Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403064 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #420 on: September 13, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »
After seeing a guy with a stingray barb completely through his foot I'd be bringing a rake with me if I were in a place where a stingray had ever been seen. .
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 13, 2020, 06:56:47 PM »
tried the 1150 today with the 90 mast, gave the 1150 for me a whole new for the better performance in the ocean it’s becoming a much better friend to me with that mast in short interval windswell than with shorter 75,if you have decent windswell and no issue with depths it’s the way to go winging shoulda known by my kitefoiling experience but was kinda going on my supfoil experience  instincts on my usual 29” mast length thinking it was the golden rule similarily to winging,Nope not if your local conditions have choppy and sp windswell much better IMO the 90,like I said before if Axis made one for me a 32-33” would be the dope optimum! but get me wrong still really like the 75 too in smoother conditions.I rode the 920 yesterday with the 90 and still so stoked on how well it was working,we’re just scratching the surface in this new wind sport so nice to find new better ways to configure all our gear to make things work better for our personal preferences albeit with more frigging $ spent
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 13, 2020, 09:47:26 PM »
Fortunately, aluminum masts are cheap. Unfortunately, the carbon ones aren't. Admin and Chan swear by the carbon 96. I've had one on order for a month or so. Hope see it in October.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #423 on: September 14, 2020, 03:28:42 AM »
Yes, the 96 cm masts have been excellent.  We had the 76 cm carbon masts and haven't used them since we switched up.  The longer masts add another level of freedom that was very unexpected to me.  I expected to blow through less but it is what they do when turning that is really liberating.  We have some 106's on order and I am interested how those go.  It would be different if we were in surf or shallow water but for Gorge/Baja use?  No contest.

It does seem like an underthought match to have foil lengths longer than mast lengths.  Breaching wingtips is never an issue on foils of any design with a wingspan at 86 or lower with a 96 mast. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 03:32:16 AM by Admin »

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #424 on: September 14, 2020, 11:12:49 AM »
Are any here familiar with whether Axis has plans to introduce a lighter fuselage (e.g. carbon)? Anyone think they shouldn't?

Also, I believe I heard here that have announced introduction of carbon mast(s) with length intermediary between 76 and 96?
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #425 on: September 14, 2020, 12:06:18 PM »
Are any here familiar with whether Axis has plans to introduce a lighter fuselage (e.g. carbon)? Anyone think they shouldn't?

Also, I believe I heard here that have announced introduction of carbon mast(s) with length intermediary between 76 and 96?

I would be happy to see a carbon fuselage. As of June both 106 and 86 cm masts were expected this month. 

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 14, 2020, 07:09:27 PM »

I would be happy to see a carbon fuselage. As of June both 106 and 86 cm masts were expected this month.
Admin don’t see it on the site,a 106 and 86 in carbon?just see 76 and 96? Man they sure ain’t cheap $800 for a mast yikes,but if a 86 becomes available I probably gonna bite thanks to my recent love affair with the 19mm X 90cm,how’s the stiffness of that CF mast Admin anywhere close to the 19mm aluminum,as that’s one thing I really like about the 19mm alum mast they are just pretty much the stiffest mast I’ve ever tried and I have tried many for my 225lbs tonnage one of the outstanding qualities of the Axis foils

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 03, 2020, 07:38:24 PM »
Stoked just got my 82cm 19mm alum mast surprisingly as thought they were way out on the horizon as pretty sure that’s gonna be the dakine set up for me for sup and winging can’t wait to have a go. my75cm mast here might be getting a rest shortly, thanks to the steamroller for the Picts Clint one of the most talented foilers,kiters all around waterman I know who some how gets these shots while kiting with a frigging longboard and kiting at the same time multi tasking making it look easy NOT so easy!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #428 on: October 04, 2020, 02:57:34 AM »
Admin don’t see it on the site,a 106 and 86 in carbon? Just see 76 and 96? Man they sure ain’t cheap $800 for a mast yikes,but if a 86 becomes available I probably gonna bite thanks to my recent love affair with the 19mm X 90cm,how’s the stiffness of that CF mast Admin anywhere close to the 19mm aluminum,as that’s one thing I really like about the 19mm alum mast they are just pretty much the stiffest mast I’ve ever tried and I have tried many for my 225lbs tonnage one of the outstanding qualities of the Axis foils

Paddlur, I haven't heard anything on the upcoming masts, just the original email that they were coming.  I don't feel any flex while riding but I wing only and I am about 178 right now.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 04, 2020, 05:18:13 PM »
Admin don’t see it on the site,a 106 and 86 in carbon? Just see 76 and 96? Man they sure ain’t cheap $800 for a mast yikes,but if a 86 becomes available I probably gonna bite thanks to my recent love affair with the 19mm X 90cm,how’s the stiffness of that CF mast Admin anywhere close to the 19mm aluminum,as that’s one thing I really like about the 19mm alum mast they are just pretty much the stiffest mast I’ve ever tried and I have tried many for my 225lbs tonnage one of the outstanding qualities of the Axis foils

Paddlur, I haven't heard anything on the upcoming masts, just the original email that they were coming.  I don't feel any flex while riding but I wing only and I am about 178 right now.
Looking forward to trying the 82cm alum mast should be just fine for a big guy can’t beat the rigidity of the axis alum mast,but that being said like to try the CF 82 too for sure but guess there a ways out.On another note today had a great supfoil session on the 820 it kicks ass love it was  1st day of hurricane Marie swell was smoking and that 820 just exceeded my expectations excellent supfoil wing for decent size surf really like my 920 on smaller days,but can’t say enough about the 820 it gives my usual GF supfoil wings a run for the money then some extremely stoked on it can you tell👍

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #430 on: October 04, 2020, 07:11:25 PM »

I have been told by Axis that there is no carbon fuselage planned  :'(
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #431 on: October 05, 2020, 01:49:56 AM »
Looking forward to trying the 82cm alum mast should be just fine for a big guy can’t beat the rigidity of the axis alum mast,but that being said like to try the CF 82 too for sure but guess there a ways out.On another note today had a great supfoil session on the 820 it kicks ass love it was  1st day of hurricane Marie swell was smoking and that 820 just exceeded my expectations excellent supfoil wing for decent size surf really like my 920 on smaller days,but can’t say enough about the 820 it gives my usual GF supfoil wings a run for the money then some extremely stoked on it can you tell👍

I can't imagine riding here with a shorter mast now.  Yesterday we had 25-35 conditions and really good swell.  I was maxed on a 3.5 and that 96 cm mast lets you set your height and play.  Longer masts are the norm here now.  I am seeing a lot of the kids on masts over 100.  It just makes sense here.  Of course we have no reef or shorebreak so that makes the decision a lot easier.  :)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #432 on: October 07, 2020, 06:02:07 AM »
I think Admin is onto something, switching to the carbon mast.

After 2 months on a carbon mast (different brand), then riding aluminum yesterday, I was shocked by the dead and heavy feel.

I doubt I could tell the difference taking a single carbon test ride, after being on aluminum full time. But the reverse, 2 months on carbon, then aluminum....OMG

Just FYI, if you have the cash, get the Axis carbon mast.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #433 on: October 07, 2020, 09:06:37 AM »
I doubt I could tell the difference taking a single carbon test ride, after being on aluminum full time. But the reverse, 2 months on carbon, then aluminum....OMG
Oh you can feel it almost right away in the surf if you're trying to really push it in the turns, and so I'm just the opposite of you wrt loving my aluminum over the CF masts I've had (or demoed).

All three of the different branded CF masts I've surfed have all had too much torsional flex that now (didn't realize it until after finally getting on aluminum) I find to be much less responsive (a fraction of a second off for the wing to follow the board in the start of the turn) than the instantaneous input feel I get with the Axis aluminum mast, and then when that torsional flex "releases(?)" I can feel that as kind of a quick bobble before returning to normal/straight again...neither of which I like at all.

Maybe on smaller prone or wing boards, or when only doing longer carving turns with a wingding it's not felt, but on a bigger (6'x28") SUP...it's definitely noticeable almost right away. Oh, and there's only a 10oz difference from my old Go Foil 29.5" Tuttle mast/fuse and adapter base plate compared to my current 75cm Axis aluminum mast/fuse and base plate...that to me is far more less noticeable (like not at all) than the huge amount of difference in the - in my case unwanted - flex between the CF and aluminum masts.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 07, 2020, 10:56:17 AM »
From my personal experience. Started on Naish, went to Lift, now on AXIS.

When I first got on lift at a beachbreak with a lot of current the mast flex was VERY noticeable and annoying. Then I got used to the flex. Learned how to load it up in a bottom turn. Specifically backside. Very good projection after loading it up.

First thing I noticed getting on AXIS (I'm on the 16mm mast) was I couldn't load it up the same way and backside bottom turns were a bit different. It does seem to respond faster though, you don't have to wait for a load and release. Paddling in current is a bit nicer.

I can get used to either. I miss the simplicity of carbon masts with all the pieces attached.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal