Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 402960 times)

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #405 on: September 04, 2020, 03:20:03 PM »
Actually, any of the Axis stabilizers shimmed to 3 degrees works fine IMHO. I don't know why Adrian is designing them with 5 degrees of incidence angle. Maybe the idea is that beginners will get up early and more experienced folks will shim them.

This just clicked in my head today. I have an Axis setup. 900/760 front wings. Only have the 370 stabilizer. I have 1 shim in there under the front screw. https://axisfoils.com/collections/foil-parts-accessories/products/axis-foils-3d-printing-files-1-degree-rear-wing That one specifically.

Are you saying I should have 2 or 3 shims stacked on top of each other in there?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 04, 2020, 08:43:07 PM »
Try two and see what you think. You'll probably find you need to move your front foot back a bunch. If you're using a front strap you might not be able to reach it. My front foot is about an inch behind the furthest back screw hole for my front strap.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 04, 2020, 10:29:18 PM »
Sweet! I'm on a prone 4'8" no straps. I have a total of 3 shims. So 2 are going in for next session. 3 will be experimented with too. I'm trying to figure out how to make the 760 project forward on the pump like the 900 does. If I can crack that code I'll be in love with it.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #408 on: September 06, 2020, 04:21:29 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how to make the 760 project forward on the pump like the 900 does. If I can crack that code I'll be in love with it.

Did you try the standard fuselage?  I was pushing through the (390 in my case) stabilizer on the 760 with the Ultra Short, OK on the Short, but normal powerful feeling pumps on the Standard.  The 760 is loose enough that the extra fuselage length is unnoticeable.  Shimming the stabilizer hadn't helped pumping but the extra fuselage length straightened it right out.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #409 on: September 07, 2020, 06:26:38 PM »
Here is what the 1150 can do in garbage surf. This is flkiter

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE210haDGhA/?igshid=fw763447tmu7

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 08, 2020, 02:44:45 PM »
Did you try the standard fuselage?  I was pushing through the (390 in my case) stabilizer on the 760 with the Ultra Short, OK on the Short, but normal powerful feeling pumps on the Standard.  The 760 is loose enough that the extra fuselage length is unnoticeable.  Shimming the stabilizer hadn't helped pumping but the extra fuselage length straightened it right out.

Nope I just have the ultra short fuselage.

Paddled out with the 760 and 2 shims in under the front screw 370 stabilizer. Rode 3 waves. Went in and took one shim out. No lift and drag with 2 shims in. 1 shim works pretty well.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 08, 2020, 04:55:57 PM »
  It takes a while to get used to a lower angle stabilizer. It won't come up as easily, but once you're up, you're good. You'll also have to find where your feet need to be. In my experience, reducing the stabilizer angle radically changes foot position. I took my shim out two days ago because I was struggling to get my 860 up with a 4.2 wing in variable wind. I got it up easier but hated the result--much higher foot pressure and I had to move both feet forward. Even with the foot change the wing was constantly hunting. Made a beeline for the beach and put my shim back in.

And no, I didn't take the time to work out the new foot position. I wanted to foil. It was a silly experiment to begin with.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 08, 2020, 06:09:30 PM »
Yeah I would've had to move the foil forward in the tracks. I'll look at the surfline rewind and see if I notice anything different. 1 Shim and the 760 worked good today though.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #413 on: September 09, 2020, 01:13:55 AM »
Paddled out with the 760 and 2 shims in under the front screw 370 stabilizer. Rode 3 waves. Went in and took one shim out. No lift and drag with 2 shims in. 1 shim works pretty well.

The Standard may be just the thing.  It doesn't give the 760 a restricted feeling but it does allow you to push hard on your back foot.  I love that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 09, 2020, 06:30:03 AM »
Yeah I would've had to move the foil forward in the tracks. I'll look at the surfline rewind and see if I notice anything different. 1 Shim and the 760 worked good today though.

Yes, I run my foils pushed all the way forward.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 12, 2020, 09:09:56 PM »

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 13, 2020, 09:06:15 AM »
Was wondering if a few of you Axis riders have tried the 90cm mast yet as tried mine out yesterday and really liked it in the ocean with decent short interval wind swell thought it was a improvement over the usual 75cm in the swells much less chance of breaching less touches of top of swells on bottom of board and a real nice Cadillac kinda cruisey feeling.Being a longtime kite foiler can’t believe I never tried yet kind of kicking myself in the ass as it’s just been sitting in the garage really enjoyed its performance seems like it’s the way to go in choppy short interval stuff with no shallow worries,would imagine be the go to for you gorge riders.optimally for me would be a 32-33” mast be perfect for me wish Axis would make one don’t understand why they don’t should be a option for one,and while I’m at my Axis wishlist a new 960 wing for us larger riders would be sweet too! Curious of any you Axis riders try it out as if your riding in choppy stuff really is a step up in performance IMO was real positive first try session for me winging personally
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 13, 2020, 09:22:30 AM »
Admin and Chan were on 90+ masts early on, and still are (96 carbon). I thought they were nuts, and like you, I had a 90 in my shop for months and never tried it. I finally did and started kicking myself. It's not just the overfoiling prevention(actually, I still manage to do that but just fall farther) it's the skate-y feeling. Especially with an 860, but really with any wing--I can dance on the damned thing.

There is no hint that something like this is feasible. When I went from a 24 to a 29" GoFoil mast the only benefit was fewer breaches, at least it was until I got used to being higher, and the breaching recommenced. I had a 60" Axis mast, which I used fairly often. Jumping to 75--no change other than less breaching. Jump to 90 and holy shit!

I didn't understand why, and I still don't, but I've switched back to 75 a few times and it's like someone cranked the fun control way down. Weird, but OK. Now we know.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 13, 2020, 11:02:07 AM »
Yup, been loving the 90 for winging. I've got an 82cm mast that I got from Dwight. Pretty sure he bent a 90, and cut it down to get it straight again. I'll be using it for prone foiling bigger waves this winter. Was using it for winging for a bit, then decided to go to the 90 and love the extra couple inches.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #419 on: September 13, 2020, 12:22:14 PM »
Nope, I bought a 90 specifically to cut to 82. 90 is too long for the banana river.

I’m riding 85 now and getting trapped occasionally in stingray flats dragging sea grass and walking out. Not a fun place to be walking.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 12:30:01 PM by Dwight (DW) »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal