Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403228 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #975 on: May 19, 2021, 08:36:32 PM »
Further to that, do you prefer the 810 over the compromable HPS series wings?
Right at the moment I do, but I've not thrown the 880 back on the new shimmed mast setup yet, so the jury's still kind of out on that until I'm able to test that out.

And just as a disclaimer to all of this being said since we're in the "wing foiling" section....all of that is wrt them in the surf w/o a wing, since I don't wingding, and don't plan on it. When the it gets windy, I get going to find something else to do that's out of it.🤷‍♂️

Have you managed to get out on the 880 for comparison sake yet?
Sorry for the late reply, just saw it now... :-[

But to answer your question, no I have not. Partly because the 880 has been loaned out until recently...and I'm having so much fun on the 810. :P ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 20, 2021, 10:22:19 AM »
Further to that, do you prefer the 810 over the compromable HPS series wings?
Right at the moment I do, but I've not thrown the 880 back on the new shimmed mast setup yet, so the jury's still kind of out on that until I'm able to test that out.

And just as a disclaimer to all of this being said since we're in the "wing foiling" section....all of that is wrt them in the surf w/o a wing, since I don't wingding, and don't plan on it. When the it gets windy, I get going to find something else to do that's out of it.🤷‍♂️

Have you managed to get out on the 880 for comparison sake yet?
Sorry for the late reply, just saw it now... :-[

But to answer your question, no I have not. Partly because the 880 has been loaned out until recently...and I'm having so much fun on the 810. :P ;D

So what kind of size or wind does the 810 need?

dylbert_

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 21, 2021, 10:00:42 AM »
Ive been winging the 810 in over 16kts, and prone foiling it from waist high, up to head high.

In my opinion, its a super versatile foil.  Super fun on both the wing and surfing, and it seems like I can pump it for as long as I want. one of my favorites in the axis range.

I weigh around 77kg.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #978 on: May 21, 2021, 11:51:03 AM »
I don't wing foil (yet...but that might be changing 🤦‍♂️🤫😂), but I have had it in thigh high surf, and it lifted off just fine, and was enough energy to make it super fun, and plenty playful up, down, and around the wave. BUT...I did add a shim under the back bolt to get just a little out-of-the-hole lift to get it to "Ollie" up a lot better.

However, with the shim on it in waist high and above stuff, I did find that it slowed it down noticeably, which didn't made it feel as though I wasn't on rails as much in the turns as before. Still turned fine, but I kind of like the feel of the "G's" pulling/pushing in the turns. One last thing....

The 810 also doesn't mind a wing tip coming out of the water...

I completed that turn, and never know that tip came out, until the guy whose wife took the pictures came up to me on the beach and showed it to me. 🤷‍♂️👍

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 11:54:17 AM by Califoilia »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 23, 2021, 06:01:36 PM »
I don't wing foil (yet...but that might be changing 🤦‍♂️🤫😂), but I have had it in thigh high surf, and it lifted off just fine, and was enough energy to make it super fun, and plenty playful up, down, and around the wave. BUT...I did add a shim under the back bolt to get just a little out-of-the-hole lift to get it to "Ollie" up a lot better.

However, with the shim on it in waist high and above stuff, I did find that it slowed it down noticeably, which didn't made it feel as though I wasn't on rails as much in the turns as before. Still turned fine, but I kind of like the feel of the "G's" pulling/pushing in the turns. One last thing....

The 810 also doesn't mind a wing tip coming out of the water...

I completed that turn, and never know that tip came out, until the guy whose wife took the pictures came up to me on the beach and showed it to me. 🤷‍♂️👍

Ok so no 880 comparison yet. How about  810 versus the classic 900 w an ultra short?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #980 on: May 24, 2021, 04:29:19 PM »
Ok so no 880 comparison yet. How about  810 versus the classic 900 w an ultra short?
So per your request, I unbolted the 810, and bolted on the 880...still w/the 380 tail, crazy short fuse, and 76cm v2 carbon mast.

It was waist to chest high with a little more wind then I'd liked, and just before the high tide, so it was pretty mixed up and sloppy out there, but after the first couple of takeoffs that I had to finally remember that the 880 doesn't lift off the water the same as the 810 (needs speed down the face to lift vs being able to "ollie" up the lower AR 810), it turned out to be a really fun day...just different.

The 880 is definitely faster, and as such, the turns were eye-watering, but very controllable, even to the point that I was able to bank it off the whitewater quickly, and it was stable throughout the turn...which it did surprisingly quickly. Now not as quick or snapping as the 810, and it was way more pitch sensitive, so you have to be nimble with your legs to let it pull up, and then push it back down quickly so that it to regain speed so it doesn't stall suddenly. The 810 just lifts out of that kind of turn quicker, and more controllably.

Probably the most notable difference is the ease in which it pumps. It's so fast, that I actually had to let to slow a tad once going over the wave, let it glide a bit (as it continues to lift some), and then push it back over slightly, and then let if come back up immediately. Doing this, I was able to pump out easier, and far further than I could come close to do with the 810...and I actually ran out of stamina more so than the wing running out of lift and glide.

Final verdict: While I was out there, I kept thinking, "Thanks Vancouver_foiler, now I don't know which setup I like better". Both are super fun, but completely different. The 880 is super fast, doesn't get into waves as easily, pumps great, and turns very well; just differently, and not as tight. Where the 810 pops up into waves super easy, turns like it's on rails, but really doesn't have the "actual area" (1070 cm2) to make it pump that great.

Hope that helps. 🤷‍♂️😁

rfhestdalen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Axis Foils--2nd foil selection
« Reply #981 on: May 27, 2021, 11:32:11 PM »
I have recently purchased the new 1120 BSC axis foil to start wing-foiling.  Been out 4 times in light to moderate winds and I am starting to get comfortable on foil with pretty long foil rides.  Its awesome and way better than behind the boat!  I'm 6'6", 215# and the 1120 has been a dream to ride.  Very smooth, doesn't breach, and turns easy.  However, I am a little concerned using the 1120 in high wind conditions this summer in the gorge, as it may be too much foil even for my weight. 

What would your recommendations be as I move into higher wind/wave conditions like the gorge?  I have been rec the 1050 HPS by axis and others have said no way, its much too advanced at my stage, requires lots of speed to foil, etc.  I have thought about the 970 BSC, a smaller more nimble version of 1120.  Would strongly consider the 1010 PNG, but apparently there is no more inventory for the rest of the year in the USA.  1150 on a crazy short fuselage?  Thought about the 910 or 860 but I think given my weight and beginner stage, I need an area around 1500 sq cm. 

Appreciate your thoughts on this. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #982 on: May 28, 2021, 04:29:17 AM »
…… a dream to ride.  Very smooth, doesn't breach, and turns easy. 

The dream will continue if you stay within the same family (BSC).

I did let a guy about your skill level try the HPS. He failed. Didn’t get it. Wait until you’re so good, you know what you want next.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #983 on: May 28, 2021, 07:03:29 AM »

What would your recommendations be as I move into higher wind/wave conditions like the gorge?  I have been rec the 1050 HPS by axis and others have said no way, its much too advanced at my stage, requires lots of speed to foil, etc.  I have thought about the 970 BSC, a smaller more nimble version of 1120.  Would strongly consider the 1010 PNG, but apparently there is no more inventory for the rest of the year in the USA.  1150 on a crazy short fuselage?  Thought about the 910 or 860 but I think given my weight and beginner stage, I need an area around 1500 sq cm. 

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

I would stick with a smaller BSC.  As far as the Gorge, you can find whatever conditions you want or are comfortable with so there is no ideal Gorge foil.  Even at a site like Swell City on a big day, half the river is pretty flat while the other half has good swell.  Yesterday, we had a big East Gorge day.  I was ok on the 910 using a 2 meter wing at 70kg.  My friend was on HPS 700?  I will try to post a video so you can see what you have to look forward to.

rfhestdalen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #984 on: May 28, 2021, 08:11:27 AM »
Does the 970 BSC have a higher top-end speed than the 1120?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #985 on: May 28, 2021, 08:30:53 AM »
Does the 970 BSC have a higher top-end speed than the 1120?

Yes, smaller wings are always faster, within the same “family” of wings. Less drag.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #986 on: May 29, 2021, 05:33:19 PM »
Dear Axis elders,
I just got my carbon 860 mast and realize  the long screws from alum mast don’t cross over to carbon mast with shorter pockets.  The other ones I have seem to fit but are they long enough? I think they are just the red series front wing screws. I don’t have my metric tape here but the threads seem about 1”ish. Thanks

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #987 on: May 29, 2021, 06:15:50 PM »
Dear Axis elders,
I just got my carbon 860 mast and realize  the long screws from alum mast don’t cross over to carbon mast with shorter pockets.  The other ones I have seem to fit but are they long enough? I think they are just the red series front wing screws. I don’t have my metric tape here but the threads seem about 1”ish. Thanks

It uses M8 x 30 screws

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #988 on: May 30, 2021, 03:44:20 AM »
Axis HPS-1050 on 86 carbon mast.
https://youtu.be/Wxrmwo84V4Q

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #989 on: May 30, 2021, 07:31:03 AM »
Axis HPS-1050 on 86 carbon mast.
https://youtu.be/Wxrmwo84V4Q

Thanks Dwight for the screw info. Nice vid! Seemed windy enough for the 980. Would you say that the extra glide of the 1050 has your attention on swell riding days like this? I am torn many days whether I want to go as fast as I can (980v1/380) or go 1050 and be able to do more of my surface moves. Now I threw into the mix an 890 bsc which causes even more time deciding. The glide on the 890 is crap compared to the HPS but the carviness is far better. I am fired up to feel the carbon mast difference with all these wings. we are in doldrums till thursday. Send it!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal