Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403234 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #1050 on: August 15, 2021, 03:46:41 PM »
I was curious, what front foil were you running before? Was the 890 a big size drop for you? I exchanged email with Axis this week because I was looking for a new foil for prone surf and towing. I was looking at either the 860SP or the 890BSC. I went with the 890 because I thought it would be a better "one foil quiver" for what I want to do. Slightly concerned about dropping sizes so much, but I have been on a buddies GL 180 before without issue. The GL180 and 890 have similar specs in the google spreadsheet, and the folks on this board seem to love the black series. Time to see what the hype is about. :-)
You made a great choice IMO. The 890/420/crazy short is my "go to" setup on a sup, for most every day when it's between knee high and head high. Although on a prone board, you may prefer the 380 which I really liked on the sup as well...just found that the 420 really stepped up the pumping game on a bigger board.

Great lift and control for easy entry into the wave, and then once on flying, it hooks up incredibly for super tight and crisp turns, and then it pumps as well as pretty much anything I've been on. Several proners have borrowed it, and I think all but one that I can think of...went out and bought their own.

I'm a big fan of the crazy short fuse in the surf with just about any wing I ride out there, so if you've not tried one yet, you might want to see if you can find one to borrow, and see what you think. Those same guys that rode the 890 and bought it, all but one of them bought the crazy short also.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

grizzlyChadams

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1051 on: August 15, 2021, 07:52:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies Mike and Califoilia. I wound up going with the ultra short fuse. The new one hasn't shipped yet, but when it does, I'm sure I'll be chasing the FedEx or UPS truck. :-)

Chad
Fanatic Sky Wing 5'4"/ Axis 1150 PNG / 82cm Mast / Short Fuse / 460 HA Stab / F-one Swing 5.0M

EastBayFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1052 on: August 16, 2021, 07:21:02 PM »
I run BSC 1060/390 with Short Fuse/75 Mast at 170 lb's.

My most recent session was in gusty - 18 to 28mph - conditions and started on Ensis 5.2 and dropped to my 3.5.  No issues with breaching and I run the mast with good bias to the front of the track.

Life long windsurfer so I am proficient at sail (wing) trim when powered or OP.  This helps I am sure.

Well figured out most of it for the moment. Moved the mast to the lift/board balance point, my 4.2 wing showed up, and I got a bit better in the interim. I still need either a smaller wing or a smaller foil eventually ... but those are questions for next month's pay check :P
AK Phazer 90L, Axis 1060BSC/440

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 18, 2021, 04:43:57 AM »
I was curious, what front foil were you running before? Was the 890 a big size drop for you? I exchanged email with Axis this week because I was looking for a new foil for prone surf and towing. I was looking at either the 860SP or the 890BSC. I went with the 890 because I thought it would be a better "one foil quiver" for what I want to do. Slightly concerned about dropping sizes so much, but I have been on a buddies GL 180 before without issue. The GL180 and 890 have similar specs in the google spreadsheet, and the folks on this board seem to love the black series. Time to see what the hype is about. :-)
You made a great choice IMO. The 890/420/crazy short is my "go to" setup on a sup, for most every day when it's between knee high and head high. Although on a prone board, you may prefer the 380 which I really liked on the sup as well...just found that the 420 really stepped up the pumping game on a bigger board.

Great lift and control for easy entry into the wave, and then once on flying, it hooks up incredibly for super tight and crisp turns, and then it pumps as well as pretty much anything I've been on. Several proners have borrowed it, and I think all but one that I can think of...went out and bought their own.

I'm a big fan of the crazy short fuse in the surf with just about any wing I ride out there, so if you've not tried one yet, you might want to see if you can find one to borrow, and see what you think. Those same guys that rode the 890 and bought it, all but one of them bought the crazy short also.

This is good news just pulled the trigger myself on the 890 BSC to replace my old 860 which is a good wing in its own right for supfoil,and winging high winds,but time for a little change up,should be interesting with black fuse!Im a big fan of the BSC series winging with my 1120 and especially the 1060 so I will be using the 890 for higher winds and daily driver supfoiling.Califoilia by any chance have you tried the 860 was wondering any comparison with the 890 supfoiling? And any other riders out there that might have winged the 860 vs 890 I’m a HW rider 225lb so my old 860 was a great high wind winging wing and a great supfoil wing for me in waist to head high plus surf,just wondering what I might expect from new 890 in both disciplines,Also got the 980 HS coming too for flatter winging days pick up some speed to compliment my 1060 on small surf days as thank it’s going to be hard to beat the 1060 winging in waves,but perhaps the 980 will surprise me,will see
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1054 on: August 18, 2021, 02:56:59 PM »
Califoilia by any chance have you tried the 860 was wondering any comparison with the 890 supfoiling? And any other riders out there that might have winged the 860 vs 890 I’m a HW rider 225lb so my old 860 was a great high wind winging wing and a great supfoil wing for me in waist to head high plus surf,just wondering what I might expect from new 890 in both disciplines,Also got the 980 HS coming too for flatter winging days pick up some speed to compliment my 1060 on small surf days as thank it’s going to be hard to beat the 1060 winging in waves,but perhaps the 980 will surprise me,will see
Yes, I've ridden both, and both are great wings for what they're designed for. The 860 has a slight edge over the 890 when it comes to snapping turns, and quick transitions from hitting the whitewater to turn back right back up to the opposite peak w/o projecting you out too far down the line (the "quick transitions" part).

The 890 has the edge over the 860 when it comes to pumping, but still is super turny/snappy, and really pretty close to the 860 in the actual turn itself, but being thinner on the black fuse, it is faster and you'll end up down the line a bit further before being able to reel in it in again, to get back to the top to throw it over and snap it back the other direction again.

Disclaimer: I ride the 890 and all of the "smaller" wings now with the crazy short fuse, which I haven't tried with the 860 yet, which I last rode several months ago with the ultra short, and haven't been back on it since I've discovered how much I love surfing the CS fuse...so there is that when reading the above comparison turning and pump wise.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 18, 2021, 06:10:13 PM »
Thanks Cali nice comparison should be interesting.Sounds like edge will go to the 890 in the winging dept for sure.Always good to try new stuff pretty happy with my other BSC wings winging so this will be my first BSC wing with black fuse looking forward to trying it out.Maybe for supfoiling can always slow it down tad in waves with slower rear say 440 vs 420 my usual rear wing if it seems to fast,hopefully it will hold good on cutbacks not breaching too easy as I like to lay my 225lbs into nice round cutties on my 860 it’s great for that.Think it will be a good dual purpose wing,I will have to get a smaller fuse down the line as starting in black fuse with short as that’s what I’ve been using for last year on Axis,but certainly got me thinking that’s next! Never ends endless quest for foil nirvana more $$
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Kojack

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1056 on: August 24, 2021, 05:19:50 PM »
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of forward guidance.  I am a bit of a planner.  I am 6'3" 195 in my 50s was an accomplished windsurfer in the 80s.  Also a snowboarder, surfer and stand up surfer but have a job that keeps me from enjoying the water a ton.  Fortunately just got into foiling-mostly wing 90% and it is something I can actually do a lot more of where I live.  I am now about 12 days in-riding on foil both ways all of the time and can get and stay up wind now but always heel side.  Gybing=falling make a few but generally go down.  I am riding a 1060 front 440 rear on the aluminum 75 cm mast.  I rode the old 860 front that a friend who is an Axis dealer lent me for my most recent vacation when it was windier.  I am thinking about the black series and an 890 as the next step but curious if there are other options to consider.  I did shim my rear and that made things better with both the 1060 sand 860.  I am at that stage where I already feel like I can be on a smaller board and am making progress with expanding my wing range-I can now ride a smaller wing when it is windy but also deal with being a bit overpowered.  that said, I dont want to struggle with going way in front of my ability and not having fun and getting frustrated.  Guidance is appreciated.  I am riding an Armstrong 5'11" 115 liter board-feels big now but where i will be sailing is mostly lighter wind vs where I was riding.  Thanks all.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #1057 on: August 25, 2021, 04:06:42 AM »
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of forward guidance.  I am a bit of a planner.  I am 6'3" 195 in my 50s was an accomplished windsurfer in the 80s.  Also a snowboarder, surfer and stand up surfer but have a job that keeps me from enjoying the water a ton.  Fortunately just got into foiling-mostly wing 90% and it is something I can actually do a lot more of where I live.  I am now about 12 days in-riding on foil both ways all of the time and can get and stay up wind now but always heel side.  Gybing=falling make a few but generally go down.  I am riding a 1060 front 440 rear on the aluminum 75 cm mast.  I rode the old 860 front that a friend who is an Axis dealer lent me for my most recent vacation when it was windier.  I am thinking about the black series and an 890 as the next step but curious if there are other options to consider.  I did shim my rear and that made things better with both the 1060 sand 860.  I am at that stage where I already feel like I can be on a smaller board and am making progress with expanding my wing range-I can now ride a smaller wing when it is windy but also deal with being a bit overpowered.  that said, I dont want to struggle with going way in front of my ability and not having fun and getting frustrated.  Guidance is appreciated.  I am riding an Armstrong 5'11" 115 liter board-feels big now but where i will be sailing is mostly lighter wind vs where I was riding.  Thanks all.

Silence! I guess I’ll answer. Wait until you can ride comfortably either foot forward and switch feet before advancing to other foils. You’re on the best foil for learning those skills.

Kojack

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1058 on: August 25, 2021, 08:24:39 AM »
Thanks Dwight.  Will follow your guidance!  Happy to get the validation that I am on the right gear. 

grizzlyChadams

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1059 on: September 02, 2021, 05:43:09 PM »
Thanks Cali nice comparison should be interesting.Sounds like edge will go to the 890 in the winging dept for sure.Always good to try new stuff pretty happy with my other BSC wings winging so this will be my first BSC wing with black fuse looking forward to trying it out.Maybe for supfoiling can always slow it down tad in waves with slower rear say 440 vs 420 my usual rear wing if it seems to fast,hopefully it will hold good on cutbacks not breaching too easy as I like to lay my 225lbs into nice round cutties on my 860 it’s great for that.Think it will be a good dual purpose wing,I will have to get a smaller fuse down the line as starting in black fuse with short as that’s what I’ve been using for last year on Axis,but certainly got me thinking that’s next! Never ends endless quest for foil nirvana more $$

I've had a chance to play with the 890 for a bit. Super fun wing, and I may have converted a dedicated Gofoiler.  ;D

Sorry in advance for the massive post. I'm using the 890 with an ultrashort fuse, 82cm mast and either a 400 regular or 460 HA rear stab.

First session, we towed behind a ski on the lake and compared the 890 with 1150. Both are stable, but the 890 feels more stable side to side. I hadn't really noticed this when winging the 1150, but when towing, it felt like I had loose hardware. After checking, we kind of felt like it was inherent to the wing. Not sure what that's all about. The 890 is way faster. I wanted to see what the max speed was, and topped out at ~28mph before the inevitable. The crash was spectacular, and I can share video if anyone is interested.  :o

Second session, I took it winging on the lake in somewhat gusty conditions. I started with the 400 tail, and had fun. Fast, easy to go upwind, no problem pumping up to get on foil. Swapped for the 460 tail, and started going much faster. Better glide through the lulls, and super fun turns.

Third session, we took it out Tuesday for a tow foil session in 4-6ft swell. Wow. The session wound up being kind of short, but so much fun. The 890 is so stable and fast. Easy to pump with the 400 tail. Amazing to be on a 5 foot rolling magic carpet ride for a hundred yards.

Fourth session, I took it out yesterday in 3-5ft swell with gusty winds. Tough getting out and funky ocean, so I didn't stay out long. I think the 1150 would have been a better choice, because I had a trouble pumping and getting on foil. Still had a ton of fun and looking forward to the long weekend.

Thanks Cali, Paddlur and daswasup. Super stoked on the 890.
Fanatic Sky Wing 5'4"/ Axis 1150 PNG / 82cm Mast / Short Fuse / 460 HA Stab / F-one Swing 5.0M

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1060 on: September 03, 2021, 11:30:31 AM »
Nice one Grizzly! I'm stoked for you and your 890. I just figured out what to do with my 460. Chopped it to a 400. I will report back after trying. Hopefully this will loosen up the roll.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: September 03, 2021, 12:04:14 PM »
FYI anyone who enjoys the 810, the new 740 is even better! Winged it yesterday in marginal waves, and it easily outperformed expectations.  Can't wait to get this onto some real waves. It still has plenty of lift to get up on foil, feels fast, and turns like crazy. 

ultrashort, kane tail

Mario_Wings

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1062 on: September 03, 2021, 03:00:47 PM »

I have only tried one Axis setup . . . the 890BSC with 370 stab, ultra short fuse and 96 mast and have to say that I was quite impressed by the smooth ride, ease of getting up on the foil and how well it carved and rode  wind swell. Hope to try a HPS wing soon.

Yesterday, a friend said that he had heard there is to be a new line of wings coming out from Axis? Any knowledge of this Dwight?

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1063 on: September 03, 2021, 03:33:50 PM »
AWSI next week. Axis will have stuff there and more info to come.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #1064 on: September 03, 2021, 04:05:19 PM »

Yesterday, a friend said that he had heard there is to be a new line of wings coming out from Axis? Any knowledge of this Dwight?

Embargo until September 7th.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal