Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 402884 times)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #960 on: April 23, 2021, 08:12:34 AM »
It is old school now but I am really enjoying working the small bumps with my 1150 on a light day.  Ensis 6/1150/420/short/86 carbon/KT Custom board.  Drone video by my friend Zack Kaplan.

https://www.facebook.com/phil.seu.58/videos/953039955468119

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 23, 2021, 11:13:31 AM »
I winged my 1150 for the last two days, both at Kanaha and the harbor. It's a great wing. In the harbor I was using the 76CM mast and I was getting a lot of the "stutter" feeling that is probably the wing sucking air--maybe the fresh assortment of reef gouges is exacerbating the problem. I also overfoiled and crashed hard a couple of times. If it's good today I think I'll switch to my 860 and 96CM mast.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: May 11, 2021, 01:03:28 PM »
Anyone got/ been on the BSC 890/810? Be good to get some feedback.

Cheers
Mike

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 11, 2021, 04:22:05 PM »
810 is my favorite foil for winging in waves.  Been using it with a kane tail.

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 12, 2021, 03:49:01 AM »
Great, how much do u weigh? And what wind strength do u need?

Mike

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 12, 2021, 10:42:40 PM »
Further to that, do you prefer the 810 over the compromable HPS series wings?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #966 on: May 13, 2021, 07:37:37 AM »
Anyone got/ been on the BSC 890/810? Be good to get some feedback.

Cheers
Mike
Yes, have been on both, and love both of them.....after a whole lotta fiddling to get the 890 to work for me.

I got the 890 before the 810, and could never to get it to work properly for me, and fiddled with different tails, different shims in the tails, shim under the last bolt of the 890 itself, moving it all over the mast tracks, and it just never really did anything that great. It turned OK, it pumped OK, but just OK compared to some of the other stuff I ride, and from what I expect that others (on prone boards, I'm on a sup) were raving about...so it eventually just got mothballed since I just couldn't seem to get it going.

But that all changed once I got the 810 in for the prone guys around these parts to try, since at 1070 cm2 of actual area, I figured there be no way it lifting me on a sup. Well dang, was I ever wrong...

Along with the 810 came a crazy short fuse that was supposed to be the ticket in getting it to crank the turns, and still be able to pump it all over the place (on a prone now remember). The first guy that took it out came back eyes wide, and all teeth showing with the big ol' smile on his face. He couldn't believe how "super fun" it was, and just how much initial lift it had in it...so much so, that after a sesh or two, he convinced me to try it on my sup.

Well hell, what a freakin' amazing little wing, that does have a surprising amount of lift outta the hole, turns as fast and hard as any foil I've ridden (the faster you go, the more it feels like it's on rails g-forcing you through the turns :o), and it pumped surprisingly well for its small size, although it didn't get me back out to connect another wave...that I just wrote that off as "when you get something, you give up something" I like to say about all the different setups, and I was more than happy to give that up for just how much it felt like I was actually "surfing" again...just now on a foil.

After several sessions with it, a light bulb came on (yes, it takes a while nowadays)....that if I can foil this wing, why can't/couldn't I surf its slightly larger big brother? 🤔💡 So I dug out the 890 again, threw it on the crazy short fuse with the 380 tail, and wholly moly...I had a whole new wing underneath me!!

The only thing I noticed, that for some reason (probably that I have now switched over to the newer V2 carbon mast)...I felt like I was flying downhill, with my front foot lower than my rear one, so I threw a single "Foilmount" shim under the front of baseplate, and again, what a completely different and wonderful setup I had stumbled onto. It got out of the water as easy as any of the wings I've ridden, and railed turns, and I was pumping out connecting waves (just 2fer ones, but that's all my old fireman worn lungs would allow anyway).

That all led up to yesterday, when we had a little longer period energy in the water, and I decided to just see how the 810 would act with this new angle of the dangle of the mast with the shim on it. Surprisingly and amazingly, it was still fast, turn incredibly...but I was also now able to pump back out and get a 2fer ones fairly regularly with it (when my lungs accommodated  :P ;D). Now I'm not saying everyone needs to use a baseplate shim with it, just on my board I needed it to get things aligned correctly....YMMV.

So yeah, both are "super fun" wings in the surf, but it might take a little bit to get them setup correctly, and I think the crazy short fuse it a big factor to consider with those two wings. At least that's what it took for me to get them working properly, but with that, it is a little trickier, because with that "short wheelbase", they do respond "RIT Now!" when you go to turn them, and you really have to be ready for it, or you can lose the tail as they're both a little squirrelier because of it.

Similar to what bigmtn wrote, they're now both "my favorite foil(s) for winging in waves".
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 07:41:40 AM by Califoilia »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #967 on: May 13, 2021, 07:47:51 AM »
Right at the moment I do, but I've not thrown the 880 back on the new shimmed mast setup yet, so the jury's still kind of out on that until I'm able to test that out.

And just as a disclaimer to all of this being said since we're in the "wing foiling" section....all of that is wrt them in the surf w/o a wing, since I don't wingding, and don't plan on it. When the it gets windy, I get going to find something else to do that's out of it.🤷‍♂️
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 13, 2021, 11:02:08 PM »
I don't blame you for that Slatch (Califoilia--old habits die hard), my five months in SoCal set my wingDing program back about a year. Chasing weenie wind and flying 7M wings is kind of pointless.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 14, 2021, 03:03:16 PM »
Great, how much do u weigh? And what wind strength do u need?

Mike

165, 4m/5m fone wings if it isn't windy enough to get up on foil with the 810, it isn't windy enough to be worth winging.  I don't know what the numbers are, but if its windy, it works.  I wish there was a smaller version of the 810.

I haven't tried the 880, but I do have the 700 and 980.  I like them both, and the 700 is great in waves, but it needs a lot of wind to get up on foil.  So if it is cranking wind I'll take the 700, but most days I choose the 810.  If I'm doing downwingers or something where I want lots of glide, then I take the 980. Kane tail with rear shim for all.

FoilBenny

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 18, 2021, 04:44:13 AM »
So after reading the whole damn thread here, I've finally decided to buy an Axis as my first foil for winging.

I found a great deal on a BSC 890, with short fuselage and 390 stab. I imagine this will be my high wind/wave foil, but I probably need a bigger wing for learning and lighter winds.

I've foiled one season with a kite, so hopefully it won't be too frustrating to get started. Which b-series wing would you recommend as a bigger wing to get started? HPS 1050? HPS 980 too much overlap?

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #971 on: May 18, 2021, 06:11:01 AM »
Congrats on dropping into the axis wormhole! Its an exciting place. If you got the 890 coming, then the 1050 will be a great complement. If you have really light winds or are just a friggin joneser who will try at the slightest wiggle of a leaf, you will want to add an 1150 to the mix. The 390 goes great with all the wings. Its carvy but will hold back the potential top end of the bsc wings. As you progress and get the need for speed you can add a 380 HA stab. I decided to go axis last year after being annoyed by this thread and not being able to speak axis. There is not another foil brand that I know of that has been discussed in such frothy detail as right here on the Axis thread. I just had first session on the 890 and absolutely loved it. It gets up and going sooner and easier than the 890 or 1050. Its thicker and draggier but it didn't bother me at all. The smaller wingspan makes it so you can "mind foil" it. Meaning that you just think about where you want to go and its already doing it.

FoilBenny

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 18, 2021, 07:16:34 AM »
Thanks for the writeup. The decision to buy the BSC 890 was a bit random since I found a second hand one and since there isn't much information about it here. But I have wondered if max speed is really what toy want on the waves. I guess you will need more turns on a faster HPS Than a BSC to stay on, and not outrun the wave(but turns are fun of course). I saw the interview with Gunnar Biniach where he talks about prefering low aspect in waves. I've only used my chunky Slingshot Spaceskate which was fun, but hard to hold down when the speed increased down the wave.

This forum is really a goldmine of information! Happy to join the Axis bandwagon. Could be an expensive step for a guy that loves to test and tweak everything possible.

FoilBenny

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 18, 2021, 10:53:43 AM »
Btw if the 890 gets up earlier than the 1050, what would the benefit of owning the 1050 be?

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 18, 2021, 09:39:19 PM »
Right at the moment I do, but I've not thrown the 880 back on the new shimmed mast setup yet, so the jury's still kind of out on that until I'm able to test that out.

And just as a disclaimer to all of this being said since we're in the "wing foiling" section....all of that is wrt them in the surf w/o a wing, since I don't wingding, and don't plan on it. When the it gets windy, I get going to find something else to do that's out of it.🤷‍♂️

Have you managed to get out on the 880 for comparison sake yet?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal