Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 402961 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #615 on: December 12, 2020, 10:00:37 AM »
Cool review, thanks, though you probably just cost me a couple of thousand bux.

the fast than usual thing is what I feel on the 860 at my weight, including the long stall thing when I'm not going fast enough and try to get up anyway. Sometimes I still make it work by pushing it over if it got high enough, but mostly I just splash down tail first. I tried taking my 2-degree shim out of the front and it was worse.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 10:06:40 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #616 on: December 12, 2020, 10:32:48 AM »
Finally got a session in on the 980!  Moon Buddy 80L, 83cm mast, 460 tail, ultra short black fuse, SS V2 4.4m, 85Kg, mast all the way back, no shim. Snowing, 5-30mph, drysuit, no problem. This foil won't fly until my board is moving a bit faster than what I am used to. There is a weird moment where I try to pump up and it does a horrible continuous stall freak out thing. I think the recommended -1% shim would probably mitigate this. Once I cross over that board speed needed, it comes right up. When flying, the 980 is the chit! I am coming off riding the 1150 and 1010 lately. So I am balls deep into wide HA wings. The most notable character is that I can operate this wing with very slight control inputs from my feet/ankles even toes. My stance became more centerline than I was riding with the other bigger wings. All of the dimensions roll pitch yah, are way more sensitive to inputs. This is not a beginner foil for that reason, but I never suspected it would be. I have been skateboarding a lot of bowls lately and am able to correlate the turning sensitivity to that of skating. It is instant feedback, no delay. This is very exciting! I haven't felt a foil this ripping, loose and sensitive since kiting on the SS Apollo 60(shrunken version of the Moses 633). My winging career, like many of you, has been mostly giant, slowish foils. This is kitefoiling without the kite. Mission accomplished! I was able to slash waves(lake chop) way faster and effortless. The glide is redonk. The wingding felt so light in my hands due to this. Going straight upwind was easier than normal, without feeling loaded up. Pumping cadence seemed to be slower than the 1150/1010. It felt as though it wanted to glide longer in between pumps. This will be greatly rewarding as I dial it in more. I have a 105cm mast on order and think that the extra altitude will be a huge advantage to the gliding. Start high and glide the foil down deeper slowly then pump back up to full height and repeat. I am stoked to see what the New York Foilguy finds out about the gliding of the 980. The speed was better than the 1010 but I quickly found the max. It seemed that bearing off wind kind of 45% that it went fastest. Anyways, stoked to be experiencing  wingfoiling development first hand instead of just reading about it. If you are an Axis guy or gal and on the fence about investing in the Black Series, my advice is like Laird said "There's only two things happening in life, either you're going down or you're going up."
Send It!!!!!!

Nice review of 980. Sounds really interesting. Would be interesting to see FoilingNY test 980 head to head with some of the other Axis wings.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #617 on: December 12, 2020, 12:47:31 PM »
The ideal board for the HPS-980 foil, will have a straight tail. No bevel at the tail. This gives just a bit more speed and acceleration on lift off, at the slight expense of pumping freedom.

It improves the overall range of these HPS foils.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 12:49:02 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #618 on: December 17, 2020, 05:30:28 PM »
Today....testing Axis foils with Evan and Jacky in paradise. Jacky got to be the first person in the world to test one foil. Not even the guys in New Zealand have one. Jacky was stoked. Super fun day. Don’t bother messaging me, all secret stuff for now.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 05:52:05 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #619 on: December 17, 2020, 11:55:56 PM »
Jacky got to be the first person in the world to test one foil.

So its true, Once you go black...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #620 on: December 18, 2020, 03:34:46 AM »
Jacky got to be the first person in the world to test one foil.

So its true, Once you go black...

Yes, I declined the offer to test red prototypes.  ;D

Others can do that.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #621 on: December 18, 2020, 03:39:58 PM »
Jacky took the tail shim out for the first time today. Riding the 3.5m and 980 in chest high surf. Cranking jibes on the wave face and riding away toe side, zero breaches. She also broke her all time highest speed on a foil. She’s ecstatic tonight.

Fast foils open a whole new world.

Wave Chaser

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #622 on: December 18, 2020, 05:15:56 PM »
Assuming Jacky is a lightweight, what is the wind range / sweet spot for the 3.5 Ensis wing for her?

Also, tail shim out means.....don't have to worry about putting extra weight on the front foot as speed increases?

5'9"
140lbs / 63kg
Axis HPS 830, Ultrashort fuse, P350 tail, 86cm carbon mast, 45l Axis Froth board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #623 on: December 18, 2020, 05:24:00 PM »
Assuming Jacky is a lightweight, what is the wind range / sweet spot for the 3.5 Ensis wing for her?

Also, tail shim out means.....don't have to worry about putting extra weight on the front foot as speed increases?

She is 116 lbs. No tail shim means no over foiling at her weight. The HPS makes big lift with speed. 3.5m sweet spot is probably 15-24 mph. She is still figuring that out.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #624 on: December 18, 2020, 07:37:23 PM »
It was blowing 15-16 mph today and I was on the 980 with a 3.5 ensis. I'm about 170 lbs, so the black series has some amazing range per size.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 18, 2020, 09:57:53 PM »
That’s our typical wind out here. Would you recommend that small an ensis? Or do I go 5.2 just to be safe. Only a couple sessions under my belt.

I found a deal on a 6’0” f one wing board and am trying to talk myself out of it. Haha.

I realize 6’0” is big and I’ll want to downsize. Will it not having foot straps be the nail in the coffin? I want to learn how to downwind in Los Angeles county.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:02:18 PM by Hdip »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #626 on: December 19, 2020, 01:40:59 AM »

I am still having to keep the 980 a little more front footed even with the  shim out.  That may be a relative thing to what you are coming from and for sure your weight.  With that foot pressured though it translates into speed and acceleration which is really what this foil is about.  I have to stay on that foot jibing as well to maintain that incredible glide.  I have tried moving it around and with two tails and both with and without shims and I think I have the best combo for me now. This one is outrageous in light wind but I am thinking that the next size down will be the money wing for 170, 175 guys in moderate to stronger winds.   

That 15 to 16 MPH that Nick mentioned for the Ensis 3.5 sounds sweet.  I am usually going for the 3.5 Swing at 18  MPH.  That had been my favorite wing and my most used wing by a lot,  It would be awesome if the Ensis 3.5 could add even a little more to the low side on that one.  I'm pissed at myself for missing a good one a couple days back.  I was running errands when it looked sweet and then the weather went nuts.  Arghhh!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 01:48:50 AM by Admin »

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #627 on: December 19, 2020, 05:40:31 AM »
15mph=13kt
With a 3.5?

I must be doing something wrong.

I must be doing everything wrong :)

Not saying i don't believe it mind you, but it is kind of surprising.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #628 on: December 19, 2020, 06:15:41 AM »
That’s our typical wind out here. Would you recommend that small an ensis? Or do I go 5.2 just to be safe. Only a couple sessions under my belt.

I found a deal on a 6’0” f one wing board and am trying to talk myself out of it. Haha.

I realize 6’0” is big and I’ll want to downsize. Will it not having foot straps be the nail in the coffin? I want to learn how to downwind in Los Angeles county.

I'd hold off on the 6' board and when it comes to the ensis wings, one can't buy only one. Myself as well as Dwight and several others I know tried the 5.2 and then ordered a quiver immediately getting off the water.

For shits and giggles I took the 1050 with the 2.5 out yesterday also and a little struggle to get on foil but once up, I was powered. The 3.5 replaced the 4.2 F1 for me and if I was going to get just one wing from them, the 4.5. I think it has the power of the 6 F1 almost.
I would sup foil 1150 until it was too much wind then jump to a 6 F1, so I do the same now but I'm jumping to a 4.5. ensis. The combo low end of the 1150 pairs great with the ensis wings

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #629 on: December 22, 2020, 09:42:14 AM »
So now that this is all out there...that 890 and 810 are the ones that have really had me stoked.  He didn't mention it in the video but these two wings are part of a new Broad Spectrum Carve series where the 700, 980 and 1050 are part of the High Performance Speed Series.  The BSC wings sound awesome to me for winging!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83R9ngJtoUA&feature=emb_logo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal