Author Topic: Axis Foils  (Read 403040 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Axis Foils
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2020, 02:30:28 AM »
Anybody tried the new S1010 ?

I really hope it will be easy to lift but it is only 1430 cm2 , just a little bit bigger than the S1000

Ericfoil has ridden it. He says I will love it. It will not be easier to get airborne than the 1020 or 920. It’s in the same class wing as the 1000, just the next level, specific to down winding, super glider style.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2020, 04:28:55 PM »
Package from Axis showed up today.  The new carbon mast looks sweet!  They really cleaned up all of the joints and have eliminated all of the ledges and hard edges.  No potential for a sloppy pedestal connection now.  I get the weight at .5 lb. lighter than the aluminum (with pedestal and doodad and hardware). 

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:01:19 PM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2020, 05:48:14 PM »
But now you have to remove the t nut from the screw. Nooooooo

Slotted based plate is GOLD.  ;D

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2020, 10:23:30 PM »
Yes it will take a few minutes more to attach it to the board, not so nice.

Please test the stiffness of the mast, .5 lbs lighter (226 gr) is nice but the stiffness is much more important to me , especially when I use a paddle and not a wing

I suppose the carbon mast will be faster when flying because the part in the water is thinner and narrower?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2020, 12:42:13 AM »
Soepkip,

The carbon flexes more than aluminum mast. My buddy rode the carbon already. He is staying Aluminum.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2020, 02:07:26 AM »
The carbon flexes more than aluminum mast. My buddy rode the carbon already. He is staying Aluminum.

Was the difference in stiffness so big that it was also not nice when winging? Or just paddling?

In that case I will have to wait for carbon mast V2 with integrated fuse

I have a Gofoil 29,5 carbon mast , stiff enough but not as stiff as Axis aluminium masts, but the new Gofoil wings are too expensive to build a quiver...

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2020, 03:04:35 AM »
I suppose the carbon mast will be faster when flying because the part in the water is thinner and narrower?

The carbon mast is .5 inch narrower at the fuse connection and it is significantly thinner up there as well.  The thickness difference is really noticeable (with the exception of the base) The last foot and a half are greatly reduced in comparison with the aluminum (which are obviously constant over the entire mast). 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2020, 03:07:17 AM »
My buddy prone surfed the carbon mast.

So far, I know of no company making a carbon mast as stiff as the axis aluminum. Slingshot is working on some trick tech carbon mast for windsurfing they claim will be the stiffest carbon on the market.

Just avoid carbon until the day comes someone figures out how to match the Axis aluminum. For us anyway.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2020, 04:11:28 AM »
But now you have to remove the t nut from the screw. Nooooooo

Slotted based plate is GOLD.  ;D

Slotted base is really nice.  For our use, we leave our 76 masts on all the time.  That way we only have to attach the two fuse screws and we are off.  The fuse screws on the carbon have less than half the thread length, so that is nice.  We never shimmed our bases so these may be stiffer for us  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:14:38 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2020, 05:23:42 AM »
We never shimmed our bases so these may be stiffer for us  :)

Say what....you crazy. You don’t drink beer? No access to aluminum shim stock. Hell, I shimmed and hammer my Dodad in. I like everything solid as a rock.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2020, 04:38:58 PM »
The Gul wing explained. Sounds good to me.

They are sending my 1010 wing  ;D

https://youtu.be/1bmEuy1hliU

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2020, 06:07:33 PM »
Hard not to agree with Exiled who posted earler in this thread at how similar the 660mm Axis wing is to the KeNalu IWA wings. Very similar in appearance and size to the IWA 580. Not to say that it was a copy of the KeNalu wing but I wonder if there was some inspiration there? I know that KeNalu is very popular in Australia. Lots of people there must have tested the KeNalu IWA series. And I know how good the KeNalu 580 is for kiting. That is a great video and Adrian explained much of what I experienced kiting on the KeNalu 580. That thing rips in the turns. Very easy to lay it over and drive through a turn without excessive lift. I'm sure the 660 will be a great wing. Not blistering fast with that thickness and a bit draggy but will excel in large surf or kiting in windy conditions where control in gnarlier conditions is needed. George at Delta Foils can make a VERY stiff carbon strut from his knowledge making kiteracing foils. He has Aluminum stuts as well. He just finished an 1880 cm2 and 2200 cm2 wing ready for testing.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2020, 07:11:32 PM »
The design elements of wings have been researched for 120 years, there isn't anything proprietary or unique about them, it's a matter of "do you want cheese with that", a set of well-worn compromises. Of course, while there is at least 100 years of hydrofoil research, the massive body of design testing is in air, where you have to worry about Reynolds number and compression, plus that little 1000 times more dense thing. So no, we don't need a wing the size of a hang glider to fly low and slow, but everything else is just picking from the menu.

Dihedral on a foil, especially in the context of a surfing foil, is a sensible choice in certain applications. Self-stability and banking for turns are two benefits. A flat wing will always be more efficient, but they don't bank and they don't self-correct. Anyone who has ever flown a rudder-only RC sailplane knows you can make banked turns with only a rudder if your wing has dihedral, and you need ailerons and an elevator if it doesn't. We are more or less rudder-only. Yeah, we manage pitch like we had elevators and some people bank flat wings with body weight as if they had ailerons, but that's them. the rest of us are rudder-only as far as turns go. A flat wing will just skid through a rudder-only turn. We might not sense that with a foil since we're standing two feet above a tiny (relatively) wing, but that gull wing should enable some wicked smooth turns. That's what I was aiming for with the fat boy wing, but didn't really get there since I wasn't able to start the dihedral close to the wing base. Next time I'll do a better one. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 07:18:29 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2020, 12:42:53 AM »

Nice!  Stoked to hear how that one goes.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2020, 01:00:52 AM »
The Gul wing explained. Sounds good to me.
The 1010 is all about speed it seems , I just hope it will be not too difficult to fly and turn for normal human beings

Adrian doesn't mention winging , I wonder how good the 660 (and the 770 and 880) will be for winging ?
When will the 660 be available?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal