Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403045 times)

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #390 on: August 27, 2020, 09:33:26 AM »
I had an awesome session today, split between the 1150 and the 860..... I need to stop having so much fun and make myself learn to jibe and sail toeside and heelside. But hell, that was just so great i wasn't really worried.

Pain is the only thing that nudges me out of my fun/comfort zone. I spent a fair bit of the waveless portions of downwinders this week forcing myself to ride goofy foot, such a relief to the right side of my lower body.

Yesterday was certainly the best filled in wind of the week. Monday and Tuesday had just patches and streaks up in the Viento-Mitchell stretch though pretty great from Swell on down. Did a double Drano-White Salmon run on Tuesday, the swim to get under the bridge at Drano is no fun but the current helps a bit. I just put the wing leash on my ankle, turn my harness hook around to my back and prone paddle out. The takeout sucks even more than the put in come to think of it ::)

Of course I'd love to try that 1150 one day Bill, thanks! I feel like I have a pretty good wing  for the higher speed crazy stuff in my Gong L Pro setup, may end up leaving things as is for now with Axis. Still want to try downwind foil suping again and have a slightly larger board ordered but it won't see the Gorge until spring. Feel like I may need at least an 1150 to get me flying without tearing my shoulders up.

Crap... it's already gusting to 24 at 9am, this week is gonna kill me ;D

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #391 on: August 28, 2020, 05:57:09 AM »
this week is gonna kill me ;D

Me too.  Man am I beat!  The 760 has been saving me from the 12 to 35 blasty days.  I am getting tugged all over the place on the surface and this thing stays collected underwater.  It doesn't seem to care if I am screwing up and going 6 mph or if I am maxed out in a blast.  I would be getting destroyed on a big wing.

It makes me wonder where we are heading foil wise in this wingfoiling (that is what I am calling it today) evolution.  A friend here that is a little heavier than me is riding the F-one 62 cm 800 cm squared on windy days and 66 cm 1000 cm squared on light days.  Those are very thin "kiting" wings.  He isn't pumping like crazy to get them moving either. 

I want to catch a ride on that 66 for sure.  The Axis 660 surprised me in how easily it took off in normal winds.  It didn't feel like it was approaching any kind of low limit for my weight.  It has a very specialized design that I didn't love for winging but that didn't feel like a size issue. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 05:58:47 AM by Admin »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #392 on: August 30, 2020, 04:57:10 PM »
this week is gonna kill me ;D

Me too.  Man am I beat!  The 760 has been saving me from the 12 to 35 blasty days.  I am getting tugged all over the place on the surface and this thing stays collected underwater.  It doesn't seem to care if I am screwing up and going 6 mph or if I am maxed out in a blast.  I would be getting destroyed on a big wing.

It makes me wonder where we are heading foil wise in this wingfoiling (that is what I am calling it today) evolution.  A friend here that is a little heavier than me is riding the F-one 62 cm 800 cm squared on windy days and 66 cm 1000 cm squared on light days.  Those are very thin "kiting" wings.  He isn't pumping like crazy to get them moving either. 

I want to catch a ride on that 66 for sure.  The Axis 660 surprised me in how easily it took off in normal winds.  It didn't feel like it was approaching any kind of low limit for my weight.  It has a very specialized design that I didn't love for winging but that didn't feel like a size issue.
Did you mean, you would be getting destroyed on a big (foil rather than a wing?)  Also, while I've been enjoying the 1010 Axis on the straights, I'm still having issues with my jibe.  Should I put my 920 foil back on?  I have a 400 tail.  Thanks Admin.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 30, 2020, 05:21:52 PM »
Today was so weird. Other than getting cold, I switched from the 860 to the 1000 and had this very strange sense of pumping off the surface mostly with the foil. I don't fknow if i've been training myself with the 860, or what's going on, but I was pumping the wing lightly (5.0M) and pumping the foil hard, and the foil came up more or less independent of what I was doing with the wing. Very strange feeling. I would have explored it in greater detail but I froze my ass off and had to come in. Summer's over. I think the shorty 2/3 is going to get a chance to dry completely and out comes the 3/4 full suit with fucking hood and everything.

I came home and cooked up a storm--Filet mignon on the barbie, dry sauteed string beans in a soy/red wine reduction, Mushrooms with Dukkah and late harvest riesling, Caprese salad with heirloom tomatoes, capped by strawberry shortcake with Hood River nectarine drizzle. My baking powder biscuits for shortcake have gone from good to "holy shit those are fucking amazing"!

A couple of glasses of spectacular Analemma Mencia and I'm ready for a nap. I'm almost warmed up. If you're in the northwest and you don't know about Analemma wines, shame on you, and you're in for a treat. It's like Hood River Peaches--they don't get very far from Hood River because we eat them all (or in this case, drink it all). There are two places on the planet that i know of where you can get Mencia--Glacia in Spain near the Portugese border, and Mosier, Oregon.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #394 on: August 30, 2020, 10:13:30 PM »
Today was so weird. Other than getting cold, I switched from the 860 to the 1000 and had this very strange sense of pumping off the surface mostly with the foil. I don't fknow if i've been training myself with the 860, or what's going on, but I was pumping the wing lightly (5.0M) and pumping the foil hard, and the foil came up more or less independent of what I was doing with the wing. Very strange feeling. I would have explored it in greater detail but I froze my ass off and had to come in. Summer's over. I think the shorty 2/3 is going to get a chance to dry completely and out comes the 3/4 full suit with fucking hood and everything.

I came home and cooked up a storm--Filet mignon on the barbie, dry sauteed string beans in a soy/red wine reduction, Mushrooms with Dukkah and late harvest riesling, Caprese salad with heirloom tomatoes, capped by strawberry shortcake with Hood River nectarine drizzle. My baking powder biscuits for shortcake have gone from good to "holy shit those are fucking amazing"!

A couple of glasses of spectacular Analemma Mencia and I'm ready for a nap. I'm almost warmed up. If you're in the northwest and you don't know about Analemma wines, shame on you, and you're in for a treat. It's like Hood River Peaches--they don't get very far from Hood River because we eat them all (or in this case, drink it all). There are two places on the planet that i know of where you can get Mencia--Glacia in Spain near the Portugese border, and Mosier, Oregon.
But the water is warmer here.  Get back Jo Jo.  I miss you

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #395 on: August 31, 2020, 12:43:14 AM »
Did you mean, you would be getting destroyed on a big (foil rather than a wing?)  Also, while I've been enjoying the 1010 Axis on the straights, I'm still having issues with my jibe.  Should I put my 920 foil back on?  I have a 400 tail.  Thanks Admin.

Sorry, that does get confusing.  Yes, I meant that I would have been getting bucked around on a bigger hydrofoil.

I would put the 920 on to help with jibes.  It is so smooth and stable and it turns exactly as expected.  The 1010 has its own turn and it really only wants to be turned one way (for me).  The 920/400 will accept a lot.  That is a great kit to work out the final steps of jibing on.  It also banks a turn basically like the other Axis wings (aside from the 1010 and that series) which I view as its own deal.

I saw your jibe on FB.  You are right on the brink.  There is no way that doesn't happen for you this month. 

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #396 on: August 31, 2020, 07:21:45 AM »
Sorry, that does get confusing.  Yes, I meant that I would have been getting bucked around on a bigger hydrofoil.

I've been confused by this before. I would propose that we stop using "wing" for the foil and just call it the "foil".

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 31, 2020, 07:39:18 AM »

But the water is warmer here.  Get back Jo Jo.  I miss you

Not until Hawaii gets their COVID shit together. Diane is being super careful, Type 1 diabetics don't do well with COVID and Maui's medical facilities...
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #398 on: September 01, 2020, 11:07:02 AM »

I would put the 920 on to help with jibes.  It is so smooth and stable and it turns exactly as expected.  The 1010 has its own turn and it really only wants to be turned one way (for me).  The 920/400 will accept a lot.  That is a great kit to work out the final steps of jibing on.  It also banks a turn basically like the other Axis wings (aside from the 1010 and that series) which I view as its own deal.

I saw your jibe on FB.  You are right on the brink.  There is no way that doesn't happen for you this month.
Thanks Admin.  Your positivity is refreshing.  And thanks for this forum.  it's a wealth of info.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 01, 2020, 10:05:57 PM »
More from the Foiling NY guy. Not too surprising conclusion in this one though in the comments he mentions testing carving of the 1150/460 combo in the next video. The side by side comparisons make the differences so obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUgfmvJLGy0

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 01, 2020, 10:57:54 PM »
Tried the 900 and the 760 foils with the wing today. Really liked both! (Short fuse, 390 stab, 170lbs) Took the 900 out first and it just felt stable and smooth. Wind was blowing pretty good, and there was a lil swell to play with. Was having a blast! Then went in and switched to the 760, definitely had to pump a bit more to get up on foil, but once I was up it felt great. Admin I see why you like it! Was carving around all over the place. I can't wait for the next windy day with some real swell to play around on! Have you tried any other tail combos? Might throw the 460 on next time. Speed it up a bit.

Yesterday was also real windy, so I grabbed my 50 something liter 5'10 prone board to see if I could get up on it. Knee starting was definitely hard, but when the wind cooperated I was able to get up fairly easily. I had the 1010 foil on, and frankly just felt a little out of control with that foil, a smaller volume board, and the real gusty wind. Was planning on trying again today with a 30L prone board and a front strap, but I was having too much fun with the 760 foil to go in and torture myself on a little board. Haha next time!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #401 on: September 02, 2020, 12:27:39 AM »
Hi Big,

No, I only have the 390 stabilizers right now.  I have tried the 390 shimmed up and down a degree (and both were worse for me than the stock angle).  I'll be stoked to know how your other tails work on it.  I have also tried it on the Standard, Short and Ultra Short fuselages.  This is a much more subtle difference but I think the Standard is my favorite.  On the shorter ones, I am riding my back foot more and on the standard it is easy balance.  Chan took the 760 yesterday (she loves it as well) and I grabbed the 860 on the Ultra Short Fuselage.  That is also a super fun wing.  It was jamming 3.5 though with really good swell and angle. 

After my session I did my second waterstart (attempt) drift of the season.  This was on a 24 liter/3'10 board.  We have a super easy drift that is a couple hundred yards long with a pre-shame walk so you end up at home.  Easy enough to get on the board squatting in the straps, and get the wing in hand and flying.  Sheeting in to bring the nose downwind was dipping the nose too deep and dropping me every time.  I have a 26 liter board with more nose that I am going to try next.  Getting on the board this way and flying the wing is so nice in comparison to my kneestart process.  It would be a dream to work this out. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:29:52 AM by Admin »

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 03, 2020, 08:13:37 PM »
Hey can we get all the larger riders here to petition Adrian to make a 960 for us big guys that would be my wing,buy one tomorrow🙏Hope Axis is listening, no in all seriousness a big brother to the 860 would be sweet👍
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #403 on: September 04, 2020, 03:09:49 AM »
More from the Foiling NY guy. Not too surprising conclusion in this one though in the comments he mentions testing carving of the 1150/460 combo in the next video. The side by side comparisons make the differences so obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUgfmvJLGy0

I wonder how much of that is the Fuselage change.  He ended up liking the Standard fuselage the most even with these big wings. 

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 04, 2020, 10:57:32 AM »

I wonder how much of that is the Fuselage change.  He ended up liking the Standard fuselage the most even with these big wings.

Yes, I'm thinking the standard fuse is making a big difference there, certainly affects cadence though doesn't make sense that it could increase actual length of glide. Just more leverage per pump. He seemed to have come to the conclusion the 910/370 combo was the new favorite and that seemed to be because of the turning radius. Would have to think the 1150/460 standard fuse setup would not be nearly as agile though for his purposes worth the tradeoff. Maybe mine too although I'm thinking 1010/460 short fuse as my compromise compared to the 1010/390 U-short I'm used to. The U-short takes 10 minutes every session to get used to, maybe there's no advantage for my general use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal