Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403177 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #1035 on: August 09, 2021, 06:57:19 PM »
Bigmtn has the answer, and it's easy to try. Put a thin washer as a test shim on the front stabilizer screw between the stabilizer and fuselage. Try it out. You'll find you have to go a bit faster to get up, but you'll have less front foot pressure and can move your foot back. Less porpoising and less breaching. I have my foils shimmed to the point that my front foot is at the handle.

I think Axis makes their stabilizer to wing incidence angle fairly extreme--like 5+ degrees with some combinations of wing and stabilizer. I assume they do that to make it easier for beginners to get up and foiling, but when you start going faster it's just too much. I use 2-3 degrees. You can search the zone for posts on incidence angle that show how to measure and set this. The high incidence angle is particularly problematic with high aspect wings that need to be flown flat off the surface--popping them up with AOA just makes them stall and slam back down.

I also just the wizard hat shim plates and bolts. That won't really fix your breaching issue, but it lets the board ride parallel to the water instead of nose-high as any board with tail rocker will tend to ride. You can visually set this up--just add plates until the fuselage is parallel to the middle of the board. Newer flat-bottomed wing boards don't need this.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

EastBayFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1036 on: August 09, 2021, 07:15:41 PM »
Thanks everyone. I missed bigmtn's post. Having a resource like this is great. I watched all the videos trying to figure this out, and this is so much more useful. I'll post the results, when I'm done messing my foils.
AK Phazer 90L, Axis 1060BSC/440

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 10, 2021, 02:36:10 AM »
Bigmtn has the answer, and it's easy to try. Put a thin washer as a test shim on the front stabilizer screw between the stabilizer and fuselage. Try it out. You'll find you have to go a bit faster to get up, but you'll have less front foot pressure and can move your foot back. Less porpoising and less breaching. I have my foils shimmed to the point that my front foot is at the handle.

I think Axis makes their stabilizer to wing incidence angle fairly extreme--like 5+ degrees with some combinations of wing and stabilizer. I assume they do that to make it easier for beginners to get up and foiling, but when you start going faster it's just too much. I use 2-3 degrees. You can search the zone for posts on incidence angle that show how to measure and set this. The high incidence angle is particularly problematic with high aspect wings that need to be flown flat off the surface--popping them up with AOA just makes them stall and slam back down.

I have problems with porpoising and a hard to control foil when starting to fly when I am fully powered up with my wing, especially with the HPS foils.
It is stupid that Axis only provides the +1 Degree Rear Wing Shim in the screw set and not the -1 Degree Rear Wing Shim

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 10, 2021, 02:37:58 AM »
Thanks everyone. I missed bigmtn's post. Having a resource like this is great. I watched all the videos trying to figure this out, and this is so much more useful. I'll post the results, when I'm done messing my foils.

So answer his question: what rear did you use?

Foilgeoff

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: August 10, 2021, 03:03:34 AM »
I had the same problem with my Naish 135 litre 5-7 inflatable. I couldn’t get myself far enough forward to stop the front coming up to smack me in the face. Absolutely terrifying for a beginner!
My setup is 87kg, 82cm mast, 1020 foil, mast right at the back of the tracks.
I tried shimming with up to 3 washers on the front screw but it didn’t help that much.
What REALLY did the trick was drilling out the threads on the forward-most of the rear mast base holes, and using 35mm (?) M8 bolts rather than the 30mm ones.
 This gained me about an inch more rearward adjustment. The foil came up much easier without any shim washers but the addition of 3 shim-washers made it come up smooth and gorgeous.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #1040 on: August 10, 2021, 03:34:14 AM »
My wife at 116 lbs is riding exactly what you ride. 1060/440 to learn tacks. No issue what so ever.

It’s nothing more complicated than understanding wind range. 25 knots with a 5m….no way for most people. Sure you can shim the shit out of the stab, or put a tiny stab on it and get more upper end, but all at the expense of low end.

Take a 4m and ride slower and in control. Get a smaller front wing or stab. Be prepared to make changes suitable for the conditions of each day.

Newbies want one foil and one wing for all winds. It doesn’t work that way.

blockidog

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: August 10, 2021, 04:55:53 AM »
I run BSC 1060/390 with Short Fuse/75 Mast at 170 lb's.

My most recent session was in gusty - 18 to 28mph - conditions and started on Ensis 5.2 and dropped to my 3.5.  No issues with breaching and I run the mast with good bias to the front of the track.

Life long windsurfer so I am proficient at sail (wing) trim when powered or OP.  This helps I am sure.
Current:
 SUPSurf Machine 5'/93L FoilBoard
 Axis HPS1050, ART999, BSC1060, PNG1150     
 Ensis 5.2 & 3.5
 Sunova Speed 8'2"
 PSH 10'0" Hand Glassed Pulled Nose/Swallow Tail
 SIC 12'6" Bullet SCC
Prior:
 Axis 1010
 Coreban 8'0" VIBE
 PSH 8'9" Hull Ripper Carbon
 Hobie 9'4" CM Raw

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: August 10, 2021, 05:31:26 AM »
I've still only had one windy session with the 1060/440 and 5m Duo Unit. It was blowing 15 to 20, maybe 25, and I was surprised how easily the board came out of the water. The problem that day seemed to be that I was getting way too much lift which I attributed to having the mast too far forward. Feeling all that lift made me wonder why so many videos show people furiously pumping their wings to get up on foil. It did seem a bit windy for the 5m wing and felt like I had more power than I needed. I immediately started thinking about getting a smaller wing. I have windsurfing and sailing experience so at least I have that going for me

All this talk about shimming and wing incidence is a bit complicated to a beginner.  Hopefully, I'll be able to learn to foil without messing with the wing angles.

I just acquired a small boat for towing. That should dramatically speed up my learning and allow me to practice on these windless days.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

EastBayFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1043 on: August 10, 2021, 06:53:11 AM »

So answer his question: what rear did you use?
440, it's also listed in my sig.
AK Phazer 90L, Axis 1060BSC/440

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: August 10, 2021, 07:41:02 AM »
440, it's also listed in my sig.

Ahhh  I missed that.
Most signatures are outdated so I sort of ignore them....

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: August 10, 2021, 10:21:14 AM »
Whilst talking stabilisers, I put the 420 on my 910 instead of my usual 390 today. What a difference, more speed and glide, similar turning but less lift. Had rear leg burn instead of my usual neutral legs. Think I’ll try moving the mast forward a smidge.

Mike

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: August 15, 2021, 07:53:18 AM »
Took Dawasup advice and got the 890. Had first session today with my 420. Great foil, faster and better in every way, also great bottom end. Lots to learn on it, but really pleased with my change.

Mike

grizzlyChadams

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1047 on: August 15, 2021, 10:45:26 AM »
Took Dawasup advice and got the 890. Had first session today with my 420. Great foil, faster and better in every way, also great bottom end. Lots to learn on it, but really pleased with my change.

Mike

Hey Mike,
I was curious, what front foil were you running before? Was the 890 a big size drop for you? I exchanged email with Axis this week because I was looking for a new foil for prone surf and towing. I was looking at either the 860SP or the 890BSC. I went with the 890 because I thought it would be a better "one foil quiver" for what I want to do. Slightly concerned about dropping sizes so much, but I have been on a buddies GL 180 before without issue. The GL180 and 890 have similar specs in the google spreadsheet, and the folks on this board seem to love the black series. Time to see what the hype is about. :-)

Thanks,
Chad
Fanatic Sky Wing 5'4"/ Axis 1150 PNG / 82cm Mast / Short Fuse / 460 HA Stab / F-one Swing 5.0M

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 15, 2021, 01:07:28 PM »
I had the 1060 and 910 but really only used the 910. I’m 77kg and found I could manage on the 910 from light to strong wind, but wanted something a bit extra.

The 890/420 combo is fast but also a good crawl speed. It turns really well.

The wind today was up and down on my 3.5m and I had no trouble pumping onto the foil in the lulls but also felt very comfortable when I was overpowered and going fast.

Mike

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1049 on: August 15, 2021, 02:26:20 PM »
Yeah Mike! Stoked that you are on the 890! I am frothing so hard on this wing. I have only run it with the 380 stab but am interested now to see how my 460 feels on it. Or maybe even dust off the 390. You will probably need to go ahead and get a 980 to go with it for your haul ass wing. And a 1050........ And a secret foil buying credit card that your wife doesn't see. I launder all my illegal purchases through my business. Drives my accountant crazy. Better him than her. There's a whole new thread here. Send it!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal