Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403019 times)

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #600 on: December 04, 2020, 09:47:08 AM »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 04, 2020, 10:47:19 AM »
This session is going great. *Checks watch* Oh man I'm gonna be late for work, let's get going! *Checks watch* If I keep this up I can just make it to work on time! 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 04, 2020, 11:57:10 AM »
It’s more complex than just moving around and shimming stuff.

You need perfection (matching low drag wings) to have equal foot pressure throughout the foils speed range.

It’s easy to get equal pressure for part of it’s range. That’s not good enough for me.

That makes great sense. I've been fairly lax about trying to match stab with wing. I've just been fiddling with shims. But it's obvious to me that getting front foot pressure at the lowest level without going unstable (been there, done that, don't want the T-shirt) makes a lot of other stuff easier and more predictable.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #603 on: December 08, 2020, 01:15:38 AM »
A couple of questions for all the Axis users here:

Mast placement on tracks compared to other brands:  about the same, more forward, more back or depends.

Can you get a custom carbon mast length or can their 96 be cut down a bit?

How much maintenance do you have to really do to keep components from seizing?

Thanks

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 08, 2020, 07:27:37 AM »
Compared to lift and signature way further back. I rode my 900 very near the back of my tracks.

No custom carbon masts from axis. Project cedros makes some.

Not much maintenance. I had an axis setup from March til November. Put it away wet in my car. Never rinsed it with fresh water after a session. I put some tef gel on it the very first time I put it together. After that I never took the mast and top plate off. I do take the fuse off the mast every time. I also loosened the front wing to make sure any water drained out. I changed the tail wing twice in that whole time otherwise never touched the screws. None of my screws ever seized up. Your mileage may vary.

You should probably loosen the screws every so often.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 08, 2020, 07:43:47 AM »
You can't shorten the carbon mast without a lot of work that would approximate building a mast. the Aluminum masts are easy to shorten, I did one at SanO on the tailgate of my truck. I don't do prone, have plenty of room to move on my board, and don't really use the single strap I just recently remounted (I'm not sure why I did that) so I just shove the plate all the way forward.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #606 on: December 08, 2020, 08:00:19 AM »
Probably good to point out that the Axis carbon and Axis aluminum masts position differently to one another.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #607 on: December 08, 2020, 08:09:38 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.  I actually see somewhere on their busy website that they will have a couple more carbon mast sizes in the future.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #608 on: December 08, 2020, 10:39:07 AM »
A couple of questions for all the Axis users here:

Mast placement on tracks compared to other brands:  about the same, more forward, more back or depends.
When running new gear, I don't measure off the mast placement to start, but rather the leading edge of the front wing. That said, I ended up riding my Axis wings in approximately the same position as I did my GF wings (give or take an 1/8 to 3/8 of an inch or so).
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 08, 2020, 02:36:31 PM »
GoFoil likes to be at the back of the tracks too from the pictures I see on instagram.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #610 on: December 10, 2020, 01:22:38 AM »
Couple more days on the 980 now.  Yesterday was a rangey (not gusty, though) 4.2 day.  High 40's was really nice.  I had on the 420 with no shim and that feels pretty sweet as well.  I am getting more comfortable with the turn it wants.  This foil continues to shock me at how it accelerates and glides.  So cool.  I did a strong 3.5 session a few days ago (high 30's-ouch) and back to backed it with the 760 to remember that one.  That is an amazing foil.  My holiday fasting is working and I am down to 172 now.  I like the 760 more in higher wind for foiling in place.  The 980 is a little big for me for that.  I think if I were going downwind that would change because the 980 feels unreal when its on a runner.  This is one of those times when area is a little misleading.  This is pretty big foil and it takes pretty significant front foot for me when it is howling.  I feel like this is going to be the money wing for bigger dudes and I can see my future wings...  This is going to be an amazing year for foils.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 01:29:35 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #611 on: December 10, 2020, 03:01:03 AM »
Think about this for a moment. 730, 430, and 350 sq cm is the standard PWA windsurf racing size  ;D With triple the gear weight we current have.

The HPS series makes me think this is possible for us. But not for everyone. Need the appropriate board and wind wing to go with it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIi2wCDLK1T/?igshid=1adcnmunip2qv
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 03:02:37 AM by Dwight (DW) »

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 10, 2020, 11:37:20 AM »
yeah, and riding huge windsurfing sails with much more refined aerodynamic properties versus these giant inflatable leading edges.  The windsurfing racers have massive thrust on tap to get to higher speeds.  I can't see the current form of wind-wings supporting the same kind of top speeds we see in windsurf foiling or sailboat foiling

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 10, 2020, 11:38:59 AM »
Kai did a video trying to reach high speeds using a crazy non-inflatable wing.  But it didn't look to me like a very efficient airfoil.  It would be interesting to see what kind of wing people come up once we start seeing development class racing on wing-foiling

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #614 on: December 12, 2020, 08:49:00 AM »
Finally got a session in on the 980!  Moon Buddy 80L, 83cm mast, 460 tail, ultra short black fuse, SS V2 4.4m, 85Kg, mast all the way back, no shim. Snowing, 5-30mph, drysuit, no problem. This foil won't fly until my board is moving a bit faster than what I am used to. There is a weird moment where I try to pump up and it does a horrible continuous stall freak out thing. I think the recommended -1% shim would probably mitigate this. Once I cross over that board speed needed, it comes right up. When flying, the 980 is the chit! I am coming off riding the 1150 and 1010 lately. So I am balls deep into wide HA wings. The most notable character is that I can operate this wing with very slight control inputs from my feet/ankles even toes. My stance became more centerline than I was riding with the other bigger wings. All of the dimensions roll pitch yah, are way more sensitive to inputs. This is not a beginner foil for that reason, but I never suspected it would be. I have been skateboarding a lot of bowls lately and am able to correlate the turning sensitivity to that of skating. It is instant feedback, no delay. This is very exciting! I haven't felt a foil this ripping, loose and sensitive since kiting on the SS Apollo 60(shrunken version of the Moses 633). My winging career, like many of you, has been mostly giant, slowish foils. This is kitefoiling without the kite. Mission accomplished! I was able to slash waves(lake chop) way faster and effortless. The glide is redonk. The wingding felt so light in my hands due to this. Going straight upwind was easier than normal, without feeling loaded up. Pumping cadence seemed to be slower than the 1150/1010. It felt as though it wanted to glide longer in between pumps. This will be greatly rewarding as I dial it in more. I have a 105cm mast on order and think that the extra altitude will be a huge advantage to the gliding. Start high and glide the foil down deeper slowly then pump back up to full height and repeat. I am stoked to see what the New York Foilguy finds out about the gliding of the 980. The speed was better than the 1010 but I quickly found the max. It seemed that bearing off wind kind of 45% that it went fastest. Anyways, stoked to be experiencing  wingfoiling development first hand instead of just reading about it. If you are an Axis guy or gal and on the fence about investing in the Black Series, my advice is like Laird said "There's only two things happening in life, either you're going down or you're going up."
Send It!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal