Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403044 times)

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #870 on: February 27, 2021, 12:37:35 PM »

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 28, 2021, 12:08:41 AM »
Interesting, I rode the 1060's lil brother (970), and didn't think it carved as well as the 1150's and 1010's lil brother (910)...having not ridden the any of those bigger bros. :D
Now granted, I'm talking surf foiling them, and winging might be a completely different kind "carving", but while they call them "PNG" wings, the baby of the family turns super well at speed (with the 460 tail), and not that far off the 900's surf carving, but as the name says, it pumps much better than the 900....IMHO naturally.
I am still looking for the right wing for  downwind winging in strong wind 25= knots
I have the 860, doesn't pump good enough , not enough glide
I have the 1010 , out of control in stroger wind when the waves get steeper.
And I have the 900 , nice to carve and pumps quite good.

But if the 910 carves as good as the 900 and has more pump and glide, would this be the wing to get? How easy is it to control when it really speeds up?

Or should I get one of the new HPS foils? I tried the V1 980 And didn't like it , but perhaps the 930 would be perfect? But will the 930 not be to difficult to get up and flying when the wind drops below 20 knots? And how good does it pump with the wing flagging?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #872 on: February 28, 2021, 12:46:30 AM »
Interesting, I rode the 1060's lil brother (970), and didn't think it carved as well as the 1150's and 1010's lil brother (910)...having not ridden the any of those bigger bros. :D
Now granted, I'm talking surf foiling them, and winging might be a completely different kind "carving", but while they call them "PNG" wings, the baby of the family turns super well at speed (with the 460 tail), and not that far off the 900's surf carving, but as the name says, it pumps much better than the 900....IMHO naturally.
I am still looking for the right wing for  downwind winging in strong wind 25= knots

But if the 910 carves as good as the 900 and has more pump and glide, would this be the wing to get? How easy is it to control when it really speeds up?

Or should I get one of the new HPS foils? I tried the V1 980 And didn't like it , but perhaps the 930 would be perfect? But will the 930 not be to difficult to get up and flying when the wind drops below 20 knots? And how good does it pump with the wing flagging?
Unfortunately, as I made sure to post previously...I'm not a winger, so have no conception of "winging in strong wind 25=knots", and all I can share is how they all act in the surf...with less than 8kt wind, much over that and I'm sitting on the beach. :D

But in the surf, I find that all of the higher aspect wings seem to be easier to control the more you push them. In fact, that was probably the hardest thing for me to get past in the beginning when transitioning over, was that I was trying to turn them like LA wings, and slowed them down too much before and when turning...instead of accelerating them, and pushing them through the turn.

New riders trying them for the first time, I equate it to riding and turning a bike. That like a bike too slow in a turn, and you'll wobble, bobble, and tip the bike over, but the faster you turn it, the better it'll track through the turn...up to the point that you're going just too fast and the tires slide out from under you. HA wings are very similar in feel.

The 910 when going fast enough, will let a wing tip come out of the water, and track right through it. Whereas because of the anhedral tips on the 900, if you do turn it hard enough to get a tip out, the water will spill out of it, and it'll slide out from under you...just like the bike going too fast.

As far as the HPS wings, I'm really liking both the 1050 and 980 (haven't ridden the 930), but then again, that's under a sup foil, and I can use the paddle to assist me in the wave, that you're not able to take advantage of with the wing, so it could be that as more of the difference in preference than that of the wings.

But from the sounds of it, I'd see if you can try a 910 from someone, since you already seem to like the 1010, and it's better/easier than the 900 to control at higher speeds, not only because of the flatter/wider tips, but it's just a slower wing than the 900 all-around.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 28, 2021, 02:08:29 AM »
Unfortunately, as I made sure to post previously...I'm not a winger, so have no conception of "winging in strong wind 25=knots", and all I can share is how they all act in the surf...with less than 8kt wind, much over that and I'm sitting on the beach. :D

But in the surf, I find that all of the higher aspect wings seem to be easier to control the more you push them. In fact, that was probably the hardest thing for me to get past in the beginning when transitioning over, was that I was trying to turn them like LA wings, and slowed them down too much before and when turning...instead of accelerating them, and pushing them through the turn.

New riders trying them for the first time, I equate it to riding and turning a bike. That like a bike too slow in a turn, and you'll wobble, bobble, and tip the bike over, but the faster you turn it, the better it'll track through the turn...up to the point that you're going just too fast and the tires slide out from under you. HA wings are very similar in feel.

The 910 when going fast enough, will let a wing tip come out of the water, and track right through it. Whereas because of the anhedral tips on the 900, if you do turn it hard enough to get a tip out, the water will spill out of it, and it'll slide out from under you...just like the bike going too fast.

As far as the HPS wings, I'm really liking both the 1050 and 980 (haven't ridden the 930), but then again, that's under a sup foil, and I can use the paddle to assist me in the wave, that you're not able to take advantage of with the wing, so it could be that as more of the difference in preference than that of the wings.

But from the sounds of it, I'd see if you can try a 910 from someone, since you already seem to like the 1010, and it's better/easier than the 900 to control at higher speeds, not only because of the flatter/wider tips, but it's just a slower wing than the 900 all-around.
I also supfoil and downwinding with a wing is quite similar: trying to make long rides flagging the wing.
I have the 1010 and I use it when the waves are small and slow for supfoil and when the wind is less than 15 knots for wingfoil, but I do not really like way it turns, also when winging going pretty fast. It has a mind of its own,the 900 and 86 are much more under control when carving....
That is why I hesitate ordering a 910 , unfortunately I can't borrow one to try.

Alysum

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 28, 2021, 04:11:20 AM »

Forget the 910. Downwind you need speed and glide.

Go the HPS880, it is an insane wing.... Glides so much (not as long as the 980) and is fast. Turns pretty well too. Make sure you couple it with either the 420 (speed and pump) or 390 (carves better) .
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:13:30 AM by sydney.winger »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #875 on: February 28, 2021, 04:45:44 AM »

I have the 1010 and I use it when the waves are small and slow for supfoil and when the wind is less than 15 knots for wingfoil, but I do not really like way it turns, also when winging going pretty fast. It has a mind of its own,the 900 and 86 are much more under control when carving....
That is why I hesitate ordering a 910 , unfortunately I can't borrow one to try.

Nailed it. That’s why I sold my 1010 after one month. The PNGs are not for me. I want a foil that is an extension of me.

The HPS foils will be what you love. Now you just need to pick the size. When building a quiver of HPS foils you want to skip a size. So 1050-930, or 980-880 are good combos.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:49:22 AM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 28, 2021, 07:03:52 AM »
+1 on the 1010. I don't understand why the 1150 turns so much better. I have to pivot the 1010, I can bank the 1150.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #877 on: February 28, 2021, 03:35:10 PM »
The HPS foils will be what you love. Now you just need to pick the size. When building a quiver of HPS foils you want to skip a size. So 1050-930, or 980-880 are good combos.
I agree with this, and why I said...

...but he had said he didn't like the 980 for whatever reason(s), so I went the other way with the other series, and the 910 that I know a lot of guys are liking with their wings (2nd best selling wing in the Axis lineup after the 1150).

We don't have an 880 here in SoCal yet, but hoping that changes in the not too distance future. After riding the other two and loving them, I think an even smaller, more nimble wing from that series would be even better and more fun in the surf.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 28, 2021, 11:21:35 PM »
I agree with this, and why I said...

...but he had said he didn't like the 980 for whatever reason(s), so I went the other way with the other series, and the 910 that I know a lot of guys are liking with their wings (2nd best selling wing in the Axis lineup after the 1150).

We don't have an 880 here in SoCal yet, but hoping that changes in the not too distance future. After riding the other two and loving them, I think an even smaller, more nimble wing from that series would be even better and more fun in the surf.

I only tried the 980 but it was a V1, the V2 is supposed to be a better foil...
But I don't have the opportunity to test the final version...

But I only read good thigs about the HPS wings so perhaps I just have to take a chance and order two or three of them.
What do think Cali should I forget about the 910 for now if I do that?

And what would be best quiver of HPS wings for a couple

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #879 on: March 01, 2021, 02:23:29 AM »
What didn’t you like about the v1

Then I can tell you if you’ll like the v2.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 01, 2021, 05:17:50 AM »
What didn’t you like about the v1
Then I can tell you if you’ll like the v2.
I only tried it twice with a wing.
It was nervous when going fast, and it was not much faster than my 860...
And it had a mind of its own when carving a jibe , a bit like the 1010 but worse.
And I have used the 1020,920,1000 and 900 for winging and these all carve nice and smooth.

And I don't  like winging with the 1150 at all , it is fine for the sup for mini waves.
Still looking for a nicer lightwind winging foil, perhaps the HPS 1050 or the BSC 970?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 05:23:15 AM by soepkip »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #881 on: March 01, 2021, 08:15:25 AM »
And I don't  like winging with the 1150 at all , it is fine for the sup for mini waves.
Still looking for a nicer lightwind winging foil, perhaps the HPS 1050 or the BSC 970?
OK, since the bottom line you looking for is "light wind", then yes, forget about the 910 (and 980 or 970), and just get the 1050...that wing is super fun in the small surf (equating that to "light wind"), and does almost everything really well.

Other than me hitting my paddle on it a couple of times because it's so long (the wing, not my paddle), which is an instantaneous "stick in the spokes" kind of thing, I can't think of a single thing I don't like about that wing...turns, glides, pumps incredibly, and lifts off the water on takeoff super easy. Kinda like I wrote about here last week....

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #882 on: March 01, 2021, 09:32:24 AM »
OK got it. The v1 is more nervous than the v2. I love the v1 because it is adrenaline pumping performance. Jacky immediately liked the v2 more, because it was easy. The v2 is toned down a lot. More accessible performance all around.

But, I’m not going to say you’ll like the v2, if you disliked the v1 that much. I think the v1 crushes every wing on the planet. So we like different feels.

The BCS is super easy fun.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 01, 2021, 09:44:04 AM »
I've ridden v1 and v2 of the 980, and the 810. For riding waves the v2 is better than v1. Turns well and doesn't want to drop if you get going too slow like the v1 does. That being said I think you should look into the BSC wings based on what you're written. I found the 810 to be like the 900 but turns way better/tighter. So maybe one of the bigger sizes of the BSC line depending on your weight.

That being said I winged Kahana last night with the v2 980, and felt like a carving machine in the waist high waves. I really like both the 980 and 810.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 01, 2021, 10:16:48 PM »
OK, since the bottom line you looking for is "light wind", then yes, forget about the 910 (and 980 or 970), and just get the 1050...that wing is super fun in the small surf (equating that to "light wind"), and does almost everything really well.

Other than me hitting my paddle on it a couple of times because it's so long (the wing, not my paddle), which is an instantaneous "stick in the spokes" kind of thing, I can't think of a single thing I don't like about that wing...turns, glides, pumps incredibly, and lifts off the water on takeoff super easy. Kinda like I wrote about here last week....
Yes one of the things I am looking for is a foil for light wind winging and after reading your post about the 1050 I just have to get it , it will be a great supping foil as well....

I never hit my foil with my paddle, I have a nose high paddle that I don't use once I am up on the foil.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal