Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 401970 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #810 on: January 19, 2021, 10:30:30 AM »
One of many beautiful moves in this vid:

https://youtu.be/4OAjvFXgBjg?t=48

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #811 on: January 19, 2021, 10:33:57 AM »
I'll switch when I feel I've mastered what I have.

Haha, not buying that.

My first thought was, "wonder who is using Bill's computer".

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #812 on: January 19, 2021, 11:13:47 AM »
Incidentally, in my experience carving on the face of the wave does exactly the opposite of "slowing you down". Dave K told me "If you can't pump, turn." Most of my falls from the top of the ladder (top of the wave, overfoiling, falling to the bottom) is because I got going faster than I can control my foil by turning on the top of the wave. To me, it feels like the throttle got stuck. I survive bottom turns much better by running too far out of the wave, getting my turn done before the wave catches me, and then pumping to speed up before it rolls me off sideways. Not elegant, but it sort of works. I call it the Geezer Bottom Turn.
Yeah, the bold is my experience also. At times with the 860 it seems a little doggy speed wise compared to the 900, so when heading down the line to setup a turn, I'll sometimes "pump" the wing by making some quick, successive turns (not complete top/bottom ones, just partial up and down the face) to pick up speed...that I eventually work to the top, and then nose down into my true, subsequent bottom to the top turn.

Also, the above "nose down" is just that, I feel as though I have to "dive bomb" it down the face so as to not over foil it, and have the wing breach as I'm picking up speed in (with) the turn, and the wing wants to lift, thus levels out through it, and I'm back looking to hit the other side with speed and height again.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #813 on: January 19, 2021, 03:12:55 PM »
So beautiful I had to share. Evan sent this to me a few hours ago.

Alysum

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 19, 2021, 05:23:19 PM »
So beautiful I had to share. Evan sent this to me a few hours ago.

what's his preferred setup for wing ?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #815 on: January 19, 2021, 06:28:06 PM »
what's his preferred setup for wing ?

He was winging the HPS, short fuse and 420 tail when I rode with him. It looks like the same in this photo.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #816 on: January 19, 2021, 07:54:45 PM »
Very nice, looking forward to testing the new wings when he makes down south to our neck of the woods in the next month or two.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #817 on: January 19, 2021, 09:10:10 PM »
IMHO what Kai might have meant was that you do not flex your knees on a foil as much as when on a planing surfboard.But shortboard surfers flex and extend a lot,all the time.
If you google "kai lenny foiling"-images you can see that there is always quite a bit of bend in his knees.

Even Alan Cadiz ,blasting on a wingfoil in protected water has some very noticeble bend in his knees (minute 2:06 )
https://youtu.be/MbGShPNzsSk

But i think i get what DW meant because on foil it feels good to use a bit of a more rigid leg stance,it adds a very stable feeling in pitch.

In the vid you were just doing what the situation demanded with the foot position you had, it looked quite good actually :)

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 23, 2021, 05:17:55 PM »
Question any riders in the 200 plus club that have tried the new CF Axis mast wondering if it’s worth plucking down the extra $6-700 on it compared to the tried and true 19mm aluminum mast which for HW riders rocks especially with big wings. Also any weight comparisons on the 75 or 86cm masts compared to the 19mm alum masts with the doo dad base plate etc what are we talking weight wise? just don’t want to piss more $ away if it ain’t worth it for a HW thanks
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 23, 2021, 06:59:05 PM »
I haven't seen it personally. At that weight I'd say not worth it. Rob Vonpiros on instagram says the carbon is negligibly lighter than the 19mm aluminum mast.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 24, 2021, 12:53:11 AM »
I just weighed the 75 with doodad and baseplate and two 70 mm bolts and the 76V1 carbon with two 25 mm  bolts and they both are 2.1 kg

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Axis Foils Carbon Mast
« Reply #821 on: January 24, 2021, 03:45:24 AM »
You do carbon for the feel, not weight. After spending a long time on carbon, then riding aluminum, the dead feel of aluminum jumped out at me.

Rob posted the following on the Aussie forum a while back. I saved it, because it helped me understand the feeling I was having.

First up I'm not a team rider or ambassador for Axis. Yes agree it's a moderate weight saving but the tapered carbon mast gives flex down low on the fuselage and doesn't flex like a Aluminium mast from the mast plate . Similar to a surfboard fin only flexing on the tip. This gives you way more control on a loaded turn . Same goes for all the other carbon mast on the market , other than the GoFoil which is by far the stiffest on the market with virtually no flex at all but no weight saving over a comparable stiff aluminium mast . Not knocking the GoFoil it's super stiff , it's what you want to feel when you ride . You won't no rock n roll on your Sup , it's the stiffest .
Controlled mast flex down low feels really good and when reaching on the ding it pushes you forward on a reach . When you unload the pressure it all stays under your feet , compare that to a loaded Aluminium mast it snaps back and is really unsettling. For the prone guys it gives you way more surfing feel rolling in and out of turns . Way heaps easier to control. The tapered carbon mast won't pendulum under your feet like a aluminium mast on your Sup . For the punters probably not worth the extra money to go carbon but for the performance riders , it's a must have . IMHO
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:49:38 AM by Dwight (DW) »

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 24, 2021, 09:28:25 AM »
Funny thing for me after coming from all CF foils from the get go in early kite foiling days swore to myself that I’d never get a aluminum foil after I had a not so good older aluminum foil few years back,that was until I tried the Axis for winging last year then discovered how well it worked for me supfoiling 3-4 months back been riding them exclusively for both winging and supfoiling. Since laughabley now I find myself questioning a CF mast which is all I used for years MHL for kiting and supfoiling and then gofoil for supfoiling which have both been collecting dust in the garage since really liking the  Axis performance.So think I will take a chance on the Axis CF mast since all I used to ride supfoiling was MHL and GF foils and sure Axis CF will be on par with them or better especially since they are almost $300 more than say a MHL mast.Now have to solve my dilemma of getting either 76cm or 86cm as I currently ride 75cm supfoiling and a 85 cm winging 19mm aluminum hmmm always something,kinda leaning towards the 86cm as I can use for both disciplines but the 75cm is better locally supfoiling hard to drop $1600 for 2 but maybe way to go,maybe have to sell some of my old kites to recoup the costs since I have not even launched my kites since last may of 2020 when my winging addiction started in earnest,have some Naish boxers for foiling and pivot for sale if anyone interested
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 09:40:50 AM by paddlur »
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #823 on: January 24, 2021, 09:37:41 AM »
So here's the thing, Rob is talking about "pendulum" flex, and I'm more concerned with "torsional" (twisting) flex that I immediately felt in a turn with the 76V1, and none at all with the aluminum 75cm.

Yes, if I stand with both feet on the rails and wiggle the board side to side with a big wing underneath, sure I can feel a little pendulum feel in the aluminum mast - which is about a 1/10 of what I felt when doing that on any carbon mast I've been on (the GF Maliko being the worst) - but I don't foil surf with my feet on the rails, and I don't turn the board/foil that way either.

It was the torsional flex that got kept me off GoFoil (didn't realize it until riding Axis aluminum), and the Axis 76V1 didn't win me over either with its - while less than the GF - torsional flex underfoot either. While Rob talks about loading and unloading of the flex, I felt it as a delay in my inputs to the wings below me with carbon.

So when I'd go to make a turn, it felt that while I was getting the board to start making the turn, the wings underneath me were still wanting to go straight, and it was that fraction(s) of a second delay caused by the torsional flex that threw off my timing just enough to make the turns feel much less controlled and instantaneous than I feel with the 75cm aluminum mast.

That said, in talking with a couple other guys surfing the 76V1 on prone boards, they said that they didn't feel that same torsional flex with it, which led me to believe that some of it might be that I'm on a SUP foil using a front strap that I use to help pull the board around to help with my turns, and that that added leveraging is what's creating the two different feels we were getting from the same carbon mast.

So I think a lot of whether you like a carbon mast - regardless of brand - will have to do with how you surf the foil, and what feel(s) you'll get out of the Axis carbon mast you're thinking about. The new V2 seems to be laid up differently in cloth direction (vertical vs diagonal IIRC), and just checking the torsional flex on the beach with it, it seems to be much more rigid than the V1, but still not as rigid or stiff as the aluminum...but I've yet to actually test that out in the water to say for sure.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 09:42:46 AM by Califoilia (formerly - SanoSlatchSup) »

Alysum

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 24, 2021, 03:33:27 PM »
I saw someone who had the new 420 tail. It looks rather.... big. Would prefer a smaller one, was there talk of a smaller one the same style ? Can't remember what size... 380 ?

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM