Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 402954 times)

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2020, 08:38:42 AM »
Was just talking to the guys at live2kite yesterday. He said the 770/880 wings are still in production/testing, so it'll be a few more months before they are available.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2020, 10:14:53 AM »
I wonder how good th S660 will be for winging in waves?
Would you need to take a bigger wing and more than 15 knots to to get flying?

The primary reason a 4m wing ding works, when kite foilers are using 8 meters, is we use massive foils.

Take away the massive foil and use that S660 Adrian kites with, and now you need an 8m wing ding.

Or very high winds. Better move to the Gorge.  The S880 will be my wave riding foil for winging.

It depends on your weight and skill as well. Kathy Shipman was out at Ka'a foil surfing with a S660 that looked like a toy compared to my 1020. She was rocking it, flying swells all the way to the beach and getting on the waves with no apparent effort. The waves were dying on the reef, so the swells in the lagoon were generally tiny. I was getting about 100 yards before the waves petered out as far as my skill level permits. Kathy was going as far as she wanted to, at least three times further than I was.

I don't compare myself to people like Kathy, or Dave Kalama, or Eddie Ogata, but I do pay attention to what they do and try to emulate some of their skills. Flying a S660 is not something I'm going to aim for, but if you are light and very skilled, then apparently it works.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2020, 11:44:13 AM »
I wonder how good th S660 will be for winging in waves?
Would you need to take a bigger wing and more than 15 knots to to get flying?

Or very high winds. Better move to the Gorge. 

or to Cape town , ohh I am already there...
@ 85 kg 190 lbs I use my 2.8 swing very often in combination with an Axis s1000

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2020, 02:33:06 PM »
So if S1000 and 2.8m then you might need the 4.2m to power the 660. What bothers me personally about using these Swings super lit, is the canopy flapping. These canopies are going to break down in 2 years. Need more design evolution.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 01, 2020, 02:44:13 PM »
In two years we'll be on V3.0 and all the stuff I've been flinging money at with both hands will be obsolete junk.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 01, 2020, 08:35:16 PM »
So the 101 fucking rocks. Looking at it I thought there was no way this was going to be my goto downwind foil. Not enough there to lift my 230# ass. Wrong. In fact, it's a bit much. I paired it with the standard fuselage and a 500 stabilizer I had kicking around. The weird thing is that I can FEEL the more balanced lift coming from both wing and stab.

The wind was blasting at Ka'a--way more than forecast, and I stupidly rigged my 5M because I thought I'd need all the help I could get coming up. Wrong again, I got up on the foil when I was still on my knees. I ripped around for a while on the edge of control and beyond, doing a few extremely high speed faceplants. The waves were pretty festive in the lagoon, and I could get on the face of the waves and just stuff the foil into it, getting power from both the wave and the wing. Nutso. But I decided broken bones might be in my future, so I went in and rigged down to the 4.2. Should have gone for the 3.5.

The wind continued to build, and soon the entire lagoon looked like the old "Victory at Sea" intro footage. Wave peaks coming from both the swell coming over the reef and the sideways wind swell that was rapidly growing to waist high. Even though I was well up on the foil I was still bashing off waves constantly. Crazy fun, but yeah, crazy.

I nailed a tack kind of accidentally on the way out to the reef and then failed at least ten more times trying to do one on purpose. I didn't make a single jibe--had to touch down to turn out.

The 101 performed flawlessly--fast, stable, turns beautifully if not quickly and glides for days. I'm going to surf this puppy. This could be one of those things, where the nutty outlier you think will never work, or only work for one silly thing (downwinging) turns out to be the goto.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2020, 01:19:40 AM »
He Bill,

That is awesome to hear!  Try it with the 460 on a windy day and let us know. 

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2020, 03:32:22 AM »
Hey Bill, where would you say the Axis 101 falls in size wise (and profile thickness) compared to the GoFoil GL wings? GoFoil doesn’t publish any useful  numbers on the GL’s which is a pain :o  Do you still have any GL wings to compare side by side? Thanks!

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2020, 06:56:58 AM »
I'm hooked on the 1010, speed of the 1000 and pump pattern and glides of the 1020. Needs a little more speed than the 1020 but if you pump quickly, it'll pop right up onto foil. The 460 rear speeds it up onto foil faster than a 370 rear. Took a little practice to not pump as much as the 1000 and trust that it would keep gliding. Was getting doubles with the 1000 now triples are easy and if the waves line up, no limit. I was on a ultra short fuselage but, I'll test it on a short fuselage soon to see if the glide is better. Found the glide allowed me to rest more between pumps and glide over income swell easily to get the next wave.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2020, 07:52:57 AM »
I am not sure if it is obvious in the image but the 460 is not going to give any real downlift / negative lift especially in relation to the 500, 440 (pictured).  In relation to the others it is wafer thin and very low angle. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2020, 08:51:10 AM »
Hey Bill, where would you say the Axis 101 falls in size wise (and profile thickness) compared to the GoFoil GL wings? GoFoil doesn’t publish any useful  numbers on the GL’s which is a pain :o  Do you still have any GL wings to compare side by side? Thanks!

The only GL wing I have is a 240, and that's a weird one. I'd say the lift is like a Iwa, but it's a lot faster a glides better.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2020, 02:12:16 PM »
I laid the 1010 on top of the GL-210 today. Surface area looks the same to me.

The 1010 is a little wider, with a shorter cord.

My current thinking is, I’ll use the 1010 more for SUP, and the 1000 more for winging. I like the way curved tip front wings jibe better. It’s like the difference in a slalom fin versus wave fin.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2020, 03:10:13 PM »
I sold my 1010 to a buddy today. That wing style (flat) is not for me. I much prefer the better surfing, better turning 1000. I will give up a little raw pump and glide, for what is more important and satisfying to me.

Like I said before, it’s like the difference between a vertical race fin and a swept back wave fin. I’ll take the wave fin every time.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Axis foils
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2020, 01:09:27 PM »
Has anyone measured the weight of their full Axis foil rig (say 1020 wing, short fus, 75cm mast, etc) or whatever they’re specifically using? Really curious where they are coming in at.

You can try them all when you come down here.

Cool! I’ll bring my scale. :)  My Gong rig weighs in at ~10.5 pounds (pro XL, 65cm mast). My Moses rig with a 70 cm mast and the 790 front wing weighs in at ~6.75 pounds. The difference is really noticeable. I figure just like the board, all that swing weight of the foil starts to add up.

Has anyone had the opportunity to weigh their Axis foil setup yet? I currently have the Gong XXL setup and am interested in getting a lighter weight foil, such as the Axis 1020. But I want to know just how much lighter it is to see if it's worth it.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2020, 01:44:56 PM »
10.5 lbs for 102 with short fuse, 500 rear and 75cm mast.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal