Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 402945 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #480 on: October 21, 2020, 02:58:03 AM »
I guess it’s not a secret anymore. FLkiter has the 980 with the new fuse. It looks sexy. New fuse is bad ass in black with small head.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #481 on: October 21, 2020, 03:26:49 AM »
Stoked to see this one.  Sounds like a very quick combo with the new 420.  I wonder about sustain.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #482 on: October 21, 2020, 03:35:44 AM »
In testing the 1150, I asked Adrian if a 370 with less cord would speed up the foil while keeping lift in the turns. He said he had a rear wing in development to do that. So if you want some added speed, the 420 will give you that boost.

For the 980, I can't give much info on it yet but I feel it will be really well received.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #483 on: October 21, 2020, 06:27:00 AM »
High aspect and low volume/low surface area with large wingspan is the ticket for speed and efficiency for sure. Sounds like Axis is going the direction of a kiteracing/windfoil racing foil which will be nice to see. I'm sure Axis being in SF and seeing the Mike's Lab guys do their thing was an influence.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 21, 2020, 08:29:02 AM »
That’s disappointing. I want 30 inch wide wings. The 760 is my preferred wing currently. Wider wingspans are hard to control in white water. I keep holding out for something better but I should’ve just bought into the cloud9 f28 way back when at this rate.

Buying new wings and fuse is frustrating too. That’s half of a system right there.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #485 on: October 21, 2020, 08:47:45 AM »
Hi Hdip,

They really had to do another fuselage.  With the thickness of the current head they had limited themselves from being able to design thinner foils.  This will certainly result in a bunch of new designs.  I am stoked to hear that they are working on super high aspect but I am also hopeful for some new more neutral designs. 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #486 on: October 21, 2020, 11:03:57 AM »
Has anyone seen one in person to compare the 460 to the 420? According the the lift designer on the progression project. Winglets are exactly the same as having an extra inch of flat wing. Both the 460 and the 420 have the same chord. Is it just flipped tips? That would give you a bit better control over yaw. I wonder if the 420 is thinner though.
From Patrick (LAFC) - "Like the 460, but more bite in the turns. More hold. More drive."
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 21, 2020, 11:10:05 AM »

Kind of an apples and oranges comparison, no big surprises here, long and skinny glides further.  It's pretty easy to see he's working harder on the HS1850.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roccGJTaaEs&feature=youtu.be

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 21, 2020, 09:29:22 PM »
That’s disappointing. I want 30 inch wide wings. The 760 is my preferred wing currently. Wider wingspans are hard to control in white water. I keep holding out for something better but I should’ve just bought into the cloud9 f28 way back when at this rate.

Buying new wings and fuse is frustrating too. That’s half of a system right there.
Tend to agree except in my case was hoping for some new development in a big brother to the 760 & 860 in a 960 for us big guys for supfoiling and winging the waves, really like the existing Axis fuse and the head as especially for a heavier rider that fuse and head really helps stabilize the larger wings and such a primo connection,that said have not seen the new fuse yet but really hope Axis doesn’t ditch the current fuse in favor of all out direction change to these ultra HA wings and forgetting about development of the great surf 60 series and other lower aspect wings that kick ass in the waves,have yet to use/try a HA wing that carves and turns in decent waves like a real surf wing with utmost confidence just find the HA wings in decent surf can at times get a mind of there own at times n not the greatest way,however really like the 1150 for flatter lighter days winging and the new 420 looks intriguing for sure.guess if 2 for 1s and pumping around in flat water is your gig,surely the HA wing is king but for solid wave riding supfoiling and winging take a 860 /820 /920 or a new 960 any day
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 09:55:31 PM by paddlur »
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 24, 2020, 02:36:44 AM »
I have an Axis 76 cm carbon mast and I like it a lot for winging, to much wind her lately to try it supping.Hope it will be stiff enough!

Only thing I don't like is that to attach the fuse a 25 mm screw is a bit short and a 30 mm screw doesn't fit because it is too long.

I am looking for 27 or 28 mm screws but didn't find any. I could try to shorten a longer screw....

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 24, 2020, 03:52:24 PM »
I heard a rumor about a new large surf-style foil wing from Axis sized around 1850. Does anyone have any info on that model?

I also saw a rumor on a so-called new “Black” line/series. Any info on that?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 24, 2020, 05:14:10 PM »
Just what you see at the bottom of the last page in this thread. That's the newest wing I've heard rumors of.

I haven't heard of any new surf specific wings personally.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #492 on: October 25, 2020, 09:55:26 AM »
I heard a rumor about a new large surf-style foil wing from Axis sized around 1850. Does anyone have any info on that model?

No info on either, but good golly, what a mistake an 1850 "large surf-style foil wing from Axis" would be.

Hell, they already have large surf-style foil wings that handle the smallest of minuscule surf bumps out there. Can't imagine needing an over 6' wing in the surf, and if they're talking 1850cm2 in area...they already have the 920 (@1852) and the 1020 (@2051).

So I don't get it if that "rumor" is indeed true. :-\

Now I did see/hear that they have a super large surf HA-style foil wing they're out playing with. But whether or not that ever comes to fruition as an actual model in their line is still a little ways off I'd imagine. 🤫
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 27, 2020, 02:32:25 AM »
The “980”, 7.8ish AR wing discussed above will apparently require a new style fuse so it’s a $1000+ investment. I’ll have to see what that wing mount looks like and likely even demo it. The main reason I went with Axis was the surface area of that Front wing mount.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #494 on: October 27, 2020, 03:35:42 AM »

No info on either, but good golly, what a mistake an 1850 "large surf-style foil wing from Axis" would be.

Hell, they already have large surf-style foil wings that handle the smallest of minuscule surf bumps out there. Can't imagine needing an over 6' wing in the surf, and if they're talking 1850cm2 in area...they already have the 920 (@1852) and the 1020 (@2051).

So I don't get it if that "rumor" is indeed true. :-\

Now I did see/hear that they have a super large surf HA-style foil wing they're out playing with. But whether or not that ever comes to fruition as an actual model in their line is still a little ways off I'd imagine. 🤫

No inside info at all here but I am imagining that Axis was feeling a little boxed in by their current fuselage thickness.  Great wings already for sure but there are only so many dimensions to work with and if one of them has a hard limit...

If they have indeed done a thinner fuselage (and likely new hardware would be required) then I imagine that we would see some revisiting of older designs with a new freedom.  This could result in some terrific new wings for the upcoming season.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal