Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 402913 times)

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #555 on: November 27, 2020, 08:52:56 AM »
Great, thanks for the pics Admin  :)

Anyone know the specs of the larger version?

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #556 on: November 27, 2020, 09:01:00 AM »
Axis 1300 front wing.  1700 cm2 projected with AR of 9.94.  Holy S**!  Anyone try it yet?

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 27, 2020, 11:24:24 AM »
Any links Phil? I'm seeing only vague reference to a 1050 in the HPS line (and some smaller sizes than the 980)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #558 on: November 27, 2020, 12:18:36 PM »
Here are some comparisons to my trusty 860.  The thickness image is pretty telling.  The 860 is not a thick foil so we are clearly in new territory here. More than being excited about 1 foil (which I am), this is going to open up a whole new world.  Have a look at that top image and take that in for a second.  This is holy shit territory.

The other images answer my earlier question about fuselage length.  The black fuse itself is longer but the overall foil base is shorter.  I lined up the scew holes on both the 860 and 980 and shot them from above.  I needed to do it in 3 shots because the perspective was otherwise confusing. 

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #559 on: November 27, 2020, 12:35:02 PM »
Any links Phil? I'm seeing only vague reference to a 1050 in the HPS line (and some smaller sizes than the 980)

I only have a picture of the foil with the specs. Span 1300, chord 180, actual area 1712, projected 1700, volume 1895, AR 9.94.  The appearance of the fuse attachment area makes me think it is not HPS.  Might be the ticket to Gorge DW next year.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 12:37:15 PM by Phils »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #560 on: November 27, 2020, 09:27:34 PM »
For those that have not had the pleasure of meeting Evan, here is Mr. Axis US ;D
Evan's the man! Straight up great guy who we always look forward to having in town when he swings by this way a couple times a year. 8):D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #561 on: November 28, 2020, 03:31:00 PM »
I had my 3rd 980 session today. The second session was a 4.2 Swing session with the  420 tail again (with and without the shim - I wanted to check it both ways with some better wind).  Today was a really sweet 3.5 session.  I put on the 390 with no shim to check that out.  That is a killer combo. 

This thing is hysterical in swell.  It takes a minute to get used to the lack of deceleration.  It requires a whole new timing and a lot less angle.  Same with jibes.  It was 42 degrees and the water is down to 46.  My hands were in gloves and even so they were nearing bricked up.  Suffice it to say that may handwork was pretty sloppy.  Twice I passed the front handle, grabbed the rear only to realize that I had grabbed air with the front.  You how that ends.  Even so, you have a crazy amount of time to mess up, fix up and you are still maching. 

This is a keeper.  I am really stoked to see this line develop.  I will be first in line if they do do smaller sizes. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #562 on: November 28, 2020, 03:41:28 PM »
So what’s the difference you feel between shim, no shim and 390?

I haven’t done any experiments. I rode Evan’s setup (short fuse, 420 w/shim) and Nick’s setup (ultra short fuse, 370 tail). Evans was magic. Been riding it his way ever since.

BTW....burr

today here...on the larger HPS wing

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIJf4RgD9Au/?igshid=fvi12gqaqwru

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #563 on: November 29, 2020, 01:57:04 AM »
Nice image, D.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #564 on: November 29, 2020, 03:10:03 AM »
Beauty Dwight!

So what’s the difference you feel between shim, no shim and 390?

I haven’t done any experiments. I rode Evan’s setup (short fuse, 420 w/shim) and Nick’s setup (ultra short fuse, 370 tail). Evans was magic. Been riding it his way ever since.

With the 420 and shim I had to really stay on the front foot and move my rear foot closer than I like it.  It still felt right on the edge there.  I thought about sliding the mast back but it was cold and I decided to try no shim instead.  That leveled it out, smoothed it out and let me grab my usual stance (which is already pretty narrow now).  This one mast position works great for me with the 760 (standard fuselage) and 860 (short fuselage) so I like the idea of just slapping a prebuilt airplane (front, fuse and tail) on and going. 

Yesterday was a much higher quality day than the previous sessions, so I am not sure that it is fair to compare the 390 to the 420 based on that.  The river was edge to edge good and I was powered going into everything.  The channel was a super steady 28 and it was 18 to 25 by my launch.  I though I had noticed a little resistance to turns with the 420 on the junkier days but there was no hint of that yesterday with the 390.  Just really nice arcs.  I am not sure if the 390 has more native down angle than the 420.  It might, so it is possible that I am getting some of the shim effect with that one.  I am going to check that today just out of interest.  It definitely extends the foil base by 2 cm, so there is that as well. 

These are just details and early stream of consciousness thoughts after a few sessions.  I am not holding any of this as etched in stone.  I do know for sure that this is extremely cool stuff that is already delivering some sweet new sensations.

Today is supposed to be strong easterlies (it has been picking up all night) mid 40's and sunny.  Better bring the wetsuit in to dry.  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 03:12:12 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #565 on: November 29, 2020, 06:10:08 AM »
Good to compare notes Admin.

I’ll give some of my first impressions. First impressions are good to hear, because once I dial in, it becomes the norm, and I don’t notice little details anymore.

I ride 1/2” back in the tracks from my Armstrong setting. Back to where I was before, when riding Axis. Worthless bit of info for you, but maybe good for others.

Back when I was riding the 900 and 1000 with the 390 tail, I was wanting a smaller version of the 390 on windier days. The 390 was magic, but I topped out it’s limit.

I’m not feeling the 420 top out. It’s what I wanted way back then.

When I rode the bigger HPS paired with the 370 tail, it felt very draggy compared to the 420. It had the ultra short fuse on that setup. The ride was doing what I call hobby horsing. The up/down pulses coming from too much lift, going super fast, picking up too much energy, from the chopping surface. Going right back out in the same conditions with the short fuse, and 420, was a night and day different experience. No drag, fast, smooth, like a completely different foil.

On the final day of the demo, a rain storm killed the wind, when the first trickle of wind returned, I grabbed my 6m Ensis and the bigger HPS/short fuse/420 and went for a “try”. I was so lit, Jacky, a local kid, and Evan followed me out. Wind felt like it was blowing high teens the whole time. Meanwhile, I see all three people who followed me out there, standing still in no wind. At first I avoid sailing to where they are. Then I think, maybe I’m generating so much apparent wind, it’s not blowing high teens anywhere out here. I jibe around the three of them and keep going. I ride all around and jibe several more times around them, still standing still. Still feeling like it’s blowing high teens to me. Mind blown. 1460 sq cm is now my biggest foil for the lightest of days. If you have the skill to get a thin foil on foil, the wind is going to feel “very” windy once up. Crazy times.

A few days later, I’m on the 980, wind is 20 to 30, zooming upwind and wave riding downwind. Holding onto the 4.5 Ensis at the limit. Best day ever... I’m thinking. When we all gather on the beach after the session, people are talking about it being the worst day ever. 980 makes everything better.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 06:12:38 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #566 on: November 29, 2020, 07:08:46 AM »
Hobby horsing is a great way to put it.  I know that feeling exactly.  The 420 with a shim wasn't quite there but it was pulsing at speed and it just felt like it might push through (but never did).  Without the shim that was gone entirely, and yes, very fast.  I haven't tried to measure anything yet but I am sensing that this is the lowest angle difference that I have ridden.  I am not sure yet if the 390 felt any slower.  My first reaction was no, but the day was so much better that it is hard to separate that.  I can say this for sure, I am having zero complaints about either speed or glide.  Both are remarkable. 

At almost a meter wide I am offsetting my stance more.  It has been a few months since I have ridden anything wider than the 860 and I am relaxing into that extra width and enjoying it.  It adds a lot of lateral stability. 

The 1010 ended up feeling like too much wing for me and because of that I could never press it, so it wasn't that quick for me either.  I also struggled to turn it.  The 860 turns great, gets up really easily but isn't as quick as the 760.  The 760 is fast and turns great but it is a full concentration wing.  This one combines a lot of the best features of those wings.  I am guessing that a lot of that is coming from the new thin head and low angles. 

I completely agree with what you wrote about this being the season where we get our dream kits.  This one is an amazing start.  And there I was thinking that I was content and that this was going to be  a cheap year :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:19:13 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #567 on: November 29, 2020, 07:19:44 AM »
I like the lateral stability. Great for old man foot shuffles on the deck.

When i used to bitch about foils not turning like I wanted, it was never about the speed of roll rate. It was always about loss of speed through a turn, and not being predictable in roll rate.

The HPS solves all that in spades. I’m coming out of jibes with so much speed, I’ve had to change my wind wing handling and break bad habits. If I get sloppy with the wind wing, it will get slammed against my body by the extreme speed going though the jibe.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #568 on: November 29, 2020, 07:34:25 AM »
I’m coming out of jibes with so much speed, I’ve had to change my wind wing handling and break bad habits. If I get sloppy with the wind wing, it will get slammed against my body by the extreme speed going though the jibe.

Hah! I am having that exact same experience. I call that getting wallpapered and it was happening to me a lot on my 5 when I was operating on apparent wind.  Crazy.  How bout this one.  Your jibe is done, the wing is back in both hands, you are still facing downwind a little and you are going too fast to crank it back upwind.  I mean, we get used to the wing slowing down some and when it doesn't, well that's new.  That is similar to what I was trying to describe on about this foil on a Gorge swell.  Ridiculous speed and carry.  I need to learn to manage that :).   These are 1st world 980 problems

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #569 on: November 29, 2020, 08:06:31 AM »
I’m coming out of jibes with so much speed, I’ve had to change my wind wing handling and break bad habits. If I get sloppy with the wind wing, it will get slammed against my body by the extreme speed going though the jibe.

I call that getting wallpapered and it was happening to me a lot on my 5 when I was operating on apparent wind.  Crazy.  How bout this one.  Your jibe is done, the wing is back in both hands, you are still facing downwind a little and you are going too fast to crank it back upwind.  I mean, we get used to the wing slowing down some and when it doesn't, well that's new.  That is similar to what I was trying to describe on about this foil on a Gorge swell.  Ridiculous speed and carry.  I need to learn to manage that :).   These are 1st world 980 problems.

In kiting we call that the "gift wrap". It would happened to someone other than the pilot and  usually didn't end well. In winging can be turned into a fun maneuver ie, Starfish. I am really enjoying the comparative lack of danger in winging vs kiting. I don't miss all that string everywhere. And the access to rocky, weird launches!!! No problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal