Author Topic: Lost 2 iSUP the same day  (Read 5235 times)

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lost 2 iSUP the same day
« on: August 21, 2019, 05:38:16 AM »
Last Sunday was hot and sunny. I took to the beach my 2 ISUP that I barely use recently . I first inflated my 2013 Naish  to 15psi (14 recommended). While I was inflating the second board, a Fanatic from 2014, the Naish blew up, it has a 15cm tears on the rail. I was joking about it and how lucky I was that girl who wanted to try SUP finally didn’t join when the second board also blew up. The recommended pressure is 22 but I stopped at 15psi. The Fanatic apparently had all the treads from the back of the board breaking at the same time, giving an interesting shape.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lost 2 iSUP the same day
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 07:06:45 AM »
These threads often break like that?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 07:29:48 AM »
5 to 6 years old and not being inflated much recently, I'm not real surprised. It's a bummer, but there is a shelf life to all things. With iSUPs, their service life will vary depending on where and how they are stored more than how much they got used. The fact that they both blew at the same time, is very suspicious. Maybe the gauge on your pump is off and they were over inflated? 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 07:45:58 AM »
Yes Talldude, it’s strange both blew up at the same time but I used a brand new red paddle pump I bought 3 days before and inflated boards slowly no to ruin the new pump as I did before ... I used one board maybe 100 times and the other one was given to me as rubbish (and I used it x10 times), so I have no reason to complain.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 08:26:58 AM »
Recycle bin.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 05:24:31 PM »
Already recycled as floor mats for my workshop.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 12:15:03 AM »
I’m still using several hard boards from 2007-10 period and they are every bit as good as the day I got them. There’s a lesson there.

Some of the iSUPs these days are as expensive as hard boards. For instance I have a couple of Red Paddle Compact 9-6 boards and could easily have bought hard boards for the same money. I’m going to be pretty annoyed if they only last 100 outings and go pop in 5 years.

People often buy inflatables because they think they are cheaper. Maybe in the long run they are actually more expensive.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 05:08:59 AM »
@A10,
It’s true, hard boards last longer and can be repaired. I don’t know if I’ll buy again an iSUP despite it has its merits, especially why you don’t own a car. Anyway 5 years at the gym would have cost me much more than a SUP and paddle.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal