use.
in progress...

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2019, 08:16:09 PM »
Windance should be getting their second shipment in soon. Anyone heard?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 07:12:41 AM »
Here is a picture showing the very different approaches by F-One, Duotone and Ozone.  One thing that sticks out to me is that F-one has taken a higher aspect approach which is using a more linear inflatable leading edge and less leading edge material than the more "D" shaped lower aspect wings (which are carrying the inflated leading edge back to almost the full width of the wing). It also shows the depth differences that are shaped into the wings.  You can see how significant the forward pocket is on the f-one.  Pretty cool.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:18:14 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal