Author Topic: Beat the tariffs...!  (Read 11033 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Beat the tariffs...!
« on: August 21, 2019, 08:39:12 AM »
Last gasp... I'm out of A$ and everyone is dying around me (thankfully, not Marjie).   Zo... a friend of 20yrs I have never spoken to hauled this over to Pack-Ship in Toonoomba (named as Australia's Tidiest Town in 2008) and 6th runner up for fun'st name. 

TNT, bought by FedEx, did the paperwork and the board flew from Brisbane - Sydney - Los Angeles - Memphis.  I'd guess truck from there to Baltimore?  The last adventure was via the Panama Canal and Port of NJ - to Baltimore.  Longer, nearly as expensive, with rent-seekers holding hands out at the end ...which may have made it more expensive. 

I have not slit the tape yet...  More picture when I have a better setting.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Beat the tariffs...!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 09:11:50 AM »
packing's beautiful!

why slit it open--just surf it!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »
That's a long trip, dare I ask how much was shipping?

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 11:31:33 AM »
yep.... waiting for tomorrow isn't a good play at our age  ;D

Live well today and regret less.... instantly!

Looks like your Mummy came through without any unraveling.... good man there, in OZ.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 01:43:20 PM »
I hear striptease music....... Open it slowly........   ...    .....   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 01:45:11 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 02:19:36 PM »
I would take it out as it is and see if its better on the outside than inside and just wax it before you head out. I also heard the tariffs, not for the seller but the buyer suffers the consequences.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 02:21:55 PM by JEG »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 03:39:37 PM »
That's board packing perfection right there. I'm not understanding what you're saying about the tariffs. Was that complicated shipping itinerary something that helped beat the tariffs?
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

BetterIwas

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 05:07:32 PM »

* Toowoomba

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 10:55:35 AM »
Sorry, Better...  Grammerly did not catch that one! 

Man... there's almost nothing like cracking open the box to see 'ruin' inside.  I got a lot - I even bought them that way.  It's the rail crunches that drop the blood pressure. One came 'bad' ...and took months to replace. 

My friend agreeded to 'noodle' the rails ...but, unlike the 12' he sent - he put soft, carpet underlayment on the deck/bottom rather than more dense styrofoam. I lucked out...  (occasionally, Joe Below Average wins one!)

Jim

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 11:11:54 AM »
JEG...  It's whom (who) ever the importer is - PAYS.  You bring in baggies like major surf brands for $8 pair ...add .80 ...and you're still bagging a load of cash from the tourist in the surf shop.  I be the importer on this transaction.  A couple of times when I had used, other than, FedEx or DHL, I got whacked by rent-seekers like secondary trucking companies ...and paid about $200. for a broker to clear the customs paperwork for that 12' that came thru the Panama Canal to NJ. (You gonna get in the car drive 3hr. to figure out just where and how to do that?!  ...they know the answer: $200)

Cookie... Nah!  That routing was 'what it was' ...'nothing to do about customs.  I missed adding a flight.  Memphis (FedEx hub) to BWI.  'Gotta give FedEx props for the fine condition.

Jim

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 11:16:16 AM »
The Reveal...   First a tourist shot.  The two-lane road get clogged with people doing what I did...  "JEEZUZ!  Ju people never seen a horse before!!!" (I can understand a Grizzly...)

Jim

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 11:25:57 AM »
Nice!

So, what are the dims on that new stick?  And, aren't you afraid you will get fire-bombed for single strapping that beuty? ;D

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 11:44:57 AM »
Nah, Bean....   That's doubles. If the wind blows 60+mph from the rear... I got other problems.

I make my own straps - non-slip webbing with knarly teeth clips. My pads are non-slip rubber, I made them also.  If two boards: #1 gets double, #2 single and one at the rear.   

The board is the Atlantis Mistress - 10 x 32.  I liken it to ...if Robert August made a 'Special needs' model.  They have a 28" which I am sure would be more to most of you's' standards, but I fall in the 'needs' category. 

It is simply 'carrier deck'  ...little nose ...little tail.  It feels heavier than the 30lbs the scale says.  I tested it in flat water - hoping the wind drops tomorrow to get it salty.  I had either a cheapo plastic 9" ...some large axes ...or this Quad left from 7' directional kiteboard, vintage 2002. 

In the hour I paddled it, mostly in quartering, 4" chop it was slow compared to the very-quick, 12' Venom. It was, as expected, rolly but quite stable. The interesting part was nose-bias.  I am not used to a sinker tail when my feet pass the handle... 'times before, I seem to remember the board becoming unstable when the tail sank - this was not.  I am happy to see a lot of water over the rails. I too well remember those 'watchtower' corks I used to have. 

Besides being slow (lots of surface drag..) it did not track as well as my others, but I'd guess the fins had something to do with that...

Jim

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 11:50:15 AM »
I broke this into multiples because some pics are too fat to do multiples.   One thing of concern... the neon bottom.  I may have to bag this.  I thought about doing a UV clear, but that's a 'c'hit-load of work. I did put some car wax on the bottom that claims it has UV absorption properties...  Hmm.

Jim

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 01:45:10 PM »
That is one sweet looking board WS - congrats! 

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal