Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403097 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #255 on: May 19, 2020, 12:41:46 AM »
I put us on the order list for the two upcoming '60 sizes.  Those look great.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 23, 2020, 12:31:20 AM »
I put us on the order list for the two upcoming '60 sizes.  Those look great.

You mean the 770 and 880?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: May 23, 2020, 01:43:53 AM »
I asked Axis about the 880 and 770 but they responded about the upcoming 860 and 760.  They had mentioned that those are the models approved for production. 

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 23, 2020, 01:57:02 AM »
I asked Axis about the 880 and 770 but they responded about the upcoming 860 and 760.  They had mentioned that those are the models approved for production.

Interesting, perhaps they just change the names or they came out one and two cm less wide...

I heard that these foils don't go straight, sounds interesting!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: May 23, 2020, 02:32:53 AM »
I am not sure if those are/were other prospects or what.

It must drive Axis nuts to be pumping out a steady stream of cool kit and having us out here going, "you know what they should do next?" :)  I dig all of their foils so far and I am stoked to see what they do between the 920 and the 1000.  Something like a 920 on a diet or a 1000 that started on protein shakes.  A middle ground between their high an low aspect stuff for winging.  I am not sure if that is where the 860 or an 880 comes in but I am open to try. 

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #260 on: June 14, 2020, 06:44:03 AM »
OK so the cat's out of the bag about the HA series 1150 wing and it's on the website. Any thoughts from you people who have ridden it?

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: June 14, 2020, 07:25:32 AM »
Which site is it on? I'll write a review up later. The 1150 has become my main foil for Florida waves and winging. The 1010 is also amazing and now with what I've learned on the 1150, I'm going to see if it transfers to the 1010.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #262 on: June 14, 2020, 08:16:26 AM »
Based on the numbers I have seen, the 1150 has a SA between the 1020 and 1010 but the highest AR among the 3.  Should be interesting.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: June 19, 2020, 04:06:51 AM »
I have been having great sessions on the 1000 wing and the new 960 carbon mast this week.  That is one amazing combination for normal wind (18 plus) but it can still hold its own down to 15 if the wind lessens.  I have been using the 920 if it is really light air.  I think that the ultra low drag of the carbon masts and the easy break from the water of the the new 5'4 Fanatic board are allowing smaller foil (and air wing) sizes.  I sold my larger foils, tails and I think my 6.0 Swing will be next.

My goal is to be able to use the 1000 in lighter winds as well.  The 1000 is requiring a very different takeoff technique for me, particularly in lighter wind.  It is like two wings.  Pre-takeoff 1000 and post-take off 1000.  I am finding that I need to generate pretty significant board speed on the surface before applying any lifting pressure or doing any board pumping at all.  If I go to early I get a swift "no".  Basically a kick and a slap.  When I have speed I have to ease it up softly.  I am actually moving my back foot forward when accelerating on the surface.  That keeps it from lifting prematurely and potentially stalling.  Once it is airborn, it is almost the opposite. Anything goes and it stays flying really well. So quick an nimble.  It is very addictive!

I still have some experimenting to do.  I have been using the 370 and 400 tails.  My original thought was that the larger classic tails would help ease it up in low wind but that took me in the wrong direction.  I ordered a 390 tail to see what that does. 

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 04:25:02 AM by Admin »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #264 on: June 19, 2020, 07:44:08 AM »
Been trying to up load a pic of the stats of the 1150. So here they are.
Wing span 115 cm for the world, for Americans 45inch
Actual area 1778 cm
Projected area 1713cm
Volume 2116cm
This has become my main wing for sup and wing'ing since it's summer time. I have it on the 370 rear and ultrashort fuselage. Tune it for your pump stance, a 1/4 inch off can make or break the endless pump and glide.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 19, 2020, 07:52:31 AM »
I have the same experience with the 101, I have to get it really galloping to get up and can't push liftoff or I get denied--Maybe a quick pop but generally nothing. Once it's up it won't come down. It's a pure expression of lift being a function of the square of velocity, and the simple fact that we go a lot faster once we're in the air than we do on the surface. "Galloping" speed is probably no more than 5 or 6 mph if that. Once we're up and flying with these sleeker wings we probably are going at least double that speed. That means we have four times the lift force on tap which we're controlling with AOA to keep the wing wet. When the wind dies a bit the biggest problem is that the wing starts getting in the way. Otherwise, we'd keep flying for a long time. Any speed slightly over our liftoff speed supplies plenty of lift.

The 101 was designed for downwinding, and if you can pump it off the surface in a bump it's going to rock as long as there's any energy at all. The super-low drag of a 1400 sq in, thin airfoil wing lets it coast a silly long way between pulses of energy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #266 on: June 19, 2020, 10:31:19 AM »
We had a 1150 pre-production wing here in Portugal. And my friend that's an expert on downwind and wing. This was his veredict:

"A mandatory wing for downwind. Used it in light downwind (10 knots) and it suprised me a lot; super easy lift, keeps the speed while flying with no oscilations or vibrations, which is impressive for it's huge span. Flight speed is moderate but I was able to pass to the bump ahead of me. Ok manouverablility."

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 22, 2020, 12:21:08 PM »
So after months of not using it, I finally took my 4m f-one out yesterday and got my first flights.  I'm about 165 lbs, and was using my buddies axis 920 wing.  I have a 900, but feel like most days I don't have enough wind to get up on it with my 4m and my lack of skills at this point.  North Shore Oahu, winds are prob in the 15-20 range or less most of the time.  So now I want to get a bigger foil wing, and can't decide what I want?  920, 1020, 910, 1010, 1150?  My gut says 1020, but I'd like to be able to use whatever I get for prone foiling on tiny days too, and I know I won't like the slowness of the 1020.  Any thoughts? Anyone been able to try the 910, from what I've heard it's an amazing wing for prone surfing/downwind.

I sold my larger foils, tails and I think my 6.0 Swing will be next.
Admin, I'm interested when you're ready to sell.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: June 23, 2020, 03:04:24 AM »
My gut says 1020

Hi Big,

What did you think of the 920?  That may be a better bet for 165 lbs if you are already up and riding.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: June 26, 2020, 05:11:27 PM »
Caught a very powered 2.8 session today.  Meter was reading 32-40 when I launched and it held there for an hour and then slowly dropped.  Chan has been using the Axis 820 lately with a 370 tail so I took that out.  She has been loving it and I had not tried that wing since last year.  I had pretty well written it off but I realized that our smallest tail last year was a 440 and it seemed like I should give it a try with a smaller tail.  Stoked that I did.  That is a great wing.  It took me a few minutes to adjust to it but once I felt it, I really liked it.  Not bad to get flying and really loose and playful when its is up.  Plenty quick as well.  A half hour after the wind started to fade and it was 4.2 conditions for me.  The cool thing was that I could still get this thing going, even really underpowered.  Sweet.  I wonder what the real range is on this one.  July seems like a great month to find out :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal