Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403035 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2020, 05:15:44 AM »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2020, 08:25:00 AM »
1010 front and 460 rear showed up yesterday.  Here are some comparison shots. 

The first couple are self explanatory.  The shots with 4 wings are 900, 1000, 1010, 1020 front to back.  The last shot is the 1000 with the 1010.  The 1010 and 460 flat almost flat on the ground. 

I had prepared myself for the 1010 to be paper thin.  It is not.  The 460 tail is super thin.  Gotta say, together they look badass....and very fast.

We still have to wait 2 weeks to get anything wet.  Arggghh!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:38:43 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2020, 08:42:23 AM »
UPS shows my 1010 arriving Wednesday.

I passed on the 460 tail based on my experience riding my GoFoil team rider buddies GL setup and his feedback on all his custom tail wings.

I want the pump and glide, but will sacrifice some of that, to remove the skittishness of all flat front and rear setups.

The next time flkiter and I ride together, will can do some back to back testing of 460 flat tail versus 440 curved.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2020, 04:42:45 PM »
Once those foil wings come in I'll be heading up your way DW. Going to have you try the 370 rear also. Speeds up the 1000 wing and makes it loose but the turns seem to be tighter.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2020, 10:52:13 AM »
I am a kite foiler, SUP surfer. I just got a wing. I wanted to understand why mast stiffness is so important to people in this thread and how and when sufficient or inadequate stiffness. is noticed (how it affects the feel and performance). Thanks

The carbon flexes more than aluminum mast. My buddy rode the carbon already. He is staying Aluminum.

Was the difference in stiffness so big that it was also not nice when winging? Or just paddling?

In that case I will have to wait for carbon mast V2 with integrated fuse

I have a Gofoil 29,5 carbon mast , stiff enough but not as stiff as Axis aluminium masts, but the new Gofoil wings are too expensive to build a quiver...
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2020, 11:01:12 AM »
In my opinion, the less stiff the mast when you're sup'ing with big wings gives more wobble to the board. You may not notice it till you get on a stiffer mast. You'll usually use up more energy standing waiting for waves with a more flexible mast. I was getting like 30-40 mins of water time with a naish set up. Went to an hour or so with the Neil Pryde but still couldn't handle ocean conditions in over 10 knot wind conditions. Went to Axis and now I can sup for hours, be out in 20+ knots of wind and went from a 6'4" to a 5'8" board.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2020, 09:40:59 PM »
I am a kite foiler, SUP surfer. I just got a wing. I wanted to understand why mast stiffness is so important to people in this thread and how and when sufficient or inadequate stiffness. is noticed (how it affects the feel and performance). Thanks

IMHO we all tend to get a bit preoccupied with technology of our gear over basic wing foiling skills

I’m most likely riding with the most flexible mast out there, Gong’s Al mast. It’s a thin kite foil mast developed when the average recreational kite foil wing was in the 500-700 sq cm range. I had the exact same mast on a 600 sq cm RRD kite foil 2 years ago :o (all from the same Asian factory). I’m now using that same mast on a 1900 sq cm foil. All you have to do is grab the foil wing tip and push on it gently to feel how easy the mast flexes.

So you can readily feel some minor wobble foiling in choppy water, or stomping on the rail to carve a turn. Does it make huge difference for learning to wing in choppy flat water conditions? I don’t think so at all. Heck, the Gong team riders were/are doing moves on those same aluminum masts that 99% people on this forum will never achieve, myself included. For  paddle down winding and wave riding I think the flex would be more of a issue, and at a certain skill level, flex will certainly be a bigger issue. For most of the readers here, I doubt it

But we do love to talk about our techie gear, and spend money as fast as we can on even more techie gear! It’s what we do.....
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:15:08 PM by obxDave »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2020, 04:16:00 AM »
If you SUP, then the mast stiffness helps a lot. It makes it way easier to stand on the board.

Other sports, with something more than just a paddle blade to lean on for balance, the lack of mast stiffness is a lot less important. So wings, sails, kites, don’t worry about it. But if you buy a SUP to start winging, with plans to SUP one day, then do yourself a favor now, and get a stiff mast.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2020, 08:13:10 AM »
If you SUP, then the mast stiffness helps a lot. It makes it way easier to stand on the board.

Other sports, with something more than just a paddle blade to lean on for balance, the lack of mast stiffness is a lot less important. So wings, sails, kites, don’t worry about it. But if you buy a SUP to start winging, with plans to SUP one day, then do yourself a favor now, and get a stiff mast.

Also, the more you weigh, the more you notice this. 200 lb club for sure.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2020, 11:26:45 AM »
With these questions about stiffness, I thought, "say, we can do some testing".

Yes, my test setup does include "B Is For Bedtime" and more appropriately, "Stupidity Should Be Painful".

First I did a few pushups on the mast.  Nothing.  Then I stood on it.  I felt zero flex.  Nothing.  I asked Chan to stand on it.  This thing is extremely stiff.  Way stiffer that our other carbon masts were. 

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »
that's stiff indeed though I heard some people said they flex a little.
It would be interesting to do a flex comparison with the gofoil 29.5 mast?

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2020, 10:15:26 PM »
That is not a good way to test the stiffness of a mast, the moment-arm is only half the length of the mast

Attach the base to a wall , attach a fuse with an S1020 and apply force to the wingtips....

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2020, 11:29:27 PM »
That is not a good way to test the stiffness of a mast, the moment-arm is only half the length of the mast

Attach the base to a wall , attach a fuse with an S1020 and apply force to the wingtips....

Hi Soepkip,

Our other carbon masts would noticeably flex under just a pushup (not kneeling or standing) supported in the same manner at both ends.  This is just a quick and easy test that offers a comparison that anyone can do at home in a few seconds without mounting anything.  You probably don't want to try standing on an aluminum mast supported like this if you think it might bend :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:35:08 PM by Admin »

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2020, 11:27:11 PM »
When will the 660 be available?

My guess is now, because the buy button went live.

https://axisfoils.com/collections/surf-foil-wings/products/s-series-660mm-carbon-front-wing

I wonder how good th S660 will be for winging in waves?
Would you need to take a bigger wing and more than 15 knots to to get flying?
It would of course help if you are 65 kg/140lb but what if you are 85 kg/ 190 lbs?
@85 kg it is perhaps better to wait for the S770 and S880?
I like the idea of a foil that turns really well for winging.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:47:46 PM by soepkip »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2020, 03:49:48 AM »
I wonder how good th S660 will be for winging in waves?
Would you need to take a bigger wing and more than 15 knots to to get flying?

The primary reason a 4m wing ding works, when kite foilers are using 8 meters, is we use massive foils.

Take away the massive foil and use that S660 Adrian kites with, and now you need an 8m wing ding.

Or very high winds. Better move to the Gorge.  The S880 will be my wave riding foil for winging.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal