Author Topic: F-One Swing  (Read 452974 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: F-One Swing
« Reply #375 on: August 08, 2020, 09:15:46 PM »
Easy leash to make, but I need to find a source for the boogie board-style wrist cuffs they use. You can push elastic cord up the middle of spectra line, you can get fancy and use a fid to feed the line out through the side of the spectra and then knot it as F-one does, or just tie an overhand knot that includes the elastic. Then squish up the spectra as much as you want and tie off the other end like a long skinny scrunchie. It's a little fiddly but I've made leashes that way before. The alternative is some hollow strap. I have some 3/4" but it's a little heavy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dylbert_

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 09, 2020, 05:28:49 AM »
Like Bill said, super easy to make at home!  An alternative to hollow strap is dyneema chafe sleeve.  similar strength to round spectra line, but is hollow and flat.  I've found it holds up a little better than spectra line, and you can get it as small as 3mm.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #377 on: December 05, 2020, 04:22:57 AM »
Some new info from F-One.  Sizes, availability, intended rider. 

For the past year and a half, the team has been building and testing additional prototypes to understand how a wing works and how it should react. With things being so new and the many improvements that have been made since the original Swing product, the team decided to release a new model which will satisfy another type of riders’ needs!

The original Swing has been improved and will come back in 2021 to suit beginners’ needs just as well as the experienced riders who are looking for a compact and very easy to use and handling wing. The Strike, our new performance wing, will satisfy those who are looking for increased upwind performance as well as impressive jumping abilities. Check out Titouan Galea’s Instagram profile for a sneak peek of what is possible! We are very proud of our wing range, which has been developed with the exact same level of attention as our kite range.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 20, 2020, 08:43:01 PM »
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 08:46:51 PM by deja vu »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #379 on: December 21, 2020, 12:38:52 AM »
That is pretty big departure from the Swings.  That is a LOT of dihedral.  Not sure about the handles either.  I think we are finally at the point where we will be able to demo wings this summer so it will be cool to check this out.

https://www.f-one.world/product/strike/

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #380 on: December 21, 2020, 03:48:23 AM »
This is the issue we have with the Duotone Echo with big dihedral. While the Echo IS TAME flying off the nose handle, these are the simple drawbacks for us. Likely why some say it still doesn’t behave great.

This one shows the shoulder tweaks when wing is upside down and rider in the water. Crashes, etc. Jacky has to be cautious of an old dislocated shoulder. She HAS tweaked it because of dihedral.

This one shows why big dihedral is prone to flipping over a lot when down. In the water, crashing, mounting the board etc. Wind with any crab angle to YOU makes it want to flip and/or jump around.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #381 on: December 21, 2020, 05:09:16 AM »
Seems like Fone is doing what Slingshot has with the Dart (similar shape to the Strike) while keeping the Slingwing V2 (Swing 2).  The Dart and Strike are more geared to freestyle, sinker starts, jumping, etc.  Below is a quote from Slingshot about the Dart concept. 

"For an inexperienced rider the Dart is simply more difficult to handle than the V2. The trailing edge billows like an old-school hang-glider and provides a significant power source. The air flowing over the large LE and into the trailing edge billow does deliver incredible lift for jumps, though.

Normally such a huge LE would make a wing slow and not very good at going upwind, however the pointy nose and raked back wing tips of the Dart shed the vast majority of the headwind and the increased aerodynamic performance allows for a much higher top speed, better acceleration and good penetration into the wind.

The swept back wingtips allow you to waterstart sinker boards by laying the incredibly swept back LE on the water and using the power of the upper half of the wing to pull you over the board and onto your feet. 

The Dart's quick acceleration, speed difference, loft for jumping and general strong wind performance are immediately noticeable and are the main advantages that riders who want to do tricks will really appreciate.
"

May not translate exactly to the Strike but there are some similarities.

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 21, 2020, 06:02:34 AM »
I also was concerned about that more dihedral shape compared to the Echo knowing myself the problems of the Echo. But I honestly can’t think they are producing a wing that is worst than his previous generation.
The whole world seems to go in less dihedral ( Ensis, Armstrong and others) and wider tips (new prototypes of Gong and Duotone) but they are doing exactly the opposite with what it looks an high Ar wing.
Maybe there is something we all still missing..? I can’t wait to try the Strike at this point
One thing is for sure: nobody jumps that high...

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #383 on: December 21, 2020, 07:54:34 AM »
This is the issue we have with the Duotone Echo with big dihedral. While the Echo IS TAME flying off the nose handle, these are the simple drawbacks for us. Likely why some say it still doesn’t behave great.

This one shows the shoulder tweaks when wing is upside down and rider in the water. Crashes, etc. Jacky has to be cautious of an old dislocated shoulder. She HAS tweaked it because of dihedral.

This one shows why big dihedral is prone to flipping over a lot when down. In the water, crashing, mounting the board etc. Wind with any crab angle to YOU makes it want to flip and/or jump around.

From the pic with it handles down on the water, looks like the trailing edge tip is sticking up so I'm hoping it's enough to not catch and flip over. Worse case I'll just have pay the extra and stay on the ensis wings.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 21, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »
Having tried several other wings at some expense I'm going to stick with F-one swings for the foreseeable future. I bought a Starboard/Airush 7M recently, and it's heavy and hard to manage. I speak marketing bullshit fluently, and when I see "sturdy" I translate to "fucking heavy". Which it is. It's also the least forgiving wing I've tried for touching a wingtip down. With my 6M Swing I can manhandle the wing in the first few seconds of a touchdown and recover the wing. With the Airush, even the tiniest momentary touch is unrecoverable--at least by me. The center strut is the longest I've seen and the strongly recommended maximum pressure is 4 pounds which makes the wing reasonably stiff and the strut floppy.

I broke my own rule of "as soon as you see a long row of handles and two diagonal straps, walk away". I shouldn't have. If the manufacturer can't figure out where to put the straps then I'm not likely to figure out which to grab. The diagonal straps are far forward, while the wing balances way back, so both they and the first two handles seem useless, as is the first of the rear handles. the harness lines on the 7M look to be at least 3 feet apart, if you use a rope harness, which I tried at first, it will probably whack you in the face as mine did. I put my fake boom on but the handle position and interference made it useless except for the harness.

The leash is the Swing style, which I like, but it comes with a pointless swivel and attaches with a larks-head knot. The leash is attached as delivered, and when I pumped up the wing for the first time I attached the leash cuff to my board to keep the wing from flying away. As soon as the wing was drawing air the leash popped loose at the lark's head and the wing flew away (I grabbed it just in time after the first cartwheel), though I had done a pull test to make sure it was secure when I started. IMHO this is a remarkably stupid way to attach a safety leash. the swivel was hard to remove because there's a neoprene guard that flips down over it, sewn into the loop which shortens the loop to the point the cuff can't pass through. I had to cut away the guard to remove all that crap and convert the leash to being securely fastened.

The windows are nice but require a lot of care to avoid creasing. That makes the bag about 3-4 feet long. PITA. For some reason, the bag is actually two bags--an inner one and a heavy outer one. I assume they have some purpose in mind for this but I have no clue what it is. The dimensions of both bags are the same.

If there were a 7M F-one I'd ditch this thing, but here in SoCal a 7M is necessary and F-one doesn't make one. I don't know that anyone else makes a better one yet.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 10:06:02 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 21, 2020, 06:37:11 PM »
If the Ensis 6 metre is as powerful as other brands 7 metre wings then why not just purchase the 6 metre Ensis and avoid a 7 metre altogether?  Am I missing something here?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 21, 2020, 06:49:33 PM »
44 prototypes for the Strike. If they blow it, it’s their fault.

But I’ll note that in the videos it flys fine behind those surfers.

Best wing video yet if you ask me.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: December 22, 2020, 01:12:28 AM »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #388 on: December 22, 2020, 03:32:36 AM »
Looks good in the video. Nice to see a woman included in the promo.

If the dihedral is an PIA for some, the v2 Swing is always there. The dihedral wasn’t a deal breaker on the Echo. There were just some nuclear days, when it goes wrong, and you say WTF, this doesn’t need to be like this.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 03:34:38 AM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 22, 2020, 06:40:29 PM »
The F-one leash, like the Airush leash is basically loose weave--like an anti-chafing sleeve--Spectra or Dyneema with bungee inside. You can make one pretty easily but theirs have nice spliced and sewn loops that are a pain in the ass to make yourself.

Light, doesn't tangle, won't stretch and if you tied one to a regular leash and hooked it on a bumper the urethane leash would break before the Spectra leash even started stretching. Doesn't matter how thick the urethane is. I wouldn't want to tie myself to a boar with one, but for a wing, they're great.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal