Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 402963 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #375 on: August 24, 2020, 11:18:45 AM »
Thanks AGK! I don't anticipate it to be "easy", as I don't have any prior wind sports experience of any kind, so have no idea how I'm going to handle the - what seems on dry land - unmanageable giant wing out there on the water.  Which stab to pair with it, the 440 for added lift (and maybe added stability)?
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 24, 2020, 11:52:30 AM »
OK, so it looks like I might be blowing up the GONG 7M in the not too distant future (hell, maybe even later today), and I'm seeing a lot of discussion wrt the three different wings I have right now, and wondering everyone's opinion on which one I should bolt on first for my maiden voyage. Quick back story of my feelings wrt the wings used in the surf already w/o a wingding.

So the 900/460 on an ultra short fuse is the setup of choice right now for speed and maneuverability (the 460 and ultra were borrowed but on order the minute I got home...the 390 w/shim is also an absolute stellar backup go to almost equally as fun). Seems that the faster/harder you push it, the better it locks in and turns...makes the 6' board feel like what I'd imagine a prone foiler is feeling. Biggest surprise was that it catches waves better than any of the other GF wings I rode, as it paddles fast and lifts easily, like pushing the "UP" button on an elevator. Have had it in knee waves that I never imagined I'd ever get it off the water on, and had an absolute blast with it.

The 1000/440 on short fuse was fun in that knee high stuff as well, and while it pumped easier heading back out (I only tested it just to see the differences, bad knees and back limit my pumping, and attempts on connecting waves...IOWs, I don't even try any longer), and was only slightly easier getting into waves than the 900...but with what I lost in speed and maneuverability - and the fact that the 900 pops into just about anything anyways - I used it just a couple times, and thought I'd just keep it for winging...for now.

The 920 I've not bolted on yet, since it looks like such a big neanderthal snow plow, much like the Maliko 200 or Armstrong 1850 that I have no desire in trying to push the tractor through the turns when I drive the sports car through them. But thought that maybe as a starter wingding thing it might be useful, and why I bought it, and carry it around in the van with me.

So, forecast for 14 mph winds later this afternoon, and looks like some wingding things will get blown up on the beach. What say you all wrt the first wing combo that I should bolt up to go with the GONG 7M for the first go out? You have to choose from the - 900, 920, 1000 fronts, and 390 (w or w/o shim), 400, 440 stabs - with only a "short" fuse to put them on at the moment.

TIA
With your weight Sano I’d go with the 920 for maiden voyage with the 7m wing think you will have more success with the LA 920 than the HA 1000 especially in the ocean you have to try the 920 supfoiling I did that last S swell and was pretty impressed with it as I usually ride GF M200 and Iwa supfoiling and the 920 is very close to the M200 but bit faster and little less drag bit more stealthy than the M200 really like it supfoiling and winging just very surfy flowy I just need bit more wind for my 920 maybe today when this tropical remnant hurricane weather blows out of here they say,however if your at a flat water spot maybe go with the 1000 as your used to it but think for learning you be better served with the 920 at 185# especially in the ocean and still a bit of S swell lingering today here in VC,you got to try the 920 when you get a chance supfoiling really great wing IMO but I’m 225 though underrated Axis wing for the waves sup and winging
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 24, 2020, 12:01:49 PM »
OK, so it looks like I might be blowing up the GONG 7M in the not too distant future (hell, maybe even later today), and I'm seeing a lot of discussion wrt the three different wings I have right now, and wondering everyone's opinion on which one I should bolt on first for my maiden voyage. Quick back story of my feelings wrt the wings used in the surf already w/o a wingding.

So the 900/460 on an ultra short fuse is the setup of choice right now for speed and maneuverability (the 460 and ultra were borrowed but on order the minute I got home...the 390 w/shim is also an absolute stellar backup go to almost equally as fun). Seems that the faster/harder you push it, the better it locks in and turns...makes the 6' board feel like what I'd imagine a prone foiler is feeling. Biggest surprise was that it catches waves better than any of the other GF wings I rode, as it paddles fast and lifts easily, like pushing the "UP" button on an elevator. Have had it in knee waves that I never imagined I'd ever get it off the water on, and had an absolute blast with it.

The 1000/440 on short fuse was fun in that knee high stuff as well, and while it pumped easier heading back out (I only tested it just to see the differences, bad knees and back limit my pumping, and attempts on connecting waves...IOWs, I don't even try any longer), and was only slightly easier getting into waves than the 900...but with what I lost in speed and maneuverability - and the fact that the 900 pops into just about anything anyways - I used it just a couple times, and thought I'd just keep it for winging...for now.

The 920 I've not bolted on yet, since it looks like such a big neanderthal snow plow, much like the Maliko 200 or Armstrong 1850 that I have no desire in trying to push the tractor through the turns when I drive the sports car through them. But thought that maybe as a starter wingding thing it might be useful, and why I bought it, and carry it around in the van with me.

So, forecast for 14 mph winds later this afternoon, and looks like some wingding things will get blown up on the beach. What say you all wrt the first wing combo that I should bolt up to go with the GONG 7M for the first go out? You have to choose from the - 900, 920, 1000 fronts, and 390 (w or w/o shim), 400, 440 stabs - with only a "short" fuse to put them on at the moment.

TIA
With your weight Sano I’d go with the 920 for maiden voyage with the 7m wing think you will have more success with the LA 920 than the HA 1000 especially in the ocean you have to try the 920 supfoiling I did that last S swell and was pretty impressed with it as I usually ride GF M200 and Iwa supfoiling and the 920 is very close to the M200 but bit faster and little less drag bit more stealthy than the M200 really like it supfoiling and winging just very surfy flowy I just need bit more wind for my 920 maybe today when this tropical remnant hurricane weather blows out of here they say,however if your at a flat water spot maybe go with the 1000 as your used to it but think for learning you be better served with the 920 at 185# especially in the ocean and still a bit of S swell lingering today here in VC,you got to try the 920 when you get a chance supfoiling really great wing IMO but I’m 225 though underrated Axis wing for the waves sup and winging,l take your down in OC co. You really have to consider a 1020 for winging to have in your wing quiver for learning winging you will progress much faster in the lighter winds there,and you can easily re sell if you outgrow it,I still have a blast with the 1020 especially in the ocean.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 24, 2020, 12:20:31 PM »
So, forecast for 14 mph winds later this afternoon, a

TIA

As someone who only tried on his prone sinker board. I say wait for more wind. 14 MPH is 12 knots? That's the lower end of what people who know what they're doing ride in. Wait for a 20 knot day to make sure you'll get up.

Also if you got hit in the chest by the stab just walking out with a paddle in your hand, make sure you plan your entry and exit very carefully dragging a huge wing and trying to keep a foil away from it. :)

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #379 on: August 24, 2020, 12:23:55 PM »
Thanks AGK! I don't anticipate it to be "easy", as I don't have any prior wind sports experience of any kind, so have no idea how I'm going to handle the - what seems on dry land - unmanageable giant wing out there on the water.  Which stab to pair with it, the 440 for added lift (and maybe added stability)?

Hey Sano ---  I would guess the 440 would be very slightly easier.  But I went from a 500 to a 400 on the 1020 without noticing a hell of a lot of difference in takeoff difficulty (and a definite improvement in turning and speed). My opinion (Axis experts please correct me) is that the stab choice among those three is way less important than the front wing choice -- but for a maiden voyage I'd still go with the 440.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 24, 2020, 12:38:05 PM »
I'm a newbie with the wing(170lbs).  Did a couple sessions with the 920, then took the 1000 out (390 stab for both).  Really liked the 1000 when there was plenty of wind.  Though the last couple of sessions the wind was lighter with plenty of holes in it.  Kind of struggled.  Yesterday I put the 920 back on, because the wind looked pretty light again, and had my best session yet.  It's definitely slower than the 1000, but that just makes everything easier.  Get's up easier, and the transitions felt easier as well.  Had some of my best jibes to date!  Starting out, use the 920.  Once you have things figured out, then move to the 1000 and 900.  I'll be staying on the 920 for a while, it just made everything feel much easier.

I like the 390 stab, but haven't winged with the other stabs yet.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #381 on: August 24, 2020, 01:31:29 PM »
With your weight Sano I’d go with the 920 for maiden voyage with the 7m wing think you will have more success with the LA 920 than the HA 1000 especially in the ocean you have to try the 920 supfoiling I did that last S swell and was pretty impressed with it as I usually ride GF M200 and Iwa supfoiling and the 920 is very close to the M200 but bit faster and little less drag bit more stealthy than the M200 really like it supfoiling and winging just very surfy flowy I just need bit more wind for my 920 maybe today when this tropical remnant hurricane weather blows out of here they say,however if your at a flat water spot maybe go with the 1000 as your used to it but think for learning you be better served with the 920 at 185# especially in the ocean and still a bit of S swell lingering today here in VC,you got to try the 920 when you get a chance supfoiling really great wing IMO but I’m 225 though underrated Axis wing for the waves sup and winging
Thanks paddlur, that's two votes for the 920, and what it sounds so far as the wing of choice in my case. Also, thanks for the heads up wrt the 920 in the surf, I guess I'm really just going to have to try it. I wasn't ever much of a fan of the M200, and since the two appear so very similar, I just didn't think there'd be that much difference in the two. Besides, the way the 900 caught waves better than the M200 anyway IMO and turned SO much better, I never pulled the 920 outta the bag for the surf as a result.

But hey, why the hell not give it a go? Certainly ain't gonna cost me anything, and who knows, there might just be something there that might just fool the hell outta me. Wouldn't the first time I out thought myself into missing out on something that turned out to be a blast....something along the lines of the "Fun to ride, but you wouldn't want your friends to see you on one" punch line kinda thing.  :o ;D

Thanks again for the advice, will certainly put it to good use.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #382 on: August 24, 2020, 01:40:42 PM »
So, forecast for 14 mph winds later this afternoon, a

TIA
As someone who only tried on his prone sinker board. I say wait for more wind. 14 MPH is 12 knots? That's the lower end of what people who know what they're doing ride in. Wait for a 20 knot day to make sure you'll get up.
Actually, I'm not thinking that's a bad thing honestly. Since I've never done anything wind related ('cept fly a little paper kite when I was a kid), not actually adding flying in with the feel of just learning to maneuver up, down, and sideways while still on the water with the dang thing might not be that bad of a dealio in the beginning. Guess we'll just have to see though I suppose.  :)

Also if you got hit in the chest by the stab just walking out with a paddle in your hand, make sure you plan your entry and exit very carefully dragging a huge wing and trying to keep a foil away from it. :)
Ha! Yeah, just talked to StandinDan about doing the DP Harbor instead of Sano for the first few attempts. Seems as though the wind would be more channeled (don't know if that's good or bad), but definitely not going to have any of the waves to contend with, and try to drag some unyielding kite thing in one hand, and a big ol hunk of hard fiberglass w/ a machete attached to the bottom of it in the other.  :o :'(

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #383 on: August 24, 2020, 01:52:24 PM »

Hey Sano ---  I would guess the 440 would be very slightly easier.  But I went from a 500 to a 400 on the 1020 without noticing a hell of a lot of difference in takeoff difficulty (and a definite improvement in turning and speed). My opinion (Axis experts please correct me) is that the stab choice among those three is way less important than the front wing choice -- but for a maiden voyage I'd still go with the 440.
Well then that's what it is then. Thanks.  :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 01:57:39 PM by SanoSlatchSup »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #384 on: August 24, 2020, 01:56:11 PM »
I'm a newbie with the wing(170lbs).  Did a couple sessions with the 920, then took the 1000 out (390 stab for both).  Really liked the 1000 when there was plenty of wind.  Though the last couple of sessions the wind was lighter with plenty of holes in it.  Kind of struggled.  Yesterday I put the 920 back on, because the wind looked pretty light again, and had my best session yet.  It's definitely slower than the 1000, but that just makes everything easier.  Get's up easier, and the transitions felt easier as well.  Had some of my best jibes to date!  Starting out, use the 920.  Once you have things figured out, then move to the 1000 and 900.  I'll be staying on the 920 for a while, it just made everything feel much easier.

I like the 390 stab, but haven't winged with the other stabs yet.
Awesome, the bold is what I like to hear! Thank you bigmtn, we typically have "pretty light wind" in comparison to what others on here write, so the 920 sounds to be the one I'm going to be starting with for sure then. ;D

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 24, 2020, 09:56:59 PM »
Thanks paddlur, that's two votes for the 920, and what it sounds so far as the wing of choice in my case. Also, thanks for the heads up wrt the 920 in the surf, I guess I'm really just going to have to try it. I wasn't ever much of a fan of the M200, and since the two appear so very similar, I just didn't think there'd be that much difference in the two. Besides, the way the 900 caught waves better than the M200 anyway IMO and turned SO much better, I never pulled the 920 outta the bag for the surf as a result.

But hey, why the hell not give it a go? Certainly ain't gonna cost me anything, and who knows, there might just be something there that might just fool the hell outta me. Wouldn't the first time I out thought myself into missing out on something that turned out to be a blast....something along the lines of the "Fun to ride, but you wouldn't want your friends to see you on one" punch line kinda thing.  :o ;D

Thanks again for the advice, will certainly put it to good use.
Sano I got the 920 primarily for winging in the ocean on windier days to complement my 1020 when it’s on the higher end; but unbeknownst to me I was holding a great supfoil wing in my hands and did not even realize it until one day had a try and it exceeded my expectations mind you I’m 225 so I can literally wing it around but where it really shines is winging in good wind.I agree the GF M200 is not the best wing but for heavy riders in small waves suping it’s definitely a fun wing,my go to supfoil wing is the GF Iwa in good swell old school but damn really like that wing went through the GF GL series but not my style sold them prefer old school Iwa,I know I’m the minority on that one,so my disclaimer you can see I’m not a HA wing fan,although I do have the Axis 1150 and really like it flat water conditions a lot, but I primarily ride in the ocean.I have a new Axis 820 similar to the Iwa looking for forward to having a try supfoiling with it soon as we get some swell so back to winging for a lighter wind area in OC you might consider the 1020 might be better tool for the job for learning as you will be up foiling having more fun n lighter winds as it might be a bit more frustrating on the 920 when not enough wind,might be a good idea to take few short trips up to Belmont bit more wind and real good learning spot make your curve more enjoyable as trying to learn winging in light winds is gonna make it more frustrating than need be.Not saying the 920s everyone’s cats meow but with the tools you have the 920 best option but a 1020 for your area would be best bet to get the addiction going faster then when you get it wired and outgrow you can always sell it.My 2 cents Sano👍

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 26, 2020, 09:16:23 AM »
I have been thinking about picking up an Axis 910 front wing to compliment my beloved 1010 but so far have been unable to justify the experiment in my mind without trying one first. At 90Kg or so I wonder if I shouldn't be looking in the other direction (1150 or even the theoretical 1300), 'cuz I just wants 'ta glide ;D

Has this been posted already?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSPPIBy6zzI

This guy seems to have come to the conclusion it's preferable to the 1150 for his application and he's about my weight. Interestingly though he says the 1150 pumps faster through the water than the 910. The 1150 glides further as one would expect but not by much.
Anyway it's a nicely done comparison. Anyone else here that can offer a 'feet on' review of the 910 (please mention your weight)?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 26, 2020, 09:34:00 AM »
Have you tried the 1150? For me at my current weight (214) it's a remarkable light air wing and fantastic for downwind. You're welcome to borrow mine for a downwind on any higher wind day. If it's light, I'm on it. I know you've seen my pathetic pumping. Imagine that weak suck effort propelling me across the river when the wind gives out. Comparing the 1150 to the 1010 I come to the conclusion that I could get rid of my 1010 and just use the 1150 whenever it's applicable. I've used it in very gusty conditions where there was plenty of wind--probably well above 25mph--and huge lulls. It handles the high wind conditions pushing it beyond what I would think of as it's maximum speed. In that case I think having the stabilizer shimmed to reduce front foot pressure was probably a key to the performance.

Yes, it doesn't turn tightly, though I can do kind of a stall, twist, and swoop turn with it that is almost too tight, but that's not a high success rate turn.

At my weight, the 1150, 1000, and 860 is probably my all around quiver for wingfoil, downwind, and foil surfing. We'll see. I don't see any room in there for a 910, though that's the same thing I thought about the 860.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:36:12 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #388 on: August 26, 2020, 09:58:12 AM »
I also really like the 1150.  Great for light wind, but I've also used it lots with a 4 meter and some with a 3 meter wing (up to mid-20s with gusts to low 30s) -- works fine if you just size the wingding down.  That said, I am looking at a smaller wing (a 910 or an 860) but the 1150 works well for me.  It took me a while to learn to turn it and jibe it (it was definitely different than the 1020 and 1000 that I've now sold) but I now feel like to goes where I want it to without a lot of thought, and it pumps so well that I am actually making my light wind jibes on foil.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 26, 2020, 08:42:44 PM »
I had an awesome session today, split between the 1150 and the 860. I did a long upwind/downwind run with the 1150 using my 5M F-One. When I left the event center and headed to swell city the %M was a little overpowered, but settled nicely once i got in the harness. i had a few sketchy moment on the way upwind, but all good. Got to just above the Hatchery and the wind picked up so much I was having a hard time making ground upwind--too much wing. So I turned and headed back. I was on my tiptoes all the way back, wing fully feathered or flagging all the way, and still a bit much.

I got back to the event center and considered my options. Blow up a 4.2 or 3.5 and maybe the 1000 wing, of stay overpowered on the 5.0 and swap to the 860. I opted for overpowered with the 860 and had a total blast. It felt like I was dancing with the swells. So nutty, so fun. The little fucker turns on a dime and gives you nine cents change, and overpowered is just enough. Damn, that's a cool wing, and I was thrilled. My enjoyment must have been obvious, I got a lot of comments and thumbs up when I finally made my way back to the beach.

Oddly, I didn't make any of my jibes completely on the foil. I think at my weight it just doesn't have quite enough glide, or I don't have enough skill, to stay up at the end of the jibe, but I was powering through 75 percent of the turn, then touching down and popping back up. I'm still switch footing on all my jibes, I need to stop having so much fun and make myself learn to jibe and sail toeside and heelside. But hell, that was just so great i wasn't really worried.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal