Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403034 times)

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2020, 11:55:51 PM »
Corona virus yeah , I pre ordered the s1010 in November....still not sure when I will get it.

Did anyone weigh the new and the old fuselage ?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2020, 02:47:47 AM »
Hang in there for that 1010.  It is really cool.  Grab the 460 tail with it as well.  It is an eye opener.

I had another session on the 1000 with the 460.  That is an outstanding combination.  I also had another very light wind session yesterday with the big 1020 and I put 460 tail on it on the longer standard fuselage.  Amazing.  Kind of like increasing wheel base but going to a single rear wheel on a pivot.  It is crazy what 3 inches of fuselage and a seemingly small tail wing change can make. 

I am having a ball geeking out on this stuff but Chantalle had to tell me to leave her gear alone :)

I asked they guys at Axis for more details on all of their tail wings and they are going to put something together for us.  They are a really responsive crew and I dig how they live this stuff. 

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:53:58 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2020, 04:43:11 PM »
I got in an amazing 2 hour solo session today.  My first on the new 76 mast.  I was using the 1010, 460, short fuselage and the Swing 6.0.  This setup is outrageously slippery both on the surface and on the foil.  There is so little drag.  It is immediately evident when you get any forward motion.  It was super light when I launched (actually, a new low for me).  The smoothing at the mast base (and the lack of all ridges, bumps, joints, pockets) make more difference than I had imagined.  What I hadn't considered is that the mast would feel noticeably faster when flying...but it does.  That must be due to the significant taper.  The carbon mast progressively tapers to much less thickness and width at the fuselage where the aluminum mast is constant over its entire length.  Once you are up and flying there is a lot less meat in the water and it is very noticeable.  What a feeling.  Does mast taper provide extra lift?  There is a sensation of extra lift but possibly that is reduced drag that I am feeling.  I am not sure but I am stoked about it.  I am 168 lbs right now but I didn't notice any reduction in stiffness while winging.  I want to get us set up so we are 100% on these carbon masts.  Damn, I am going to need a couple new fuselages.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:28:00 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2020, 01:11:55 PM »
3.6m winging today, with Evan from Axis in town, with lots of prototypes to try.

I finally found my magic tail wing. The flat tail 460 wasn’t for me.

This new tail turns the 1000 into magic for me. I had the most insane wave riding, just holding the 3.6 by the nose, connecting and surfing and connecting......in the Banana River! Longer connections than I’ve had in the ocean on down winders. Magic day, magic session.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2020, 03:05:00 AM »
Sounds great Dwight.  Little off topic but do you use the same handles on the 3.6 that you use with your 6?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2020, 03:43:24 AM »
Sounds great Dwight.  Little off topic but do you use the same handles on the 3.6 that you use with your 6?

No...with the 3.6 my front hand is on the 2nd handle. Harness line on the 4th. Rear hand on the 6th.

BTW, the wind was 25-35 mph, eventually hitting 40 on the sensor. I was done by the time it hit 40.. Anyway, in the harness (Upwind) tamed the ride and was easier than unhooked, buffeting and bucking with just my arms. We really are reaching windsurf sail levels of control when it’s nukin. Once I got way upwind to the deep water and big wind waves, it was all down wind amazing wave rides unhooked, working on reading the water, going farther and farther holding the nose handle with each run.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 03:49:13 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2020, 03:52:42 AM »
The man, the myth, the legend, Piros, just gave his approval on my Instagram account. “The best Axis rear”.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_V0xlQDoAk/?igshid=1iyzp3e3ih4oj

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2020, 09:11:51 AM »
That 390 looks great, almost an exact replica of my Gong 40cm.

I was going to pick up a second 100cm carbon mast from Gong but who knows when or if those guys will ever ship internationally again. The "Access to Axis" may win out assuming there is access and I wanted a slightly shorter mast anyway.

Admin or PB, as Oregon folks, who's your favorite dealer of this stuff (pm me if you feel that's better)? I Don't think anyone in the Gorge is a dealer, assuming it has to be mail ordered.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2020, 09:39:35 AM »
That 390 looks great, almost an exact replica of my Gong 40cm.

I was going to pick up a second 100cm carbon mast from Gong but who knows when or if those guys will ever ship internationally again. The "Access to Axis" may win out assuming there is access and I wanted a slightly shorter mast anyway.

Admin or PB, as Oregon folks, who's your favorite dealer of this stuff (pm me if you feel that's better)? I Don't think anyone in the Gorge is a dealer, assuming it has to be mail ordered.

Hi thatspec,
What pieces do you need?

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2020, 09:48:02 AM »
Hi Admin,
I would need a complete setup but just poking around it looks like it might be a custom package. The 1010 front wing would be the main reason to move in this direction. Ultra short fuse, 90cm mast and a stab to be determined. Assume the 390 is not likely an available item yet and probably want something longer for the 1010 anyway.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2020, 10:01:33 AM »
The 460 tail is the designed mate for the 1010.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2020, 10:02:35 AM »
Hi Admin,
I would need a complete setup but just poking around it looks like it might be a custom package. The 1010 front wing would be the main reason to move in this direction. Ultra short fuse, 90cm mast and a stab to be determined. Assume the 390 is not likely an available item yet and probably want something longer for the 1010 anyway.

Got it.  We have a bunch of Axis that we are going to unload but none of those items.  We order directly from the Axis site: https://axisfoils.com/ .

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2020, 10:11:39 AM »
Thanks for the info guys! What I've learned about myself is it's best to draw out the research and purchase phase as long as possible. Once the item(s) are acquired I'll start looking for what might be better ::)
That said, it's my civic duty to spend money right now :)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2020, 12:50:59 PM »
If anyone wants the 1010 set up, I highly recommend the ultra short fuselage and 460,370 or 340 rear. You won't get the full potential of the 1010 without a fast rear.
The 390 rear is my main rear wing for winging on the 1000 and 900.
Different gear for different styles and conditions. Some like carving waves, others pumping for 3's and more, some just winging so if you know what you'll be using it for, that'll help when getting the right set up for you. Also don't forget about the original surf series, still my favorite wings for easy learning of the wing and catching tiny bumps. If you're just getting into the foil stuff, don't go super performance just cause the wing is new, it'll impede your learning.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2020, 09:14:36 PM »
I've been using the 1010 with the 460 or the 340 rear. The 460 lets me get up a little quicker and is more stable, the 340 is just silly fun and loose. It won't settle into a smooth altitude, a do a lot more swell bashing and bobbing up and down, but it's fast without feeling like it's promoting overfoiling. I swapped back to the 500 just before the COVID lockdown when coming back in to swap stuff was no big deal. Solidly locked in place, and I can see why I used to like it, but it felt like I'd put a speed limiter on.

460 feels like the right stabilizer for the 1010, but I think I'll probably wind up using the 340 more, just because it makes the combo feel so responsive. Now if I can just learn to calm it down a bit.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal