Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 402936 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #1095 on: September 14, 2021, 03:09:11 PM »
Looks like I’ll be visiting califoilia soon then.

I have heard it surfs well from a prone surfer. Gotta be funny looking to see it twice as wide as the board. I love the idea of zero drag. It looks like it cuts so clean.
Looking forward to seeing you again cowboy! Yeah, stoked to get it in the surf tmrw (getting caught up with stuff at home after the long trip, and drive...phew!). Just not sure if the 5-6' surf we're getting this week is going to be the best conditions to try it out for the first time. 😜😧😄

Not too worried about the length, because I've had fun in the surf on ones close to the same size on either side of the 999 (980 and 1050)...should be super fun if it's half as good in the surf as it is with the wing, and DWing. 🤞🏽
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: September 14, 2021, 05:30:29 PM »

Looking forward to seeing you again cowboy! Yeah, stoked to get it in the surf tmrw (getting caught up with stuff at home after the long trip, and drive...phew!). Just not sure if the 5-6' surf we're getting this week is going to be the best conditions to try it out for the first time. 😜😧😄

Not too worried about the length, because I've had fun in the surf on ones close to the same size on either side of the 999 (980 and 1050)...should be super fun if it's half as good in the surf as it is with the wing, and DWing. 🤞🏽

I am dying to get a ride report for the 999 on a SUP... please keep us posted!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1097 on: September 18, 2021, 04:50:42 PM »

I am dying to get a ride report for the 999 on a SUP... please keep us posted!
Initial review and video here....

Will do some additional experimenting with tails, possibly even mast placement, and report back if we find some remarkable difference.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: September 18, 2021, 07:19:33 PM »
Thanks!  Sounds like it may be game changing for winging and downwind but maybe not in the surf.  You running crazy short?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: September 19, 2021, 09:48:50 PM »
Actually, I can't wait to try it in the surf.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #1100 on: October 08, 2021, 09:16:48 AM »
Kane was on the latest podcast and had a few insights worth noting.

He talked about how front wings mounted more forward of the mast, like Axis, require lower drag tails.

A brand with front wing close to the mast, needs more tail shimming, or bigger tails, or more asymmetric (higher lifting) foil sections.

So I guess theoretically, there is more speed potential the Axis way.

He also pointed out “mast” length affects tail size and shimming. A 96cm mast needs more tail to prevent riding nose low. I have noticed this, but did not put two and two together. So happy he mentioned it.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1101 on: October 09, 2021, 05:26:13 PM »
Having the mast well aft of the front wing connecting further back on the fuselage helps foils go upwind much better too.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1102 on: October 17, 2021, 10:34:22 AM »
First session on the HPS 1050/ 420 tail short fuse.
Weight 155 lbs
Started at 10-15 kts 6 M wing
Easily gets up on foil when you realize this foil prefers less aggressive pumping.  Small pumps while keeping the angle of attack pretty flat.  This may have more to do with my straight tail board.  Once up, the glide and low wind performance is very nice.  Pumping through lulls is extremely easy. In higher gusts it accelerates quickly.  Holds its speed, even when going slow, through tacks.  Makes high speed tacks an entirely new experience for me.  There is so much maintained speed when carving into the wind that I felt as though I could take my time and not have to immediately reach for that back handle. The entire 180 degrees is covered while gliding on the foil alone and you end up traveling slightly down wind before you ever need to power up the wing.  A first for me, having only used my own homemade foils that have a bit more form drag.  Also a first, flagging out the wing and covering more than a 100 yds of just pure pump and glide on some very small lake waves. Makes me excited to see what it’ll do when SUP foiling it.

Same day
20-25 kts 4 M wing
Shit just got better! So, so fast and controllable.  With the smaller wing, tacks were the easiest I’ve ever done. With more speed came more glide into the wind.  So much extra time to get the job done and that extra time is spent marveling at how effortless the carve is.  Only a few times did I feel the foil get locked into a carve and feel it was my own fault for over carving. Most times it just rolled easily from side to side. Pitch control was a little more tenuous but it did not take very long to become accustomed to it.  Having the 420 tail gave me a ride very similar to my own rigs.
Another really cool observation is when turning downwind to begin a carving 360, the speed of this foil made matching wind speed( 20 kts) quick and easy. I find that once wind speed is matched, I can more easily invert the wing to finish the maneuver.  If the backwinded bite doesn’t throw you it’s off and away.

Jibes were effortless since the foil has both great high end speed as well as low end hang.  I really didn’t need to power up as near as often as I am used to.  Jumping? I still have to work on my timing but the speed is certainly there and having that speed carry so well to windward, I think it’ll just be a matter of time before that becomes routine. 
Overall assessment-
  GREAT!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1103 on: October 27, 2021, 10:37:43 AM »
 A 96cm mast needs more tail to prevent riding nose low. I have noticed this, but did not put two and two together. So happy he mentioned it.
More tail what?  Lift the rear of the tail stab or the leading edge of the stab?  please clarify.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #1104 on: October 27, 2021, 10:43:17 AM »
 A 96cm mast needs more tail to prevent riding nose low. I have noticed this, but did not put two and two together. So happy he mentioned it.
More tail what?  Lift the rear of the tail stab or the leading edge of the stab?  please clarify.

He discovered a tall mast has the same affect over the tail as changing fuselage length. Taller mast needs bigger tail or shimming to greater AOA. He was surprised not only by the need to shim it, but by big amount of shimming needed to rebalance forces.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1105 on: October 27, 2021, 11:43:32 AM »

He discovered a tall mast has the same affect over the tail as changing fuselage length. Taller mast needs bigger tail or shimming to greater AOA. He was surprised not only by the need to shim it, but by big amount of shimming needed to rebalance forces.
Thanks "greater angle of attack" answers my question, which I assume means the tail of the rear wing gets lifted.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 11:59:27 AM by headmount »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #1106 on: October 27, 2021, 12:26:17 PM »
Thanks "greater angle of attack" answers my question, which I assume means the tail of the rear wing gets lifted.

Correct

Mario_Wings

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1107 on: October 27, 2021, 01:22:37 PM »

so does that mean that the shorter fuse will need the same change to the stab as the longer mast?

Alysum

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: October 27, 2021, 01:45:00 PM »
Interesting insight from Kane.

The main downsize of the front wing being further in front of the mast is that they don't carve as well, which is a well known characteristic with axis foils.

If you look at Sabfoil/Moses with the race wing w1000 it is pretty much right on the front wing. I assume it carves better but requires a bigger tail. Gunnar always uses the S400 rear wing on that set-up. So it checks out.

Has anyone managed to compare the Sabfoil w1000 with the ART999? Very interested to hear the differences to better understand the designs.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:46:35 PM by Alysum »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #1109 on: October 27, 2021, 02:48:06 PM »

The main downsize of the front wing being further in front of the mast is that they don't carve as well, which is a well known characteristic with axis foils.

Carve? I disagree. Axis carves better. Closer to the mast tail slides better. I prefer turns that carve over tail sliding.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal