Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403127 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #360 on: August 22, 2020, 08:58:39 AM »
I own a 900 and have a demo 760 at the moment. Have you noticed the 760 is easier to pump up at slow speeds. Sometimes when trying to pump the 900 up on slow waves it’ll just fall through the water and not grab. You need a bit of forward speed before you can pump it. The 760 is more like an older surf wing where you can aggressively pump it earlier to kick into slow waves.

So far the 760 is a high performance short board to the mid length 900. I’m probably keeping the 760 and may sell the 900.

Can you compare the 760 v 860 anymore?

I had the same feeling on the 1000 and 900 before I tried the 390 tail.  They wanted a lot more level speed before board pumping helped at all.   The 390 tail pretty much cured that. 

The 860 is a very fun wing.  it is a notch back from the 900 in quickness but it turns beautifully.  It may take off a little more easily than the 760 but it is not much.  A larger rider may feel differently about that.  With the 390 tail these all take of fine for me.  Because you are on the 760 and enjoying it you won't likely add a lot with the 860.  I would say spend a little time really tweaking the 760.  Fine tuning mast position and getting the right fuselage length made that one even more epic for me. 

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 22, 2020, 09:16:48 AM »
Oh yeah I didn't add. For me, the mast placement for the 760 is about 1/4 inch forward of where I place the 900.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #362 on: August 22, 2020, 10:51:51 AM »
I wing on Axis 1020 (65cm mast, standard fuse and 500 stab). I like riding swell and hope to move into riding real waves. I wing in SF Bay (swell) and Pacific Ocean (swell and waves). This is the only Axis wing I have tried.

I want to get a new wing to obtain 1. more speed for keeping up with swell when riding downwind (drifting) and 2. better pumping again for riding swell, while not giving up either 1. easy lift (I am beginner intermediate and struggle a bit to get on foil in lighter winds on starboard tack) or 2. maneuverability.

I am intrigued by the 1150 but think it will give up too much maneuverability for carving on swell.

I am intrigued by the 1000 but think it will give up too much lift being <1400 cm^2. I wish there was a wing like 1000 but bigger. I am surprised they don't offer this shape with more surface area.

I feel that 920 wouldn't add much of the desired and would give away lift for not much return. I guess I like the idea of higher aspect.

Would be curious of any recommendations.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 22, 2020, 11:54:02 AM »
I wing on Axis 1020 (65cm mast, standard fuse and 500 stab). I like riding swell and hope to move into riding real waves. I wing in SF Bay (swell) and Pacific Ocean (swell and waves). This is the only Axis wing I have tried.

I want to get a new wing to obtain 1. more speed for keeping up with swell when riding downwind (drifting) and 2. better pumping again for riding swell, while not giving up either 1. easy lift (I am beginner intermediate and struggle a bit to get on foil in lighter winds on starboard tack) or 2. maneuverability.

I am intrigued by the 1150 but think it will give up too much maneuverability for carving on swell.

I am intrigued by the 1000 but think it will give up too much lift being <1400 cm^2. I wish there was a wing like 1000 but bigger. I am surprised they don't offer this shape with more surface area.

I feel that 920 wouldn't add much of the desired and would give away lift for not much return. I guess I like the idea of higher aspect.

Not sure of your weight but I would not rule out the 920 for winging in the waves or supfoiling in the waves for that matter either for me me at 225lbs I look forward to using my 920 in the waves when windy it’s faster than the 1020 and very good turning,as it will be waay better than the 1150 in the waves hands down!I had a supfoil day couple days ago on the 920 and just really was blowing my mind how well it was working for me supfoiling just a great wing as I usually ride GF wings supfoiling was really stoked on the 920 have the 820 too can’t wait to try it out,that’s what’s nice about the Axis lineup just sooo many options on wings it spins your wheels.the 860 is also intriguing I might say too.The 1150 will be great for the bay area in the bay great wing for flatter conditions I really like it in that mode, but once out in the ocean for me the 1150 in decent swell can’t hold a candle to the 920,or the 1020 IMO but to each there own own different horses!
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 22, 2020, 12:21:24 PM »
I'm 215# and I find the 1000 to be plenty of wing as long as you can get going fast enough. I haven't used it in surf yet, but I'm reasonably certain it's going to be my surf wing of choice, along with the 860. I could use a 960, but they don't make one yet.

Here's the thing about going fast enough--it's mostly in your head. You can't go as fast as you need to go with a 1000 if you're riding a 1020. Too much drag. So the first time you get on a 1000 you'll think "I'm never going to get off the water with this" because you'll be going faster than you do with a 1020 and still you're stuck on the surface. Yup, you need to go faster, and you can, but you give up because you don't think it's going to happen. Get over that, and it's pretty easy. The first time you try it you'll hate me for giving you bad advice. First time you get up you'll love the wing, at the same time you're a little afraid of it, because you're going so fast.

I have the same mental block with my 900--I get it going really fast and nothing happens. If I shut the little voice in my head off and just keep pumping, off we go. 860 is the same way. Almost every time I use it I flip the board over to check for weed because I'm certain there's something wrong. Nope, it's just in my head and has soon as I flip the board back and know there's no weed I get flying.

All that said, if your main criteria is riding swells and pumping, then 1150 is your huckleberry. I don't pump for shit and i can pump an 1150 across the Columbia River in wind that I couldn't otherwise stay up in. That's about a mile of pumping with a little wind assist. And I really, really suck at it. It's the wing. It's ALL the wing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

omg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #365 on: August 22, 2020, 01:22:24 PM »
Guys, please help me out with this one before placing my order;

For winging I am looking at 1010 and either 460 or 400, with short fuselage and 90cm 19mm alu mast. I weigh 80kg (175lbs) with 85 liter board. Mainly looking to ride form 12 knots onwards and small swell, so speed, glide, but also turning are on my list. So:
1) should I go for the 19mm alu mast or is much more draggy, so I would really notice it without riding other masts, so just outright, is it draggy with this 1010 wing?
2) the stab, should I go for the 460 or 400? I read from here that 460 is speedy ie. less drag. How would the 400 differ from 460?

Thanks very much!!! Good winds and waves, and stay safe

dylbert_

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 22, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »
omg,
I'm ~72kg on a 75L board.  I ride a 910 and 1010, with a (*slightly chopped) 390 or a shimmed 440 stab, 90cm 19mm alu mast. (I've found the low end of the 910 to be just slightly higher than the 1010)

1) coming from kite foiling, I notice the drag on the 19mm mast, but I really appreciate the stiffness.  I think with the larger span foils I would rather have a stiff mast than a thinner, marginally faster mast.  IMO worth the extra drag.

2) I can't comment on the 460 or 400, but can say that I am not a fan of the 440 for winging with the 1010.  If I shim it up 2 degrees I don't seem to mind it as much.  I love the 390 for winging, and really want to try the 460. seems like it would be quick, with less yaw stability, and maybe better glide/pump???

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 22, 2020, 09:15:20 PM »
Actually, any of the Axis stabilizers shimmed to 3 degrees works fine IMHO. I don't know why Adrian is designing them with 5 degrees of incidence angle. Maybe the idea is that beginners will get up early and more experienced folks will shim them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #368 on: August 23, 2020, 02:52:17 AM »

For winging I am looking at 1010 and either 460 or 400, with short fuselage and 90cm 19mm alu mast. I weigh 80kg (175lbs) with 85 liter board. Mainly looking to ride form 12 knots onwards and small swell, so speed, glide, but also turning are on my list. So:
1) should I go for the 19mm alu mast or is much more draggy, so I would really notice it without riding other masts, so just outright, is it draggy with this 1010 wing?
2) the stab, should I go for the 460 or 400? I read from here that 460 is speedy ie. less drag. How would the 400 differ from 460?

How heavy are you OMG?

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #369 on: August 23, 2020, 10:20:16 AM »
Can someone post the 3D printer shim files for Axis stabilizers. My understanding is that it is supposed to be free but I can't access to download it on Axis web site.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

omg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #370 on: August 23, 2020, 12:06:49 PM »

How heavy are you OMG?

Thanks, I'm 80kg / 175lbs. 4'10 85liter board. This setup would be for winging, and I like to ride from 12 knots onwards. I like speed, glide, pumping and turning qualities - of course :) We have some swell, which is smallish, and hence would like to be able to link them via pumping and gliding from the foil.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #371 on: August 23, 2020, 06:07:33 PM »

How heavy are you OMG?

Thanks, I'm 80kg / 175lbs. 4'10 85liter board. This setup would be for winging, and I like to ride from 12 knots onwards. I like speed, glide, pumping and turning qualities - of course :) We have some swell, which is smallish, and hence would like to be able to link them via pumping and gliding from the foil.

It sounds like you are already winging and are up and comfortable on the foil.   The 1010 gets up super easily (I am your weight exactly) and doesn't need a lot of help from a big stabilizer.  I used it mostly with the 460.  If I were going to commit to that series I would use the 460.  I loved it in Baja where we had smooth winds and no current.  Back here in the Gorge I found that it really got bucked around in our spring current at my weight (like hitting turbulence in a plane).  In a smoother environment it might be just the thing.   If I were going to look at that series at our weight it would be the 910 (but I have never ridden that one) and who knows maybe they will do an 810 :) (I would be interested in trying that).  I didn't spend enough time on it to really dial in the turn that the 1010 wants.  I love the Carbon masts so I am not the right person to ask about that.  I will say that the drag reduction is very notable.  After you are done initially progressing through sizes, I would suggest them to everyone every time. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:24:54 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #372 on: August 24, 2020, 02:02:09 AM »

Hi Liv2Surf,

I would second what Paddlur wrote about the 920.  That is a great easy lift wing.  That wing and the 1020 will let you do a very steep no pump takeoff at low speed.  The 920 is really flowy and fun and adds a bit of speed over the 1020.  It is not a massive step but I can't imagine you not enjoying it.  The 1010 lifts off right in there with the 920.  If you are having difficulty at times getting flying on the 1020 I think the 1000 or 900 will be super frustrating to you right now. 

What board are you using?  Have you checked the tail to make sure that there is no rocker at the tracks (or just in front of the tracks in the stance area)?  Too many boards have rocker at the tracks which (to various degrees depending on the mast plate's position in the tracks) sets the foil assembly angled down in relation to the board.  I ask because this can make takeoff very difficult.  For sure check this before you make any stabilizer incidence adjustment.

Did you mention your weight?  That is really the key factor. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 04:11:49 AM by Admin »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #373 on: August 24, 2020, 10:51:43 AM »
OK, so it looks like I might be blowing up the GONG 7M in the not too distant future (hell, maybe even later today), and I'm seeing a lot of discussion wrt the three different wings I have right now, and wondering everyone's opinion on which one I should bolt on first for my maiden voyage. Quick back story of my feelings wrt the wings used in the surf already w/o a wingding.

So the 900/460 on an ultra short fuse is the setup of choice right now for speed and maneuverability (the 460 and ultra were borrowed but on order the minute I got home...the 390 w/shim is also an absolute stellar backup go to almost equally as fun). Seems that the faster/harder you push it, the better it locks in and turns...makes the 6' board feel like what I'd imagine a prone foiler is feeling. Biggest surprise was that it catches waves better than any of the other GF wings I rode, as it paddles fast and lifts easily, like pushing the "UP" button on an elevator. Have had it in knee waves that I never imagined I'd ever get it off the water on, and had an absolute blast with it.

The 1000/440 on short fuse was fun in that knee high stuff as well, and while it pumped easier heading back out (I only tested it just to see the differences, bad knees and back limit my pumping, and attempts on connecting waves...IOWs, I don't even try any longer), and was only slightly easier getting into waves than the 900...but with what I lost in speed and maneuverability - and the fact that the 900 pops into just about anything anyways - I used it just a couple times, and thought I'd just keep it for winging...for now.

The 920 I've not bolted on yet, since it looks like such a big neanderthal snow plow, much like the Maliko 200 or Armstrong 1850 that I have no desire in trying to push the tractor through the turns when I drive the sports car through them. But thought that maybe as a starter wingding thing it might be useful, and why I bought it, and carry it around in the van with me.

So, forecast for 14 mph winds later this afternoon, and looks like some wingding things will get blown up on the beach. What say you all wrt the first wing combo that I should bolt up to go with the GONG 7M for the first go out? You have to choose from the - 900, 920, 1000 fronts, and 390 (w or w/o shim), 400, 440 stabs - with only a "short" fuse to put them on at the moment.

TIA
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 10:54:19 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #374 on: August 24, 2020, 11:00:10 AM »
I learned on the 1020 (already knew how to foil from kiting), have used a friend's 920, and had 5-6 sessions with the 1000.  My emphatic recommendation is to use the 920 for those conditions.  WAY easier to get on a foil, which is the first and most difficult (IMHO) part of the learning curve.  If it's easy and boring, come in and change.  The 1000 requires a higher takeoff speed and more complex foot pressure adjustments than the 920 during takeoff.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal