Author Topic: OAM Boehne Blur Pad  (Read 21108 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
OAM Boehne Blur Pad
« on: August 20, 2019, 08:42:30 AM »
just ordered one to clean up my crappy piecemeal job on my portal

pricey, but it looks like a great pad to me--and wont need any incompetent cutting by me--lay it out and stick it on!

gotta get the piecemeal pads off--i seem to recall a post where the poster said best to carefully pull off as much of the pad as possible, then pool goo-gone on the gluey/foamy mess, cover with saran wrap and leave overnight---sounds good

if youve a better way, pls share

and if youve experience with this pad, love to hear about it

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: OAM Boehne Blur Pad
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 09:23:21 AM »
Mineral Spirits should do the work:
https://smile.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Automotive-253351-32-Ounce-Mineral/dp/B0070S82AU/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=mineral+spirits&qid=1566317888&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Put it on the pad wait a while and just easily peel. I didn't even have to deal with glue residue but YMMV based on how good of a job was done on your pad.
in progress...

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
+1 on placing mineral spirit soaked towels on top of the deckpad then removing.  See this thread that I posted on removing deckpad and also my thoughts on the OAM pad:

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=33115.0

Wish I found the mineral spirit approach earlier as it would have saved me a lot of heartache!  Only warning is make sure there are no dings/cracks in the board as I understand mineral spirits might eat away at the foam...

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 06:58:34 AM »
i recall your thread 805--prolly shdve just revived it--funny that video of the guy in the shop just peeling the pad off easy and clean!! with his wife's hair dryer

we'll see how stubborn the octopus surf pads i piecemealed are....

i have a multi-tool which id try, but the octo pads are thinner than normal sup, so bigger risk of scoring the board surface

if it peels at all, ill peel what i can, and do the mineral spirits saran wrap trick--will report back--psyched to have a better pad setup on my portal--i plan to get on it more--like maybe tomorrow and fri---might actually be a swell in NY and RI

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 07:45:17 AM »
I used Goo gone and a hair dryer. Worked a treat on horrible pad installed by a shop on a naked Hull Hobie.

Obviously you don't use the hair dryer on high!!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 08:36:42 AM »
thx biggie--i know you gon git you some tomorrow (you always do, you dog!)--i hope to be at a western ri rocky right in the pm--a place where some make pilgrimage, others park in the main lot with the rocks to climb down......if you know like what im sayin....some west in it

plan also is to get holy in a deep place or maybe a misty place fri at dawn...sposed to swing north

in case youre around....

pls, mother nature, swell up!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 10:51:52 AM »
Cliffs, mansions, village of hoots, concessions, pavilions - we shall see what happens!

Went to Ocean State Job Lot to buy mineral spirits. Hehe 😋
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 05:16:46 PM »
The serious goo gone (original) had all kinds of stuff in it the might soften up Titanium. I'd go carefully there. I've had good luck with one of those vibrating multitool things that no one has a good name for yet and a smooth blade.

While we're at it, and good ideas for the Wing used in wingfoiling when it's not used on a foil??
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 06:11:21 AM »
upshot--glue removal is a bear--about patience--slathered the nasty stickem with googone (gloved up) and covered with saran wrap for 90 mins--scraped with a plastic spackle knife--re applied goo gone/saran twice (3 passes)--got the board perfectly clean.

unfortunately i was a dope and neglected to see that the OAM pad is pretty thin (not wide enough for a typical sup) before ordering--it is not like a Blur pad--similar cut but much less wide and longer than the pad on any blur or rnb---maybe for a skinny LB shape--real skinny!---thought to return, but figured out a way to shorten the pad, and use leftover strips to widen the pad underfoot--net, the pad is excellent, and i did a decent (not perfect job) job rigging up the wider setup---so it looks ok too

but really? 150 bux for a blur pad, that's only 19" wide at mid-section--and not appropriately wide at the tail either--that requires a bunch of cutting and layout? not the best deal, by me--but my own damned fault for not reading the specs carefully before ordering

but the pad is great--ill send pics soon

mighta tried this, had i known:

https://genration.com/collections/accessories/products/modular-deck-pad-tail-pad

--i had hoped the OAM pad would be plug and play--live and learn--pad works well so ok in the end
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:16:13 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 12:55:37 PM »
How wide is your Portal?  I did find that my OAM pad was narrower than my Laird Surrator pad but given that I use a semi surf stance, my feet never make it out to the widest points of the pad anyway so it didn't matter.  The board I put it on is 8'10x29.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 06:38:20 AM »
measures to just under 29"

with my piecemeal setup i went much closer to the rail than the stock-cut blur pad would cover--and my back foot, when on or near the stomp, often touches the rail, as i move it from side to side while turning (certainly frontside)--want pad out there---and when i compared to my other boards, the cover to the rail of the blur pad came up quite short--good news is i am very pleased with the result, and my own damned fault i didnt read and think about (duh) the specs that are clearly shown on the oam site

it is, however, obvious that the pads that come with the blurs are cut much wider--so it's a bit of a misnomer--this pad would only compare to those provided on super short, skinny infinity boards--and then youd be cutting off half of the length!

knowing what i had to do to get the pad right, i'd prolly still buy it

oam shd size them max width--much easier to trim down, than to add in a center strip

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 06:43:04 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 01:22:03 PM »
seems to me the SUP pad market needs some mor competition. not a lot of value for price

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 05:47:27 PM »
Eastie. i actually found the OAM pad TOO grippy.   totally personal preference but really had to make small adjustments with booties on. (Which is us 7 months of the year)

hope it works for you...but my favorite of all time is the FCS Dimple Roll.  found it works with 6mm, 3mm and barefoot all the same.

about to pull a pad on a custom (used i bought) and put that on over the winter.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 07:41:44 PM »
It looks pretty though  :P
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile