Author Topic: Beat the tariffs...!  (Read 11030 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Beat the tariffs...!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 02:06:04 PM »
That was the swimsuit edition board reveal. And yaahh .. quads not going to paddle as straight as a big center fin.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 02:30:58 PM »
right now our AU dollar is on a record low and us buying US gear is long gone. All you US ppl better start buying AU gear before we take it back  ;D

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 02:32:42 PM »
Question tho' TD...  If taken in the surf, is this just going to spin on me when I 'paddle for it'?  I try for a shoulder take off ..not straight or making big bottom turns like some of youse better guys. (I may take a big single with me tomorrow - just in case)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »
And yaahh .. quads not going to paddle as straight as a big center fin.

That depends on the paddler's technique. And I'll use myself as an example below.

My BP Duke at 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 liters can paddle a straight line with a 4 fin quad setup (2, 5.13") (2, 4.34") on the private lake I paddle when there is no wind, meaning dead calm, with me paddling only on my right side and never switching over to my left side. I just pick out a spot on the bank (tree, bush, pipe, etc) about 200 yards from me and I paddle straight to it. And the paddle I use is a Naish Alana 75 Vario RDS paddle set at 66" total length.

Under the same conditions; no wind and dead calm, I can also paddle the same straight line paddling to the same targets above with the same stroke when my Duke is installed with one single 9" fin in the center fin box and no other fins and again, only paddling on my right side.

My paddle stroke is more like this in the video below with Robert of Blue Planet. And I copied his stroke with a slight variation because my Duke is 10'5" x 32" whereas Robert's Bump Rider is about 14' x 28".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBURA5HvTOM
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 02:55:39 PM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 06:46:15 PM »
Question tho' TD...  If taken in the surf, is this just going to spin on me when I 'paddle for it'?  I try for a shoulder take off ..not straight or making big bottom turns like some of youse better guys. (I may take a big single with me tomorrow - just in case)

Jim
I don't know. Every board is different. The shape of your new friend from down under, indicates it might have some nose riding qualities / potential. If that is how I wanted to surf it, I'd put a bigger single fin on it. Make that tail lock in and stick. Maybe a big old 'D' fin. If you're planning on surfing with some driving carves, then try a thruster set-up. If you want it fast and lose, run quads. Even faster, no toe quads. If you want to surf it off the tail, then a smaller single and maybe side bites like it's set up now? Try a bunch of setup and see which one feels / works the best for how you surf it. Part of the fun of it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal