Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 402974 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #795 on: January 18, 2021, 12:24:20 PM »
Headmount--a longer mast helps, though if you get carried away you just fall further. Wings don't really have a speed limit but lift increases as the square of the speed. Go from 2mph to 4mph and the list goes from x (the foil factor) times 4 to x times 16. Step up to 8mph and it's x times 64.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #796 on: January 18, 2021, 02:07:07 PM »

You can see the front wing and stab break the surface right before you go in.  It looked like you were plenty forward.  What to do to prevent that?  It's happened to me with this same set up.  I don't like these type of falls.  They hurt.

You are exactly right.  I crash due to ventilation because at the speed I was traveling, I could not overcome the lift of the foil with my body weight.  So the prevention is to either go slower by carving on the face of the wave which I really couldn't do because all my effort was directed towards keeping the foil down (and maybe some skill deficit) or use a smaller foil.  After that session, I ordered a 910 and an 860.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #797 on: January 18, 2021, 03:26:54 PM »
You can be further forward on the board. Rear foot should be forward of the mast. Get about 3" forward and you'll keep it down.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #798 on: January 18, 2021, 03:40:10 PM »
The efficiency at controlling the foil is not ideal. Bending the knees is the wrong approach. You want to be upright.

Kai Lenny talked about this in the early days of foiling. Stand up.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #799 on: January 18, 2021, 04:39:03 PM »
The efficiency at controlling the foil is not ideal. Bending the knees is the wrong approach. You want to be upright.

Probably a mistake to post that video if one's basic technique is going to be judged by it.   It is hard to tell by the video but it was a totally out of control run at a very high speed on waves which were too big for the 1010/440 setup at my weight.  I am desperately trying to get my weight as forward and as low as possible.  There was no way to move my feet forward once the ride started.  If I stood up, my crash would have been instantaneous.  99 %of the time when I am foiling, I am upright but I think my response was the best possible in the situation I was in. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 18, 2021, 06:49:21 PM »
Yeah, a 1010 is a bit big for surf foiling. I've used my 1150 a few times in punky surf, but it's not an easy ride, and it's actually pretty draggy, so it's hard to catch little stuff. And then you get up and it's hard to keep it down, most of my rides with it end with a crash.

The 1000 is much friendlier, and if the waves have some punch, the 860 is a delight. It takes some real speed to get up in the air at 215 (probably 225 with my wetsuit) but once I'm up I can just concentrate on the ride and enjoy the smooth, easy turns.

The other thing to pay close attention to is the incidence angle. I've started decreasing it to 2 degrees in the pitchy Cali semi-shore break and it's a revelation. Again, it's harder to get up, but once I'm up my front foot is on top of the handle of the board and my back foot is about 10 inches behind it--about five inches forward of the mast. Controlling pitch feels almost automatic.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #801 on: January 18, 2021, 07:30:09 PM »
After that session, I ordered a 910 and an 860.
Great call...they're both awesome, and both completely different. The 860 is a carving machine (w/the 460 to loosen it up a bit, and the more you turn the better it works)...the 910 (w/ the 420 to speed it up a bit) still turns on a dime, but pumps and glides like a beast.

Both are super fun, and have sorta made my 900/390 previous favorite a dust collector...for now. :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #802 on: January 18, 2021, 09:06:54 PM »

Probably a mistake to post that video if one's basic technique is going to be judged by it.   It is hard to tell by the video but it was a totally out of control run at a very high speed on waves which were too big for the 1010/440 setup at my weight.  I am desperately trying to get my weight as forward and as low as possible.  There was no way to move my feet forward once the ride started.  If I stood up, my crash would have been instantaneous.  99 %of the time when I am foiling, I am upright but I think my response was the best possible in the situation I was in.

Definitely not a mistake to post that video.  You can't learn much by seeing everything go perfect.  So I really appreciate videos like yours.  Thank you for posting it.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #803 on: January 19, 2021, 02:34:34 AM »
Phils,

I don't know what these guys are talking about.  That was a sick ride!  You are just hearing jealousy because they know that if they got in that crouch for that long there is only a 7 percent chance they would be able to get back up.  :) 

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #804 on: January 19, 2021, 04:38:53 AM »
Haha, standing back up was a proud moment....I look at the camera thinking "I hope you caught that".

Anyway, enough about me.  The topic is Axis.  I had been trying to stall deciding on the Black stuff but after this weekend, went deeper into Red by adding a 910, 860, 420 (and carbon 86 mast)  to my 1150 and 1010.

Ultimate target is a setup for another summer of downwind winging and paddling at the Gorge.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 19, 2021, 07:56:05 AM »
By George, I think you've got it. If and when your wallet refills you might consider a 340 tail, which I rarely see in anyone else's quiver, but I think it's a great one. Especially with the 860. I'm sticking with Red for the foreseeable future. I'll switch when I feel I've mastered what I have. At my current rate of progress that will happen around 2030, concurrent with finishing the major projects in my shop. Or maybe 2040. 2050 is a possibility.

Admin grossly over-estimates how likely it is that I would be able to resume an upright posture. the two best foil rippers I know (other than Kai and Austin) are Eddie Ogata and Junya McGurn. They both get so low that it makes my knees ache just to look at them. Dave Kalama gets fairly low as well, though nothing like those two. Austin Kalama might as well, but I refuse to watch him foil--it makes me too jealous. Most of the young guns seem to stand more upright, but they are so relaxed doing things that I can't do that they could eat a sandwich or take selfies and read their friends InstaStuff.

Incidentally, in my experience carving on the face of the wave does exactly the opposite of "slowing you down". Dave K told me "If you can't pump, turn." Most of my falls from the top of the ladder (top of the wave, overfoiling, falling to the bottom) is because I got going faster than I can control my foil by turning on the top of the wave. To me, it feels like the throttle got stuck. I survive bottom turns much better by running too far out of the wave, getting my turn done before the wave catches me, and then pumping to speed up before it rolls me off sideways. Not elegant, but it sort of works. I call it the Geezer Bottom Turn. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 08:07:33 AM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 19, 2021, 09:50:09 AM »
This is Junya, bending his knees just a bit:

And Eddie:

Dave, not so much. the only guy I know with worse taste in hats than me:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 09:54:49 AM by PonoBill »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #807 on: January 19, 2021, 10:10:59 AM »
That wasn’t the point. Once a foiler starts squatting, the ability to control pitch is reduced. That’s all that I was trying to imply. Poorly I guess.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #808 on: January 19, 2021, 10:21:58 AM »
Early on in my learn to foil experience I switched to a smaller high performance foil.  This enabled me to continue using my inefficient technique, until I went out on bigger days and my inadequate technique surfaced again as did my wing right before I did a high speed face plant.  I eventually went back to bigger more stable lifty wings and this time I played with my stance and made stabilizer adjustments until I learned how to manage bigger wings.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #809 on: January 19, 2021, 10:23:52 AM »
I'll switch when I feel I've mastered what I have.

Haha, not buying that.

I have a buddy, who rides what you ride. He declined to test the HPS when Evan was here because fast was not his thing. He only tested the BSS and decided he wanted those foils. Surfing is his thing.

He wanted to try my board last week, but my HPS 980 was bolted to it. He was forced to use it as is. He about crapped his pants. He’s all in on the HPS bandwagon now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal