Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403098 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #330 on: July 26, 2020, 01:02:59 AM »
At the other end of the spectrum, the 1150 wing was super amazing today. I'd say the wind was 7 to 10mph max, and even with a 6M wing I struggled to get up, but once I was up I could cruise through endless lulls with no worry about coming down. The last reach I did before the wind died completely I pumped all the way across the river with my wing mostly just barely being held up by the wind. We all know my pumping sucks dead toads, but even i can pump this wing.

That was very cool, Bill.  You were outrunning the wind by a lot.  I was stunned watching you. As soon as you can get your board to break free, you are off like a bolt! 

I was on the 760 and a 6.0.  Freaking amazing.  I would never have imagined that this small a foil would generate enough lift to make that wind work, even with the obviously reduced drag. 

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: July 26, 2020, 06:59:09 AM »
I did a quick little vid of the 1150. Winging in about 8mph gusts and then hitting a 360 on a small wave. Amazing low end performance and super tight turns with this foil.
https://youtu.be/MqRD0UaKvt0

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 26, 2020, 08:53:00 AM »
I only have two sessions on the 1150, so I can't comment much, but I learned on the 1010 that you either turn fast or don't turn much at all.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Lazz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #333 on: July 29, 2020, 04:25:06 PM »
Today I learned another tail wing lesson.

My 2100 sq cm Moses has been slippery and fast for me, yet I know two other people who own them, and describe it is a beast.

Turns out it is the TAIL wing causing these radically different opinions.

Just as the Axis 390 tail changed your life. The big Moses with the 483 tail versus the 450 tail, is a night and day different package.

I took side by side photos of them. They look identical in area, but are radically different in how they affect the whole package. SHOCKING. The 483 gives the package the speed of the Axis 900, while the 450 makes it act the Axis 102. Twilight zone shit happening right there. 4-5 mph faster every reach with the 483 tail.

Hi DW, do you have a idea of the possibility to install a 19mm Axis mast on the Moses Fuselage without too much effort?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:34:15 PM by Lazz »

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 30, 2020, 08:55:25 AM »
I’m in 4-5 good sessions on the 1150w 440 rear in more less flat water conditions and must say never thought I’d like a HA wing but really getting to like it for mowing the lawn cruising turns pretty darn good and it’s speed is welcome compared to the 1020 and upwindability outstanding.pumping and glide are pretty slick too with the 1150.I still use my ol faithful 1020 in the ocean just a great big guy wing,but really was pleasantly surprised by the 1150 it’s a keeper for me for its application.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:01:55 AM by paddlur »
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 30, 2020, 07:40:23 PM »
And that's how you ride it Paddlur--high and cranked over.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: August 01, 2020, 02:59:45 AM »
I am a week into riding these 60 wings (760, 860) and I am loving these.  At my size I could get away with either one of these as an only wing.  I have had both on super light 6.0 and maxed 3.5. 

On a wing they take about the same work as the 900 to get flying.  The difference there is negligible.  It is likely a little less for the 860 and maybe a little more for the 760.  You really never miss an opportunity, in low wind it is just an extra bit of surface pumping to get it done. 

Once they are up you immediately feel the lack of volume.  There is no plow or stick feeling that you get from the bigger wings.  On that level the 860 is in the category of the 900 (probably a half step back but right there).  The 760 is completely unglued and slips way better than any of the other wings I have tried.  It is really quick.

They pump great.  I have no experience pumping on a SUP or a prone board but I suspect that we are looking for a different thing in pumping with a wing.  We always have the option to get back to power and we are often pumping to add a little to a lightly powered wing or to get up to speed.  These are amazing for that.  They feel like there is enough there to get a firm pump off of and they glide so smoothly.  Amazing for dead spots.  I find myself rigging a smaller air wing because they stay moving so well when they are flying. 

Turning is the standout feature.  You can dig in without worry at faster speeds and make it happen in tighter swell.  Not as much waiting for the perfect spot.  It is pretty error correcting because it will allow you to change the arc of your turn mid steam without fighting you.  I am still relaxing into that.  This goes really well with a longer mast.  You can kind of let yourself fall around the corner which is a great feeling.

I move the 760 forward 1.5 cm in the track.  That gets my stance where I like it.  I like the 860 for trying new stuff.  It is really comfortable.  If it is really good wind or I want to play in swell I take the 760. 

We just got the 660 as well but haven't used it yet.  I think that one will be for Chan.  If she like these as much as I do we will sell the 900 and be a 3 wing family. 

These are excellent winging foils.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 03:35:37 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 01, 2020, 09:50:55 PM »
I find myself oddly hooked on the 1150, to the point that I haven't been using my 1000 much lately. I have both a 900 and an 860 on the way. Once I settle in with the new SIC board (yeah, I bought another board, a 6.0"X28,5" Manta 104 liters) I'll probably sell off a bunch of wings and such.

The new board is pretty good. At my current weight, it's a semi sinker. If the nose goes underwater while I'm trying to get the wing flying I'm mostly doomed. But with a little struggling, which will probably fade as I get more used to it, I can handle even rough swell conditions in the channel. Once I'm up, I'm gold. The surprising thing is that it seems so insensitive to where I put my feet. What's that about? I can ride it with my feet so close together my rear toe is touching my front heel. Not just during transitions--all the way across the river.

It's made me realize that the 5'4" Fanatic is unlikely to actually work for me. I'm still making the training wheels for it, so we'll see, but I think I'm going to have some difficulty getting my back foot on the board when I'm getting up.

The new wings should be here end of next week. I need to cull the herd.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #338 on: August 02, 2020, 01:58:29 AM »
The surprising thing is that it seems so insensitive to where I put my feet. What's that about? I can ride it with my feet so close together my rear toe is touching my front heel. Not just during transitions--all the way across the river.

I think that you are feeling the lack of swing weight out in front of you prying at the foil with every nuance in water or wind.  That sure does calm the board down.  The smallest kit that doesn't cause too much pain in starting makes sense to me.  Why carry more?

You are looking great on your new kit.  That was tough wind and you were dancing all over the water.  SWEET!

PS:  You are going to sell foils?  After one use your foils look like chew toys in the tiger enclosure. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 02:08:46 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 02, 2020, 08:25:15 AM »
PS:  You are going to sell foils?  After one use your foils look like chew toys in the tiger enclosure.

You know that horrible pain you feel when you come in and find a scratch on a new foil? With one of my wings, you'd never feel that pain.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 02, 2020, 09:19:12 AM »
I find myself oddly hooked on the 1150, to the point that I haven't been using my 1000 much lately. I have both a 900 and an 860 on the way. Once I settle in with the new SIC board (yeah, I bought another board, a 6.0"X28,5" Manta 104 liters) I'll probably sell off a bunch of wings and such.

The new board is pretty good. At my current weight, it's a semi sinker. If the nose goes underwater while I'm trying to get the wing flying I'm mostly doomed. But with a little struggling, which will probably fade as I get more used to it, I can handle even rough swell conditions in the channel. Once I'm up, I'm gold. The surprising thing is that it seems so insensitive to where I put my feet. What's that about? I can ride it with my feet so close together my rear toe is touching my front heel. Not just during transitions--all the way across the river.

It's made me realize that the 5'4" Fanatic is unlikely to actually work for me. I'm still making the training wheels for it, so we'll see, but I think I'm going to have some difficulty getting my back foot on the board when I'm getting up.

The new wings should be here end of next week. I need to cull the herd.
Well Bill I found myself in similar position with the 1150 and on Friday got a hair up my ass to try it out in my local ocean spot with 15to low 20smph 2-3 Occ 4’foot short interval wind swell well it was a wake up call to me on why I never was a big fan of HA wings supfoiling as it was working overtime trying to keep her under control on inside transition in wave zone as it likes to get a mind of its own sometimes especially with good speed on a wave I  just had to show the 1150 who’s the boss but we battled sometimes but I usually won out but shouldn’t be that way so for ocean swell/waves I’m sticking with my 1020 on days like that but I will say that I did enjoy the 1150 in the outside ocean swells coming in after getting upper hand on it as the glide is really something else!I much prefer the 1020 in swell and waves wish access would make a hybrid of the 1020 and 1150 little of both for us larger riders! But don’t get me wrong the 1150 still has spot in my game plan in flatter conditions with minimal swell really like it, but in the ocean with swell and waves was a wake up call of my previous impressions of HA wings oh well! I have a 920 wing that for some stupid reason I have not tried winging but have supfoiling on small day and really liked it so it’s on deck next on good powered wave day but for some reason little gun shy to give it a go winging as think it will not have the lift of its big brother ol faithful 1020 but I’m going to try er out shortly and see how it goes winging,I’m impressed that your riding 104L for a big guy! I’m riding 5’8”x29”x5”+128L working real well in flat and ocean be curious how that 104L goes for you in the ocean swell waves gonna be a little trickier game then
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:33:29 AM by paddlur »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #341 on: August 02, 2020, 10:11:24 AM »
Paddlur,
You're going to love that 920 if you like the 1020 on the wing. Faster, smoother and more top end speed.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 02, 2020, 10:44:10 AM »
Like to hear that flkiter something to look forward too right on!just was preoccupied with the 1150 as swell has been minimal here lately until last Friday and been having a blast on the 1150 in flattish conditions, but like I said for some stupid reason have not tried the 920 winging yet had it close to 2 months now for some reason with my 225lbs thought it would be supfoiling only for me but now I realize what I’m looking for might be in my frigging hands and don’t realize it duh! However still wish for Xmas Axis comes out with a 1150 1020 cross/hybrid wing for us big guys and peeps who want to ride low winds and with good performance in waves guess I’m dreaming again🙏

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #343 on: August 02, 2020, 11:09:57 AM »
I just dropped down to the crazy short fuselage with the 370 rear on the 1150 and for winging, it's been a blast. Not as fast as the 1000 but great amount of glide. Tons of low end on these high aspect wings but you have to have the pump technique down. The lower aspect foils give you lift at super low speeds and without needing to pump. Not all foils are going to be right for everyone. Just cause it's a new design, isn't going to be the right design for the rider. The 920 and 1020 are still my go to recommendation for most riders just wanting easy lift and turns with solid predictability in ocean conditions. I'd like to know what you think once you get on that 920.
I should have the Neil Pryde XL next week so I'll get a review of it once I get on the water with it.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 06, 2020, 06:37:12 AM »
2nd day on the Axis 760 foil.

5-40 gusty SW winds, the conditions were awful this morning.  I considered passing altogether, but I wanted to try out the 760 again.  Day one was a smooth 10-20 and it felt great.  I wasn’t sure how much of the overall first impression was due to favorable conditions as opposed to the gear change.  My 900 would have been fun as well.  Today was whatever the opposite of smooth is and the new foil really performed.  It pumped easily through the lulls.  I could see a blast approaching and pushed the wing high overhead and luffed.  The foil held steady.   Spilling as much wind as possible, the foil cut completely free when crossing the crest of an upwind swell and then smoothly reconnected to the water on the other side and continued to butter through the river at a steady speed.  I noticed little resistance or unintended acceleration.  Now I’m wondering what the next size down has to offer.  Is the 660 too small or just right for smaller riders?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal